My USB ports stopped working

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Spitballing here - but I do not remember the USB ports themselves having a dimming function- however the cubby ambient light just above the Media Hub has it - and due to the reflective nature of the faceplate- it appears as if it is the media hub.
I plan on diving into the wiring manual deeper to determine how the dimming function would affect power.
so far I only see power and ground from APIM - but no tie into dimming
Sponsored

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
It was for my truck. Unless there is a short somewhere in my module than IDK. Mine works now 100% of the time and had all the characteristics of what I described.
I have found the tie in to the reason you can get Carplay to work by adjusting the Lighting Illumination Dimmer.

Check out the attached PDF
The APIM (Sync Module) gets its Power from Fuse (31) at the BCM, and the BCM gets this specific circuit power from the DC/DC Convertor.

This is the only thing that would make sense by your description, you are losing power on this circuit, I suspect a dirty or lose connection on the circuit, or a dirty fuse (31) connection.

I would start with the Fuse, pull and reseat and pull the media hub and reseat the connectors on the back (the wired connector) will be hub power/ground
The Mini-USB is the charge and data feed to the APIM.
If you have a meter, check for proper voltage at the connector (Media Hub)
Assuming you have the Touchscreen: 8 in Screen
Pin 1: Yellow/Blue (Power)
Pin 4: White/Blue (Ground
You should be getting 12 volts across these 2 pins, even with dimming all the way down

It may boil down to a weak battery, which is very common on the Ranger, Sync Issues along with a long list of others are the first signs of battery nearing its end of life, the truck will start just fine, thats the BMS protecting the battery voltage for starting but it drops unnecessary modules including the SYNC system

Attachments

zachhicks27

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Software
I have found the tie in to the reason you can get Carplay to work by adjusting the Lighting Illumination Dimmer.

Check out the attached PDF
The APIM (Sync Module) gets its Power from Fuse (31) at the BCM, and the BCM gets this specific circuit power from the DC/DC Convertor.

This is the only thing that would make sense by your description, you are losing power on this circuit, I suspect a dirty or lose connection on the circuit, or a dirty fuse (31) connection.

I would start with the Fuse, pull and reseat and pull the media hub and reseat the connectors on the back (the wired connector) will be hub power/ground
The Mini-USB is the charge and data feed to the APIM.
If you have a meter, check for proper voltage at the connector (Media Hub)
Assuming you have the Touchscreen: 8 in Screen
Pin 1: Yellow/Blue (Power)
Pin 4: White/Blue (Ground
You should be getting 12 volts across these 2 pins

It may boil down to a weak battery, which is very common on the Ranger, Sync Issues along with a long list of others are the first signs of battery nearing its end of life, the truck will start just fine, thats the BMS protecting the battery voltage for starting but it drops unnecessary modules including the SYNC system
Thank you, I'll go through these and see if I get better consistency.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
The USB ports are a hot mess...both of mine are connected full time to a USB cords leading to iphone and ipad...at least once a month, one of the ports will not work...no charge no signal...sometimes swapping the two cords might fix it...sometimes...most of the time, there's no fix except to shut off the truck for 10 minutes and things would be back to normal...really annoying when I want head out...:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Late to this thread, but I've had my USB's stop working a few times. They have come back alive after I shut the power off and let the truck go to sleep (i.e. walk away with the key fob for 15 minutes... I have push button ignition).

taildraggerpilot

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2022 MINI JCW Hardtop
Occupation
Boeing Driver
Has anyone found an aftermarket USB hub that has one A and one C port?

RangerDanger617

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 - Cactus Grey
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I have the issue where occasionally the Sync3 will disconnect the phone being used on CarPlay. Sometimes happens on long trips. Eventually able to get it back fiddling with the cable. Unsure if its a loose/bad cable. Will have to try a different one at some point.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
Has anyone found an aftermarket USB hub that has one A and one C port?
I have this one. Scosche CPPDRLK-SP PowerVolt 27W Dash Port USB PD 3.0 Type-C Car Charger Compatible w/ Apple CarPlay & Android Auto Passthrough with USB-A to USB-C Adapter, Charger Socket for Car, Truck, Motorcycle https://a.co/d/5OP7v3t

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST, 2015 Escape SE 2.0
Occupation
IT
From my experience, at least with our 2019 Explorer we had, this is a known issue. If the USB port detects any type of anomaly, it will shut off until the next restart. So if the current draw is not in a range deemed “safe” by Ford, they shut down. It is a safety feature apparently.
it happened a lot with our Explorer, drove me nuts.

****Sorry, didn't see this was an older thread****

Last edited:

Lone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Hot Pepper
Before you get all crazy . . . power your iPhone all the way off and then restart it. You can also go into the settings and delete the last update. Apple has a habit of updating without telling you and not caring what they screw up. :(

taildraggerpilot

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Boeing Driver
I have this one. Scosche CPPDRLK-SP PowerVolt 27W Dash Port USB PD 3.0 Type-C Car Charger Compatible w/ Apple CarPlay & Android Auto Passthrough with USB-A to USB-C Adapter, Charger Socket for Car, Truck, Motorcycle https://a.co/d/5OP7v3t
i’m not looking for an expansion, I’m looking for a swap out module

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Web Developer
Last edited:

taildraggerpilot

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Boeing Driver
First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Web Developer
Please let me know how it worked out. I’d like to get a USB-C solution installed.
I'll be surprised if it solves my issue. I read the post saying when people re-activate the ambient lighting (that for whatever reason just turns off) it starts working and it started working for me. I'm thinking my battery needs replacement but I'll try the new hub to see anyway
Sponsored