Misfires

MrPEZident

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
2021, 26K miles. Was sitting in the drive thru and went to pull up and the truck sputtered violently and popped a check engine light. Tried to drive home and it had no power. Checked the codes and got P202 P203 P300 P302 and P303 all relating to a 2 and 3 cylender misfire. Anyone have a similar issue and if so what was the fix? Hoping it is just a couple of plugs and coil packs or a sensor or something so I don't have to go to the dealership. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Was sitting in the drive thru
THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM RIGHT THERE. YOUR RANGER WAS TELLING YOU NOT TO EAT PLASTIC FOOD

TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND DON'T MESS WITH IT DRIVE IT AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
the P203 and p202 codes are for inject circuit issues , get your truck to the dealer lol

Last edited:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
The First thing you need to do is check the Freeze Frame and Misfire Data at time of fault.
Yes, P0202 and P0203 are Injector related codes, but those can be generated by a failing injector or control circuit and by being disabled by the PCM to protect the CAT from excessive fuel. If the Misfire Event is bad enough the PCM will disable the injector.
So, it will take some T/Shoot to determine if the initial cause is the Injector or Plug/Coil.
There are a few other non-coded variables that ties into this. Cam/Crank Sensor Input, MAP/ Temp Sensor Inputs and Fuel Pressure.
Basically, it could be a simple fix or complex T/Shoot to find.
With (2) cylinders failing at the same time and next to each other may be misleading as only (1) cylinder can be causing both. The Misfire Event Monitor count will be higher on that cylinder.
My office chair guess without looking at it would be a bad coil, but I would recommend some T/Shoot first rather than throw parts at it.

OP
OP

MrPEZident

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
*UPDATE 1*
I swapped #2 with #1 plus #3 with #4 plugs and coil packs this weekend and no change.

Took to dealer this a.m. and they have troubleshoot it to a bad PCM. Covered under warranty. PCM is backorder, gave me a nice 2023 F-150 as a courtesy vehicle. Will update again after All is done or if something shiesty happens, ha.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Ok, it is rare for the PCM to actually fail- but it does happen.

21Blackout

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger
Occupation
Warranty Administrator for FMC
my experience says check spark plugs hopefully the dealer has done that. I had an engine replaced at 11654mi due to misfire on 2 and 3 come to find out the porcelain was gone from the plug's electrode inside the combustion chamber. FWIW if you have any? s about warrantable diagnoses I'm mor than happy to help.

OP
OP

MrPEZident

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
*UPDATE* 2 months waiting for a new PCM to come in. It FINALLY came in Monday and the dealership called me and asked for my 2nd key Fob so I brought it to them. Haven't heard from them since...they really suck, Monday was the first rime they contacted me since I dropped it off.

OP
OP

MrPEZident

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
*FINAL UPDATE* Got it back today, Thursday...drove home alright, no driving issues. Apparently the PCM actually was the culprit, kinda odd. Spent 2 hours cleaning the inside because the motherf**kers apparently left the windows down for the 2 months they had it and there was an inch of dust and bugs inside. I am a neat freak and that almost made my head explode.

If my Ranger ever breaks again, I will definitely skip my local and be taking it to one of the dealerships in the next town over!
Sponsored