Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
They had to shorten the race because it started late an they weren't equipped to race in the dark. I like street courses an road courses but the problem is there's more tracks than dates. In the 90's they rushed to build new tracks an traditional old, small, unique tracks lost their race to cookie cutter mile an a half ovals. Ky had just a couple cup races then I think they lost all their dates unless the trucks still stop there. I don't follow it like I did back in the day but it'd be nice if they got a shot in the arm from this.
Agree. I think the days of two races at each track are numbered as Nascar tries out new and different places to hold races. They over built tracks when they were selling out most every race. Ky speed way is a good example. This area was already covered by Indy and Bristol. After a few years attendance fell off. Most recently the facility has been used to store Ford trucks that had parts missing due to supply chain issues. No racing.
Sponsored

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Racing in Chicago they're all lucky they didn't get shot in the arm.....or any other part of the body!
Red Eye.gif
In the news today " Five people are dead and at least 33 others have been wounded in shootings across the city of Chicago during the Fourth of July weekend, police say.

Hard to comprehend. :frown:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Agree. I think the days of two races at each track are numbered as Nascar tries out new and different places to hold races. They over built tracks when they were selling out most every race. Ky speed way is a good example. This area was already covered by Indy and Bristol. After a few years attendance fell off. Most recently the facility has been used to store Ford trucks that had parts missing due to supply chain issues. No racing.
Agreed. My brother lives about half an hour from KY speedway. I've seen the lots full from the highway driving by. Indy isn't a good track for NASCAR IMO. It works a lot better for quicker more nimble indy cars. They had a few xfinity races at Ky an they went well. The first cup race traffic was such a disaster they added lanes to the highway because some ticket holders never got to the track. All that money spent an bam no more races. They keep trying to drive away their core fans too. I don't know anyone that likes the stages or this crazy playoff system. They are trying to force the situation that year Tony Steward an Carl Edwards were the top to cars an the highest finisher in that race was going to win the title. They finished tied but Steward had more wins an that was the tiebreaker. It was very cool happening by just playing out that way but this forcing stuff isn't that great.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
In the news today " Five people are dead and at least 33 others have been wounded in shootings across the city of Chicago during the Fourth of July weekend, police say.

Hard to comprehend. :frown:
Yes it is.....sadly!

OP
OP
KJRR

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
They had to shorten the race because it started late an they weren't equipped to race in the dark. I like street courses an road courses but the problem is there's more tracks than dates. In the 90's they rushed to build new tracks an traditional old, small, unique tracks lost their race to cookie cutter mile an a half ovals. Ky had just a couple cup races then I think they lost all their dates unless the trucks still stop there. I don't follow it like I did back in the day but it'd be nice if they got a shot in the arm from this.
I get why they had to shorten the race. I think they could have determined that and announced it after stage 1 to allow teams to adjust. Instead they announced it at the end of stage 2 and teams had already made the decision to get stage points instead of pitting earlier. Whether intentional or not, it gives the appearance of pro wrestling. Like all the debris cautions a few years ago.
As far as the tracks they go to, reading what Harvick had to say, I agree with him. Go back to Chicago in 5 yrs or so. Try some other tracks. Personally, I love the dirt tracks. Pick one of those to add one year. A permanent dirt track would be different than the temp ones they do now. Some even have the facilities to accomodate a NASCAR crowd for at least once every few years. Let the corporate suits rough it for a weekend. Take away one of the dates from tracks that have 2 dates, rotate in other tracks like KY, Chicagoland, bring back the Brickyard and not the damn roadcourse, try the Daytona roadcourse. For the playoff races, rotate the tracks as much as you can. Obviously there are some climate limitations in October and November. Make sure the types of tracks are varied but only one superspeedway and one road course which I consider wildcard races as anyone can win.
I'm not against trying new tracks, just not a fan of some of the stupid calls they make and the hype surrounding the changes. Try new things but don't alienate your core fans.

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
I am a Race fan .. except for trucks.. I have been to a few races .. I am a huge fan of anything Joe Gibbs does and his team is who I root for.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I grew up watching the Bodine Brothers racing in Woodhall NY. They still a thing? Haven't watched NASCAR in ages.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
I grew up watching the Bodine Brothers racing in Woodhall NY. They still a thing? Haven't watched NASCAR in ages.
Todd Bodine is still involved as an analyst on Fox sports Nascar coverage. He ran a few truck races last year in order to reach some personal milestone. I think it was about his number of starts. Haven't heard from the others lately.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I get why they had to shorten the race. I think they could have determined that and announced it after stage 1 to allow teams to adjust. Instead they announced it at the end of stage 2 and teams had already made the decision to get stage points instead of pitting earlier. Whether intentional or not, it gives the appearance of pro wrestling. Like all the debris cautions a few years ago.
As far as the tracks they go to, reading what Harvick had to say, I agree with him. Go back to Chicago in 5 yrs or so. Try some other tracks. Personally, I love the dirt tracks. Pick one of those to add one year. A permanent dirt track would be different than the temp ones they do now. Some even have the facilities to accomodate a NASCAR crowd for at least once every few years. Let the corporate suits rough it for a weekend. Take away one of the dates from tracks that have 2 dates, rotate in other tracks like KY, Chicagoland, bring back the Brickyard and not the damn roadcourse, try the Daytona roadcourse. For the playoff races, rotate the tracks as much as you can. Obviously there are some climate limitations in October and November. Make sure the types of tracks are varied but only one superspeedway and one road course which I consider wildcard races as anyone can win.
I'm not against trying new tracks, just not a fan of some of the stupid calls they make and the hype surrounding the changes. Try new things but don't alienate your core fans.
I would love to see them race on a dirt track.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
If they're going to race on a dirt track race on a DIRT TRACK don't convert a paved track to a dirt track. Go someplace new. I'm not a dirt fan for NASCAR, I'd rather see outlaw cars on dirt myself. Guess I'm old an grumpy but I hated Toyota coming to NASCAR an I was disappointed when Dodge left. I find the truck series more entertaining than the cup a lot of the time.
Sponsored