First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
That proves it! Chevy makes defective engines with major design flaws, just like the 10R80 trans!
Reference: 10R80 Flaws

• Haha
Reactions: Doc

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
That proves it! Chevy makes defective engines with major design flaws, just like the 10R80 trans!
Reference: 10R80 Flaws
A couple of people have problems and now the 10r80 is defective?

OP
OP
Trigganometry

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
The gas in oil finally ran its course and is no longer relevant. Throwing a rod went just so far too. So…. Off to the tranny’s we go! Wait a sec, that didn’t sound right, did it…

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
The gas in oil finally ran its course and is no longer relevant. Throwing a rod went just so far too. So…. Off to the tranny’s we go! Wait a sec, that didn’t sound right, did it…
No, it didn't.
But you forgot the bed height defect as well.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
arcia purchased the black-over-red Corvette Z06 1LZ on December 23 from Covina Hills Chevrolet in Covina, California, according to his YouTube videos. The in-demand sports car carried a sticker price of $113,975, but documentation fees and dealer charges saw the final sales price reach $182,457.38.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a42362341/2023-corvette-z06-pops-engine-after-only-52-miles/
Hi Rick,

First I heard of flat plane V8 crankshaft engines was in 1968ish...Vibrations was so bad that the drivers of the F5000 race cars that had these motors complained they could not see straight. I believe the F150 Raptor at one time had a Ford Flat Plane crank. Terrible motor for vibration.

Best,
Phil

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
dude was probably racing that Corvette on College Ave and found out the hard way not to mess with a moded Ford Ranger , another one's gone and another bites the dust.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes but that aftermarket tranny site said it's completely fixable for some $10,000 + , however I think that would only cover the 5 major deficiencies, god only knows what it would cost to cover the minor ones.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
in 52miles? he most likely ran it hard before the motor broke in and well it broke instead

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rick,

First I heard of flat plane V8 crankshaft engines was in 1968ish...Vibrations was so bad that the drivers of the F5000 race cars that had these motors complained they could not see straight. I believe the F150 Raptor at one time had a Ford Flat Plane crank. Terrible motor for vibration.

Best,
Phil
I believe the GT 350 recently used a flat plane crank at one point.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
yes but that aftermarket tranny site said it's completely fixable for some $10,000 + , however I think that would only cover the 5 major deficiencies, god only knows what it would cost to cover the minor ones.
My ex son in law is a huge Ram Diesel fan. He's owned one the whole time I've known him. He blew up the trans in the one he had when he met my daughter an spent 10K having one built for it. He had an aggressive aftermarket tune but I don't know if it had any other mods to kill the trans. I know a guy who's son plowed with one an it killed the trans in no time.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
???? Trigggggg is there something you wanna tell us??

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I call BS. Anyone willing to pay ~$70,000 over MSRP has more money than brains and definitely did something to blow that engine. He said all the right "I'm keeping my warranty" words.

In all seriousness, this story hasn't really covered the important part: Is Chevy replacing the engine? I can't imagine there is a single thing that would prevent warranty coverage of that.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My ex son in law is a huge Ram Diesel fan. He's owned one the whole time I've known him. He blew up the trans in the one he had when he met my daughter an spent 10K having one built for it. He had an aggressive aftermarket tune but I don't know if it had any other mods to kill the trans. I know a guy who's son plowed with one an it killed the trans in no time.
Yeah I've nearly done a 180 on xwarranty(mostly owing to hvac box) so in getting a quote they ask if you plow, seeing some guys plow it's a lot of forward and back, pretty tough on a tranny, iirc some use the same clutch for 1st and reverse and some plowers don't come to a complete stop before going from d to r and vice versa. Don't know what tranny goes into a Ford powerstroke but with iirc it's 900 + lbs/ft torque so it best be rugged.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rick,

Best,
Phil
I had a Caprice interceptor that had the LT1 motor in it. We all kept having transmission problems and failures. I asked the mechanic to test drive it at high speed and see what I meant. He couldn't duplicate the problem ( his high speed was 65-70 mph) I said hop in let's go for a ride! Got onto the on ramp for I65, waited for a clear patch with no traffic, hit the lights and siren and promptly got up to 80 mph + and the car was shaking so bad that the mechanic was using curse words like it was a native language ? at 90 the car was shaking so bad it shook both my microphones out of their holders and my computer screen looked like a 70s TV with bad horizontal hold! So he tells me to maintain throttle and gently hold the brake, the vibrations immediately went away, it was the torque converter, Chevy used the Hi performance motor with a standard torque converter, they rebuilt my transmission and installed a torque converter out of a pickup truck (new parts) and the vibrations never came back, sane fix cured all of our fleet problems in that model year!

After that my car ran so smooth that i hit 146 and didn't realize it until.i looked down, they removed the governor!
Sponsored