New Mountain bikes?

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
You think getting a new Bronco or Ranger is tough, try getting a new MTB.

:(
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sanctus Rimor

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
25 years riding Specialized. I'm kinda stuck in a brand loyal rut here, but Pivot has my attention.

And I'm closer to 60 than 50, and some of my older riding buds (closer to 60 than 70) are trying to sell me on the virtues of an eMTB. I don't think I'm quite there yet, but I checked them out just for the helluvit. And holy crap...the bike I found, speced the way I want...is damn near as much as my KTM 890.

If I'm gonna spen that kind of $$$ I'm getting something a little (lot?) less environmentally friendly.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
I’m always amazed at the price for full squish bikes. They can cost as much as a motorcycle and there is no engine!

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Recently purchased these Giants for my wife and myself. Just a good quality set of bikes. Nothing extreme by any means as these are mostly road riding/exercise tools.

20220524_134658.jpg

20220524_134644.jpg

Deleted member 15875

25 years riding Specialized. I'm kinda stuck in a brand loyal rut here, but Pivot has my attention.

And I'm closer to 60 than 50, and some of my older riding buds (closer to 60 than 70) are trying to sell me on the virtues of an eMTB. I don't think I'm quite there yet, but I checked them out just for the helluvit. And holy crap...the bike I found, speced the way I want...is damn near as much as my KTM 890.

If I'm gonna spen that kind of $$$ I'm getting something a little (lot?) less environmentally friendly.
I was in the same boat as you....until I rode one. Game over is all I can tell you. BUT, I did keep my Yeti 130 to compliment my Kenevo SL. They are bot great rides in their own right.

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainmerit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lightning Blue Lariat FX4
Indeed, wild time in the bike world. I work in it.

I lucked into a We Are One Arrival frameset this Spring, and I'm slowly accumulating the parts to finish it.

Fortunately, for MTB's I already have a capable all-mountain/enduro rig with my Ibis Ripmo, a XC beast Ibis Exie and a seldom-ridden but super fun Santa Cruz Chameleon hardtail so I'm not rushing the WR1 build too fast.

OP
OP
Sanctus Rimor

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
At 55, I was in the same boat as you....until I rode one. Game over is all I can tell you. BUT, I did keep my Yeti 130 to compliment my Kenevo SL. They are bot great rides in their own right.
I've really been leaning this way. Problem is, I was wanting a new m/c, and I figured if i was going to spend that kind of cash on something motorized, it was going to be a new motorcycle.

I was also concerned that an ebike make me soft. I'm not the climbing beast i used to be, but I still want the workout/fitness reward.

There are a lot of places to ride here-a lot of ridge roads, many descending 3-5 miles, and dropping 1500 to 2500 feet elevation. A lot not real conducive to the motorcycle, for various reasons. And i love just getting out for half day/full day excursions.

So I decided to do a little more research on the Specialized website. Wel...they had a deal i couldn't pass up on a Turbo Levo comp. Under 6k, and it will be here in 7-15 days. I REALLY hope their shipping timelines are on point, as i have a week off work in 18 days.

And I still have my Diverge and Tarmac to get the more serious workout on.

Deleted member 15875

I've really been leaning this way. Problem is, I was wanting a new m/c, and I figured if i was going to spend that kind of cash on something motorized, it was going to be a new motorcycle.

I was also concerned that an ebike make me soft. I'm not the climbing beast i used to be, but I still want the workout/fitness reward.

There are a lot of places to ride here-a lot of ridge roads, many descending 3-5 miles, and dropping 1500 to 2500 feet elevation. A lot not real conducive to the motorcycle, for various reasons. And i love just getting out for half day/full day excursions.

So I decided to do a little more research on the Specialized website. Wel...they had a deal i couldn't pass up on a Turbo Levo comp. Under 6k, and it will be here in 7-15 days. I REALLY hope their shipping timelines are on point, as i have a week off work in 18 days.

And I still have my Diverge and Tarmac to get the more serious workout on.
You timed it well. Bike prices have come down a lot and discounts to be had everywhere. Yeti, Specialized, etc. You worry about being soft..Turn off your motor and let me know if you still feel like a cheater. :like:

OP
OP
Sanctus Rimor

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
hahaaaa...yeah...after watching some review/comparison vids last night, I don't think that will be a concern anymore. It might actually become a fear of "OMG My BATTERY IS DEAD!" But I do have days where I like to go out and just puish myself (i've been trail running to get that fix), so this should be interesting.

Deleted member 15875

hahaaaa...yeah...after watching some review/comparison vids last night, I don't think that will be a concern anymore. It might actually become a fear of "OMG My BATTERY IS DEAD!" But I do have days where I like to go out and just puish myself (i've been trail running to get that fix), so this should be interesting.
I kept my Yeti when I bought my Specialized and glad I did but most of my riding is eBike now. They absolutely shred DH and are WAY more planted then an acoustic. Right now my mix is 80% eBike, 20% or less acoustic.

OP
OP
Sanctus Rimor

Sanctus Rimor

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RMT Ranger
Kinda wishing i had kept my FSR Enduro.

Got the shipping notification yesterday. With luck, I'll be riding the new one Sunday.

Been watching a lot of vids on eMTB, and one thing I've learned-I had some serious misconceptions out e bikes. I was one of those e bike haters (prob spent too much time followinging Drunk Cyclist-now I just want to troll him-hahaaa!), didn't see them as real bikes, thought the riders were lazy, cheaters, etc...But man, I'm starting to get pretty excited for this thing to get here now.

I am feeling a little bit of guilt/shame/sin going this route, (just a little) but I imagine that will all go away after my first rides. Maybe as penance, I'll get that Enduro S Works frame set and do a slow build over he next few months or so... ? This isvjust beauty beyond beauty...

enduro.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: R_B