First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Electronics Technician
I just got home from having the OE hitch installed. My son got it for me for Fathers day, just didn't have the time to get it installed until now. I don't know how much he paid for it so I won't include that in this little rant.

I paid $220 for installation. I was expecting it to be more, so I was happy with that. What I was not happy with is what they wanted to charge me for the wiring harness and the Plug.

parts.ford.com listed prices
FU5Z14489A (plug) $37.71
KB3Z15K868D (Harness) $62.76

Dealer Quoted Prices
FU5Z14489A (plug) $75.00
KB3Z15K868D (Harness) $95.00

I questioned the prices they wanted to charge me and their response was that that's the price and could not go lower because they can't sell them at cost.
I directed them to the parts.ford.com by way of their own website. Dealer website -> Service & Parts -> Shop Ford Parts. That takes them to Parts.ford.com
The Service Adviser didn't have an answer for that and went as far as saying that he's never seen that web page before. I did get the plug and harness for the cheaper price. Although the entire time I was waiting for my truck the SA kept telling me that I got a great deal with how much i paid for the plug and harness.
It would have been a good deal if I didn't have to argue with him for 10 minutes.

I also was looking for some Center caps for the Mustang and the parts guy said that parts.ford.com wasn't a real ford website because the prices were so low compared to what was on their system and they will not honor the prices listed on the site.

I don't know if they are playing dumb or they are actually clueless.
even though I bought the truck from them and have two years of oil changes with them. I will not be using them for anything else.
Sponsored

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Actual prices will vary from dealer to dealer. My local dealer sells all their accessories for more than MSRP, while another one about an hour away sells for below MSRP.

However, the fact that they lied to you about the website (Never seen it? Not a real Ford site? C'mon!) is completely unacceptable in my book. This should be the last business they get from you.

OP
OP

gttafoya

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Electronics Technician
Good thing I'm not planning on buying another car anytime soon. I'll be looking at other options for parts/accessories.

On a side note. I have a non-hitch rear bumper if anyone needs one.

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
$225 for hitch install? Seriously? I did mine in my driveway in 20 minutes.
Literally it took 2 vice grips, a 1/2" drive socket set and my torque wrench.
If my Dewalt charger hadn't been unplugged and I had charged batteries it probably would have only taken 10 minutes.
Dealerships are either over calculating labor times or charges.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
$225 for hitch install? Seriously? I did mine in my driveway in 20 minutes.
Literally it took 2 vice grips, a 1/2" drive socket set and my torque wrench.
If my Dewalt charger hadn't been unplugged and I had charged batteries it probably would have only taken 10 minutes.
Dealerships are either over calculating labor times or charges.
OEM hitch is significantly more troublesome to install than the Curt or Drawtite aftermarket ones. Several threads on this.

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
OEM hitch is significantly more troublesome to install than the Curt or Drawtite aftermarket ones. Several threads on this.
didn't realize it was such a PITA, just looked at that. Crazy....have to say I am glad I went with the (EDIT)~ Draw Tight hitch. Heck it even looks better, mine is out of the way under the bumper...knee saver.

Last edited:

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I woulda been irritated too. If you can't price match when someplace or online is lower then you, then you don't get the sale and I place online order right there. I save money where I can, upcharge the next chump. Sorry, not sorry, don't care. :/ (Save the small buisness BS, not my problem or my fault. Blame amazons 2 day prime).
My mini rant over.

Atleast its done though. :fistbump:

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
didn't realize it was such a PITA, just looked at that. Crazy....have to say I am glad I went with the CURT hitch. Heck it even looks better, mine is out of the way under the bumper...knee saver.
Personally I would have preferred the OEM, as I think it looks better how it's sort of integrated into the bumper. Once I started seeing the trouble that people were having getting it installed, however, it was an easy choice for me to place the order for the Drawtite instead.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I've price checked parts with local dealers. Claimed they are unable to compete with low price online discounts. I ordered on line, often with free shipping and no tax.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
You mean like the range here for the trailer brake controller and install for various dealers within ~2 hours of my place?

1607369362482.png

In any case, I agree with others, whatever is going on with this dealer, avoid them in the future if they refuse to recognize that as a legitimate site.

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
didn't realize it was such a PITA, just looked at that. Crazy....have to say I am glad I went with the (EDIT)~ Draw Tight hitch. Heck it even looks better, mine is out of the way under the bumper...knee saver.
That's the one I went with also, am more than pleased.
Sponsored