Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Nice big bird.
Say do these birds hang around when you go outside or do they immediately spread their gigantic wings and leave post haste?
They seem pretty docile..this is the first one I have seen.
Regards
Sponsored

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
We have over a hundred Canada geese that have decided to make our pond (5 acres) their home. They sure do leave a lot of "calling cards" around the edge where I have to mow and weed eat. I hate them, but it's illegal to shoot them!

Reactions: Doc

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We have over a hundred Canada geese that have decided to make our pond (5 acres) their home. They sure do leave a lot of "calling cards" around the edge where I have to mow and weed eat. I hate them, but it's illegal to shoot them!
Hi Eddie,

At the Ford Engineering and Research Complex, we had two reflecting ponds either side of the main entrance. These ponds also served as the cooling water for the Dynamometer Lab, a huge building with some 50 cells. The Canada Geese flocked to these ponds as they never froze due to the warm water out flow from the dyno cells. The company tried netting the geese and transporting them over to the west side of the state. Solved the problem for a few days until the geese returned...just like homing pigeons. With this epic fail, the company purchased about a dozen real life size plastic swans. The geese left and solved our problem... I hear after my retirement that the ponds were removed as they were a PITA for the facility maintenance.

Best.
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I had heard that real swans would make them leave, but I never thought of plastic ones! Live swans are super expensive--I've heard about $1,000/pair. I can't confirm that. It looks like it's time to do a little googling. Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored