First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat
Occupation
Builder of Metal
I am a true blue Ford fan but the misc vibrations on my 2019 Ranger are driving me bat shit crazy. I understand the two piece drive shaft running thru the gears but the random vibrations that seem to be coming from the left driver side suck. Is anybody having issues from 0 to 40 mph on the drivers side? Once on the highway it seems ok.
I don't know what to do!
My F150's and Aviator never had this issue!
Sponsored

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I am a true blue Ford fan but the misc vibrations on my 2019 Ranger are driving me bat shit crazy. I understand the two piece drive shaft running thru the gears but the random vibrations that seem to be coming from the left driver side suck. Is anybody having issues from 0 to 40 mph on the drivers side? Once on the highway it seems ok.
I don't know what to do!
I would take it in & let them check it. Several people have had similar complaints.

OP
OP
Jacdschu

Jacdschu

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Builder of Metal

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know what to do!
Hi John,

Lh side vibrations are not related to the two piece driveline no to start up shudder. It points to possible wheel balance concerns or improper brake rotor imbalance. Likely the vibration is there but the amplitude is diminished...

Dealer has tools to diagnose source and hopefully a remedy,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, Its not an issue at high speed. Could it still be a tire/rotor problem?
Hi John,

not all tire problems increase vibration at higher speeds. If it it tire related the tech at the dealer should be able to determine the source. When the vibrations are coming from one side only, the focus should be which end...front or back....then the likely culprits are the rotating components of this end. The world of NVH is quite complex so it is hard to say with certainty what it is.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Jacdschu

Jacdschu

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Builder of Metal
Hi John,

not all tire problems increase vibration at higher speeds. If it it tire related the tech at the dealer should be able to determine the source. When the vibrations are coming from one side only, the focus should be which end...front or back....then the likely culprits are the rotating components of this end. The world of NVH is quite complex so it is hard to say with certainty what it is.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thank you!

jerardisflossin

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Have you had the TSB for correcting the pinion angle done (20-2277)? My dealer screwed up mine and it caused all sorts of vibration with a heavy presence at 25 mph and a very prominent shudder on take off. I since received the kit from a fellow tech on here and performed the TSB again myself. Low and behold most of the vibes are gone. I still have a slight shudder but otherwise the vibrations are very minor now. Key is, they are still there but I feel I am pretty much princess and the pee status because my wife states its MUCH better.

The rear 2 piece driveshaft is extremely sensitive to the pinion angle. Ford should really have not made or spec'd it out of phase and IMO, there should be a TSB to replace that driveshaft. Ive been doing suspension setups in Jeeps for years and never had one be this sensitive to an exact angle. My dealer was being an ass about the TSB being done wrong but did acknowledge the vibration. They balanced the tires and chased other rabbit holes with no success. Basically handed the truck back and said "that's normal, sorry". Its unfortunate because honestly it gives me a very negative feeling on taking this truck in if anything else comes up. I paid attention to the instructions and did a better job. Its shameful to be honest.

Take it in and ask for the TSB. Make sure to go over the instructions WITH THE TECH. not the service advisor. They are freaking clueless. Be persistent and goodluck!

OP
OP
Jacdschu

Jacdschu

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Builder of Metal
Have you had the TSB for correcting the pinion angle done (20-2277)? My dealer screwed up mine and it caused all sorts of vibration with a heavy presence at 25 mph and a very prominent shudder on take off. I since received the kit from a fellow tech on here and performed the TSB again myself. Low and behold most of the vibes are gone. I still have a slight shudder but otherwise the vibrations are very minor now. Key is, they are still there but I feel I am pretty much princess and the pee status because my wife states its MUCH better.

The rear 2 piece driveshaft is extremely sensitive to the pinion angle. Ford should really have not made or spec'd it out of phase and IMO, there should be a TSB to replace that driveshaft. Ive been doing suspension setups in Jeeps for years and never had one be this sensitive to an exact angle. My dealer was being an ass about the TSB being done wrong but did acknowledge the vibration. They balanced the tires and chased other rabbit holes with no success. Basically handed the truck back and said "that's normal, sorry". Its unfortunate because honestly it gives me a very negative feeling on taking this truck in if anything else comes up. I paid attention to the instructions and did a better job. Its shameful to be honest.

Take it in and ask for the TSB. Make sure to go over the instructions WITH THE TECH. not the service advisor. They are freaking clueless. Be persistent and goodluck!
I have not taken in for 5h2 TSB. I did have the dealer install the Ford Fox 2" suspension though.
This thing is wierd. It doesnt happen all the time. I think I notice it more when it's cold out!

rangerdanger19

First Name
Addison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport SuperCab (301a), 2017 Ford Fusion Sport (401a + Driver's Assist), 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, 1988 Merkur Scorpio
Occupation
Account Manager
Jumping in here. I've got a '19 XLT SuperCab 2WD, and within just a couple thousand miles of buying the truck, I noticed a vibration between 75-85mph. I just replaced the tires, balanced the wheels, and got an alignment and it barely made a difference. Could this be related to driveshaft and pinion angle issues? It's not alarming, but it's definitely there, and 98% of my driving is on the highway so I notice it frequently.

I'll probably take it in soon, but before I do, I want to make sure I know what I'm telling the tech and advisor.

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
How about the plastic vibrations that abound in the cabin? I get some serious buzzing (plastic on plastic) sound from my drivers dash top, near the windshield corner when at specific RPM's and the phantom plastic vibration sound from the passenger door area that I cannot locate to save my life. Thought it was the seatbelt against the B-pillar but that ain't it. I think the interior is OK (it's a truck!) but the plastic buzzing sounds are not.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How about the plastic vibrations that abound in the cabin? I get some serious buzzing (plastic on plastic) sound from my drivers dash top, near the windshield corner when at specific RPM's and the phantom plastic vibration sound from the passenger door area that I cannot locate to save my life. Thought it was the seatbelt against the B-pillar but that ain't it. I think the interior is OK (it's a truck!) but the plastic buzzing sounds are not.
Hi Ty,

There is a TSB on the defroster duct..(AKA Duck). Known problem. Passenger door area no idea. Have the dealer use their bag of tricks to see if they can find it. You can home in on it using a mechanics stethoscope with the metal probe and diaphragm removed so you only use the tubing.
Makes a cheap but effective extremely directional microphone like search tool. Being the passenger door...have someone drive while you search... Might find it is not the door...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

SILK

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
Occupation
IT Director
the dash one is common. lots of threads in it.
some guys have wedged foam rod into the recess to eliminate the vibe.
some have stuffed steaks, bread, and other robust vegetables in there. not only does it help, smells good when the defrost is on high
What if I bought a second damper and shoved it in there? Think it would dampen the sound?
Sponsored