First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Hitman
There's a right way and a wrong way to make stuff, and that will bear out as you use products, and rely on them in harsh conditions. GFC is direct to consumer, so you're not putting 40 percent of your money in a middle man's, and then a dealer's pocket. You're paying the same price for as a SmartCap, but getting over $3k in actual cost rather than $300.

It's no coincidence that other, foreign-made, distributor-and-dealer model products look just like the original. But look at the specs. OVS quotes 800 pounds of static load (with no methodology about how they calculated that), GFC conservatively quotes 800 pounds dynamic, and shows its products carrying a 5,000 pound truck on top.

The other problem with stuff designed and made in China or SA, the sold through dealers here is going to be support. When something goes wrong with a cheap knock off, who's going to pick up the phone? Are they going to have parts? Where are those parts located? Odds are, if they can help you at all, you're going to be looking at a total replacement cap, on who knows what timeline.

Roll your GFC in Death Valley? You can bring it to the shop in San Diego for a checkup, but odds are you aren't going to find anything wrong with it:
I won't argue that GFC is by far the superior option, especially compared to other options we have on the market. That being said, GFC raining supreme is not really the topic of discussion here.

Is OVS perfect? Probably not.

Will it suit a weekend warrior? I don't know yet, but I'll be finding out soon enough.

Plenty of people have used other OVS products and seem to be perfectly happy with them, especially when having tank-like durability is not a major concern. I understand that paying less may/will likely translate to lesser quality. However I am rather crafty and have full confidence in my ability to address any concerns that may arise with fitment or requiring additional bracing.

EDIT: I am also perfectly happy paying the middle man when I'm only out $2k instead of 10k
Sponsored

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
I won't argue that GFC is by far the superior option, especially compared to other options we have on the market. That being said, GFC raining supreme is not really the topic of discussion here.

Is OVS perfect? Probably not.

Will it suit a weekend warrior? I don't know yet, but I'll be finding out soon enough.

Plenty of people have used other OVS products and seem to be perfectly happy with them, especially when having tank-like durability is not a major concern. I understand that paying less may/will likely translate to lesser quality. However I am rather crafty and have full confidence in my ability to address any concerns that may arise with fitment or requiring additional bracing.

EDIT: I am also perfectly happy paying the middle man when I'm only out $2k instead of 10k
I get it, price is price.

Just note that we're talking bed caps not campers here, and the GFC Topper is $3,850.

OP
OP

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
i’ve got time, i’ll see how things pan out over the summer what my needs are. i’ll base it off that.
ARE claims 250 dynamic/600 static on their caps now, so that’s kinda nice. i guess they see the writing on the wall and need to keep pace.

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
So for fun I speced out the GFC platform toper with all the features. Shipping and install.
$6890
Get the F**k out of here 🤣

I'd take my chances with a china topper.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
So for fun I speced out the GFC platform toper with all the features. Shipping and install.
$6890
Get the F**k out of here 🤣

I'd take my chances with a china topper.
Again, it's $3850. Of which about $3k is cost.

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
You seem pretty invested in this brand so I'll entertain you.
I speced out a complete bare bones topper. Since this outfit won't ship it to me, I still have to go to NC for them to put it on my truck.
$4794.00
Throw in 2 days of my time, gas, a hotel, food that's $500.00 minimum

Again I'd take my chances with the chicom topper with windows, dropped off in my driveway.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
You seem pretty invested in this brand so I'll entertain you.
I speced out a complete bare bones topper. Since this outfit won't ship it to me, I still have to go to NC for them to put it on my truck.
$4794.00
Throw in 2 days of my time, gas, a hotel, food that's $500.00 minimum

Again I'd take my chances with the chicom topper with windows, dropped off in my driveway.
Hate to break it to you, but sales tax exists even for shitty products.

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
Alright man, enjoy your expensive bed cover.

OP
OP

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
i’ll agree the gfc is a totally different animal. my friend has had two at different times on his jeeps. it’s solid, really is.
i just don’t think that is what i need. if i did- id get that.
I’d always prefer keeping my money in the US.

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
Again, it's $3850. Of which about $3k is cost.
My Snugtop with Yakima rails and windoors was $4k. Had that GFC topper-only option been available (it wasn’t at the time) it would’ve directly competed price wise and I would’ve strongly considered it, probably would’ve bought it.

I agree the price is not outrageous when compared to other options. That said I get heartburn over a $4k canopy, period. My Snugtop does not have a 800 lb load carrying capacity so I sleep in an ultralight tent miles from truck or a Gazelle when next to it.

tcour

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hitman
Wes, obviously you are invested in GFC. You already mentioned you work on marketing for them, thus I assume you earn affiliate commission or something. That being said, I always avoid brands that like to talk shit about their competition. I just specked out a TOPPER from GFC to be as close to the OVS one as possible.

(without driving to Montana) $4500 because:

I have to add the front and rear windows that OVS comes with - add $400 (for windows? really?)

Add the cross rails - add $400 (literally twice the price as OVS)

Add install because GFC wont ship/assume I'm too knuckle-headed to assemble a box - add $175 if I'm willing to...

drive 12 hours to get to Montana for the cheapest install, else it only goes up from there - add roughly $500 in fuel for round trip.

So with the travel I'm looking at over $5000. Cool story bro, I'll stick with the Chinese made and just accept the fact that it is going to explode and kill all my loved ones in the process.

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 08.09.49.png

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
Wes, obviously you are invested in GFC. You already mentioned you work on marketing for them, thus I assume you earn affiliate commission or something. That being said, I always avoid brands that like to talk shit about their competition. I just specked out a TOPPER from GFC to be as close to the OVS one as possible.

(without driving to Montana) $4500 because:

I have to add the front and rear windows that OVS comes with - add $400 (for windows? really?)

Add the cross rails - add $400 (literally twice the price as OVS)

Add install because GFC wont ship/assume I'm too knuckle-headed to assemble a box - add $175 if I'm willing to...

drive 12 hours to get to Montana for the cheapest install, else it only goes up from there - add roughly $500 in fuel for round trip.

So with the travel I'm looking at over $5000. Cool story bro, I'll stick with the Chinese made and just accept the fact that it is going to explode and kill all my loved ones in the process.

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 08.09.49.png
There's 8 install locations nationwide. But yeah, we don't have sales tax in Montana, so it's often worth a visit just for that reason (and because it's Montana).

I totally get that not everyone has the budget, I'm just trying to help illustrate where money goes when you buy the knock offs (mostly to middle men, not value in the product you receive). And heck, I'm a writer, plagiarism gets me riled up.

If I was short on cash and needed a cap, I'd just get a Soft Topper. Gets the job done, and doesn't get in the way.

tcour

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hitman
i’m most likely switching to a cap soon, and saw overland vehicle systems is releasing this cap for the ranger in august.
i haven’t seen much on it, does anyone that’s more “in the know” have any info on it? i know they were at expo.

apparently its made from 304 stainless, weighs 175, and holds 800 on the roof static, 325 dynamic. other than that i got nothing.
Where did you see/hear that they are releasing in August? I was told to expect mine come winter, but I sure would be happy to see it sooner...

OP
OP

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
Where did you see/hear that they are releasing in August? I was told to expect mine come winter, but I sure would be happy to see it sooner...
OVS. she said August, sept.
and it’s non-magnetic stainless too.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
Depends on when the shipping container from China arrives...
Sponsored