Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
HI Folks,

Here at our house we have tons of these purple prickly pear cactus. Each one started with a single paddle in the gound some 15 years ago. Summer time these cactus turn a bluish purple. Ours are quite unique as they bloom both Pink and Yellow. Not uncommon for folks to stop by and ask if they can have several paddles. We have so many that we say to help yourself....

Purple Prickly Pear.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
HI Folks,

Here at our house we have tons of these purple prickly pear cactus. Each one started with a single paddle in the gound some 15 years ago. Summer time these cactus turn a bluish purple. Ours are quite unique as they bloom both Pink and Yellow. Not uncommon for folks to stop by and ask if they can have several paddles. We have so many that we say to help yourself....

Purple Prickly Pear.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I have one of those in my front yard,it's about 1/4 that size. My friend gave me 1 pedal 2 years ago and it's grown a lot since then that I've added a few more around the house. This year was the first time I had yellow flowers on it but we had a rainy winter/spring so I'm sure that helped. My aloe plants are another that grow like weeds! I wish I could find more people to give the pups to because I hate throwing them away but they get so overgrown.

Mines already de-flowerred.

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have one of those in my front yard,it's about 1/4 that size. My friend gave me 1 pedal 2 years ago and it's grown a lot since then that I've added a few more around the house. This year was the first time I had yellow flowers on it but we had a rainy winter/spring so I'm sure that helped. My aloe plants are another that grow like weeds! I wish I could find more people to give the pups to because I hate throwing them away but they get so overgrown.

Mines already de-flowerred.
Hi Dave,

My purple prickly pear have about 1½" needles. That keeps the Javelina away from the pads. We have a herd of them that travels through our yard nightly...about 25 or 30 of them.

collared_peccary_1.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Hi Dave,

My purple prickly pear have about 1½" needles. That keeps the Javelina away from the pads. We have a herd of them that travels through our yard nightly...about 25 or 30 of them.

collared_peccary_1.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
They are good in the Smoker :)
We have big wild hogs ( feral) here and frequently die of lead poisoning...they go in the smoker too..
Regards

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
They are good in the Smoker :)
Hi Doc,

They say the way to prepare a Javelina is to soak it in a 55 gallon drum of brine for two weeks. Then wrap it up in a gunny sack and bury it in the backyard for another 2 weeks. Then dig up, throw the Javelina away and eat the gunny sack!;)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Hi Doc,

They say the way to prepare a Javelina is to soak it in a 55 gallon drum of brine for two weeks. Then wrap it up in a gunny sack and bury it in the backyard for another 2 weeks. Then dig up, throw the Javelina away and eat the gunny sack!;)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Yup, just like the Florida possum recipe..
Regards