First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat CrewCab
Occupation
Sales
Picked up an extra set of these wheels that need some TLC. Does anyone have the actual paint code? Thanks in advance!
B5239F45-C6DF-4A95-B190-9C6DCBDB5485.jpeg
Sponsored

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I don't think there's any metallic to the paint, so I'd just get a glossy black.
As far as vehicle paint, when we order fiberglass truck caps... all trucks have a paint code, but in my experience black is black no matter the paint code unless it's a metallic black paint.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Hit them with a good LED light, any effect at all (metallic or pearl)? If not, then Ford code UA Jet Black. AKA "Factory Pack Black."

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think there's any metallic to the paint, so I'd just get a glossy black.
As far as vehicle paint, when we order fiberglass truck caps... all trucks have a paint code, but in my experience black is black no matter the paint code unless it's a metallic black paint.
Oh how I wish that were true. Many No-effect black colors these days have Blue Tints and Red Shade Yellow tints and all kinda weird stuff added to the mix.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh how I wish that were true. Many No-effect black colors these days have Blue Tints and Red Shade Yellow tints and all kinda weird stuff added to the mix.
Been doing ordering of painted caps for decades. Have only ever seen black or met black. Although we always give the paint code on the order, to my eye I have never seen any difference in black trucks unless they have metallic paint. Maybe cars are different though.

In any case, I'm going to ask our fiberglass cap supplier if they have run into that in truck black paint codes when they're mixing paint.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Been doing ordering of painted caps for decades. Have only ever seen black or met black. Although we always give the paint code on the order, to my eye I have never seen any difference in black trucks unless they have metallic paint. Maybe cars are different though.

In any case, I'm going to ask our fiberglass cap supplier if they have run into that in truck black paint codes when they're mixing paint.
This is GM 8556. It just looks black but has other additives. Ford UA doesn’t have weird stuff mixed in though.

65E86CBC-E290-408A-B35F-29F61064EE7F.jpeg

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is GM 8556. It just looks black but has other additives. Ford UA doesn’t have weird stuff mixed in though.

65E86CBC-E290-408A-B35F-29F61064EE7F.jpeg
Not a pick up truck, that's for a Tahoe. GMC Onyx Black for pick up truck is GBA (8555). Out of curiosity if you have the mix for 8555 to compare?

Colorado and Silverado also use 8555. Silverado is also offered in GB8 384A Mosaic Black Metallic.

As far as there being different formulas... in truck caps it all comes down to what the eye sees as far as satisfaction. Other than blacks, some paint codes we are provided a couple different paint swatches to hold up to the truck because there could be variation in the paint color depending on which factory the truck was manufactured at. To the eye, they may all look the same until you actually hold one up one of the paint swatches to the truck, then you can see one matches closer than the other (and all have the same paint code).

Anyway, I still say OP should just get a glossy black for touch up... to the eye, it should be fine.

Last edited:

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not a pick up truck, that's for a Tahoe. GMC Onyx Black for pick up truck is GBA (8555). Out of curiosity if you have the mix for 8555 to compare?

Colorado and Silverado also use 8555. Silverado is also offered in GB8 384A Mosaic Black Metallic.

As far as there being different formulas... in truck caps it all comes down to what the eye sees as far as satisfaction. Other than blacks, some paint codes we are provided a couple different paint swatches to hold up to the truck because there could be variation in the paint color depending on which factory the truck was manufactured at. To the eye, they may all look the same until you actually hold one up one of the paint swatches to the truck, then you can see one matches closer than the other (and all have the same paint code).

Anyway, I still say OP should just get a glossy black for touch up... to the eye, it should be fine.
I mistyped, the pic i showed is indeed GM 8555. Oh yes the different variations of the same paint code will drive you wild.

OP
OP

Charlesbrown165

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat CrewCab
Occupation
Sales
Appreciate all of the responses. Looking for actual FORD oem paint code to order touch up paint for DIY repair. I know that I have purchased motorcraft touch up paint for 2017 escape wheels directly from the dealer. Stopped at a dealer today and parts guy said Ford no longer provides touch up paint for retail. Strange.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I use Universal Black touch up from most auto parts store for all black wheels.
Sponsored