Silverback

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
So both of my 2 front USB ports stopped working 3 weeks ago. I don’t know what happened since they worked perfectly fine before that. I’ve been looking everywhere for a fix. I checked the fuse, it’s fine, I restarted the sync system, nothin. My only thought is that the ports themselves just quit on me randomly or a wire is severed somewhere between the fuse and the ports. What is really puzzling is that I watched a video on an F150 with this same issue and the owner knew the ports died on him since the blue LED’s that boarders the USB’s wasn’t lighting up, but mine still light up, they just won’t power or charge anything. I found a replacement for the USB ports but I don’t want to spend $75 on a potentially solvable problem.
If there is anyone who has had this happen to them or know of a fix please let me know! I’m tired of using ford’s shotty Bluetooth I need CarPlay back. ?
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I believe those ports are connected directly to the infotainment system, so you should be looking there. They wouldn't be getting power directly from the fuse block.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Mine have acted up twice since 5/21. Everything in the Sync3 & usb ports was working normally. I shut the truck off with my iPhone still plugged in to the usb. I restarted the truck about an hour after and had no Sync3 functions but the phone was still paired w/Bluetooth. I disconnected the phone from the usb and turned it off (the phone) so it wouldn't pair to the BT and shut the truck off again. Rebooted the iPhone, started the truck and it paired, then plugged it in to the usb and it linked normally again with full Sync3 functionality. Still works normally when shutting the truck off w/the iPhone plugged in.

After the second time it did this, I got in the habit of plugging the phone in before starting the truck, or after the Sync3 is fully awake. I may have inadvertently goofed up the Sync3's boot sequence adding/using the phone while it was still waking.

OP
OP
Silverback

Silverback

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine have acted up twice since 5/21. Everything in the Sync3 & usb ports was working normally. I shut the truck off with my iPhone still plugged in to the usb. I restarted the truck about an hour after and had no Sync3 functions but the phone was still paired w/Bluetooth. I disconnected the phone from the usb and turned it off (the phone) so it wouldn't pair to the BT and shut the truck off again. Rebooted the iPhone, started the truck and it paired, then plugged it in to the usb and it linked normally again with full Sync3 functionality. Still works normally when shutting the truck off w/the iPhone plugged in.

After the second time it did this, I got in the habit of plugging the phone in before starting the truck, or after the Sync3 is fully awake. I may have inadvertently goofed up the Sync3's boot sequence adding/using the phone while it was still waking.
yea I’m not gonna lie I’ve had to do the same troubleshooting tricks before as well. I would always plug my phone in before or after starting the truck, never in between or else sync would freak out. But I would always still have power when that would happen. With this I’ve tried every wire and usb plug in my house and the front USB’s won’t power any of it. My rear USB’s and cigarette plugs work fine though.

OP
OP
Silverback

Silverback

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I believe those ports are connected directly to the infotainment system, so you should be looking there. They wouldn't be getting power directly from the fuse block.
So you’re saying that I’m gonna have to take the front fascia off to check this ?

OP
OP
Silverback

Silverback

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
try a new cable first, and if that doesnt work, try one of these to verify if you have power or not.

1644319644544.png
okay I’ll give this a go. I don’t have much confidence though I’ve tried close to 10 different USB cables including a flash drive who’s only purpose is to light up a small LED and that wouldn’t even go off. But the multimeter would be good to see if this is a wiring issue or software issue. Thanks

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
The ports in the lower dash are directly connected to the head unit.

It will look something like this.

AD056A2A-51DB-4DA1-BEB2-759D494CE21F.jpeg

When I had mine apart there is a connector at the top that supplies power for the ambient lighting and a single mini usb for charging and CarPlay / Android "whatever they call it".

The USB connects directly to the back of head unit to another mini USB port.

You either have a bad cable, loose cable, bad lower port, or the really bad scenario a bad port on the head unit.

It's easy enough to get to the lower port. Remove the left and right lower panels next to the 12VDC power panel. Remove the two bolts holding the 12VDC panel and remove. From the back push out the USB port. It pushes out towards the gear shift and is clipped in place. Get a mini usb to "x" USB adapter or another device that uses mini usb and test functionality. If the cable works then you have a bad port, or it was loose to begin with. Otherwise you will need to get to the back of the head unit (pain in the ass) and test from there.

If the cable is good you could test putting the cable in the other port. They are tied together.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
okay I’ll give this a go. I don’t have much confidence though I’ve tried close to 10 different USB cables including a flash drive who’s only purpose is to light up a small LED and that wouldn’t even go off. But the multimeter would be good to see if this is a wiring issue or software issue. Thanks
You might try pulling the fuse(s) or disconnecting the battery to give the system a good clean hardware reset/startup. If you disconnect the battery, check the manual for things to address when changing a battery, like the auto up/down drivers window….

OP
OP
Silverback

Silverback

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
The ports in the lower dash are directly connected to the head unit.

It will look something like this.

AD056A2A-51DB-4DA1-BEB2-759D494CE21F.jpeg

When I had mine apart there is a connector at the top that supplies power for the ambient lighting and a single mini usb for charging and CarPlay / Android "whatever they call it".

The USB connects directly to the back of head unit to another mini USB port.

You either have a bad cable, loose cable, bad lower port, or the really bad scenario a bad port on the head unit.

It's easy enough to get to the lower port. Remove the left and right lower panels next to the 12VDC power panel. Remove the two bolts holding the 12VDC panel and remove. From the back push out the USB port. It pushes out towards the gear shift and is clipped in place. Get a mini usb to "x" USB adapter or another device that uses mini usb and test functionality. If the cable works then you have a bad port, or it was loose to begin with. Otherwise you will need to get to the back of the head unit (pain in the ass) and test from there.

If the cable is good you could test putting the cable in the other port. They are tied together.
This is exactly what I was afraid of doing haha. Pulling apart the wires from behind the unit is something that I’m not too comfortable with (my expertise is fab work). But it does sound like the logical thing to do at this point. Thanks a lot for the info!

OP
OP
Silverback

Silverback

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
You might try pulling the fuse(s) or disconnecting the battery to give the system a good clean hardware reset/startup. If you disconnect the battery, check the manual for things to address when changing a battery, like the auto up/down drivers window….
tried that already… twice ? :headbang:

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
This is exactly what I was afraid of doing haha. Pulling apart the wires from behind the unit is something that I’m not too comfortable with (my expertise is fab work). But it does sound like the logical thing to do at this point. Thanks a lot for the info!

Also the blue LED's have nothing to do with the USB ports. They are powered via a separate cable that is tied into the ambient lighting.

zachhicks27

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Software
TLDR: FIX Dimmer switch for the glow lighting also controls the current to the USB headers for some reason, turn it all the way up and give the USB's max current and Carplay works.

Hello, not sure if this was resolved ever. I made this account just to answer this question. I am 99% sure that the interior dimmer for the console glow and dashboard lights that is located under the sideview mirror adjustments is the culprit. My girlfriend (owner of the truck) was complaining about how the words used to be brighter, and that her Carplay wasn't working. I figured the dimness was an easy fix and had her turn it all the way up. That's when I noticed the lighting around the USB's getting brighter, and I thought holy crap what a stupid design. The current for the usb lighting and the usb power both comes from the light, so when it's dim it get's less power than operable and doesn't work. Bone headed design.

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
I thought holy crap what a stupid design. The current for the usb lighting and the usb power both comes from the light, so when it's dim it get's less power than operable and doesn't work. Bone headed design.
This is not the case. The power to the USB ports is not controlled by the lighting dimmer.

zachhicks27

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Software
This is not the case. The power to the USB ports is not controlled by the lighting dimmer.
It was for my truck. Unless there is a short somewhere in my module than IDK. Mine works now 100% of the time and had all the characteristics of what I described.
Sponsored