Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase
So, can someone help me understand these tire ratings?
I have, what appear to be, "P" tires on my FX4, that came from factory. I see that lots of people are trading up to an LT tire, which I guess is supposed to provide more plys which makes the tires sturdier and less prone to puncture or have a blow out? (Am on the right page so far?) So I am looking at the LT version of the very tire that I have now, the H/K AT-M's, in the same size, etc, Tread pattern, side lugs, etc, are all identical. I see that the even though the LT tire has a "C" load rating, it appears to be about 200 lbs less load capable than the load rating of the "SL" Standard Load tire. 2469 pounds on P "SL" tire, and only 2270 pounds on the LT "C" tire. Plus the LT tire is about 7 pounds heavier per tire (which affects MPG's). It would seem to me that solely based on the maximum load rating, the P tire would be better, no? What am I not understanding?

Dynapro ATM 265/65R17 Tire Specs
SizeDiameterWidthRim
Range
Measured
Rim
Tread
Depth
Load
Range
Max
Load
Max
psi
Max
Speed
WeightSidewall
Letters
Revs/Mile
265/65R17
112T SL OWL
30.6"10.5"7.5-9.5"8"13/32"Standard Load2469 lbs51 psi118 mph37 lbsBlack/White Option?679
LT265/65R17
109T C OWL
31"10.6"7.5-9.5"8"13/32"C - 6 ply2270 lbs50 psi118 mph44 lbsBlack/White Option?675
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
This does a good job of explaining the differences... the answer to your question is basically that they are not designed using the same set of rules

LT Tires vs. Passenger Tires

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
This will hit the nail, directly on the head for you (or anyone else wondering the same).

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=195

Theres also a big difference on load ratings and required air pressures for LT and Pmetric Tires.

Example: My truck was spec'd for P265/60R18 @ 30psi. I now run a 10ply LT275/65R18 but to get that tire within to same load carrying specs for daily driving, I have to run that tire at a higher pressure.... about 40 psi to meet match the OE tire load rating.

Subduction

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Std. cab, SWB Ranger 2x4, 2.5L, 5-sp; 2014 XV Crosstrek
Occupation
Retired
As a trivia note: the ply rating is not necessarily the actual number of plies; modern materials allow fewer layers to be used.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Yup - different rating systems so it's nice to be able to reference the the Load Index to make sense of it.

It's sort of like Treadwear. There's guidelines, but what might be 300TW to one manufacture might another's 500TW.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
The ranger cannot tow or haul enough to need LT tires.

There is absolutely no reason to think you need LT's.

LT's are also much heavier and will wreck your MPG. By alot.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Our truck has LT tires, dealer ordered it that way.... it's a Wyoming thing I guess?

Our 2019 Ranger is averaging over 25 mpg, in a FX4.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner

That's a pretty broad statement.

I have E rated LT's, I still managed to get 25-27mpg highway when everything else was still stock.

I will continue to get E rated tires because I have a lot of weight in my truck, and will be traveling long distances to remote areas, over extremely varied terrain. A blowout could be catastrophic, so having tires that are durable is key.
adding up all the numbers, could a P tire handle it? technically yes. but an LT tire is going to be a lot less stressed, and most likely more reliable. not to mention there are a lot more tire options in LT.

all other factors the same, will a little bit of extra weight hurt fuel mileage? yes, but will it be enough for most people to notice? probably not.

It's worth looking into what you actually want to use your vehicle/tires for before you blatantly say "STAY AWAY".

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
This will hit the nail, directly on the head for you (or anyone else wondering the same).

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=195

Theres also a big difference on load ratings and required air pressures for LT and Pmetric Tires.

Example: My truck was spec'd for P265/60R18 @ 30psi. I now run a 10ply LT275/65R18 but to get that tire within to same load carrying specs for daily driving, I have to run that tire at a higher pressure.... about 40 psi to meet match the OE tire load rating.

I know I'm bringing a very old thread too life but... did you feel like the 275/65 18 is too heavy for the Ranger? This is my concern right now, I'm eyeing up a 285/65 18 K02 with a 10 ply rating.
Sponsored