Light Bar Wiring Help

Zeeiioo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Hey folks-

I recently installed a 22” light bar on the front of my Ranger and I wired it up to an ON-OFF-ON switch to run independently, completely off, and tie into the high beams. It works independently but I can’t get it to work with the brights. I’ve tapped into the high beams at the wiring harness. I’ll try to get some pics up but any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Hey folks-

I recently installed a 22” light bar on the front of my Ranger and I wired it up to an ON-OFF-ON switch to run independently, completely off, and tie into the high beams. It works independently but I can’t get it to work with the brights. I’ve tapped into the high beams at the wiring harness. I’ll try to get some pics up but any help is appreciated.
Are you hard wired to the high beam harness or is a relay trigger line wired to the high beam harness.

I have lights tied to my high beams, however the high beams sends power to a relay trigger line and the relay gets independent power for the aux lights.

These trucks are very particular about pulling juice from the OEM lines.

As a rule of thumb, regardless of light power, always run aux items through relays. You do not want back feeding to occur nor do you want the OEM wiring system to detect unusual power levels or you start getting stuff that doesn't work or does weird oddities.

These systems aren't like old cars, they have very sensitive data units tied into everything.

OP
OP
Zeeiioo

Zeeiioo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Are you hard wired to the high beam harness or is a relay trigger line wired to the high beam harness.
I have lights tied to my high beams, however the high beams sends power to a relay trigger line and the relay gets independent power for the aux lights.

These trucks are very particular about pulling juice from the OEM lines.

As a rule of thumb, regardless of light power, always run aux items through relays. You do not want back feeding to occur nor do you want the OEM wiring system to detect unusual power levels or you start getting stuff that doesn't work or does weird oddities.

These systems aren't like old cars, they have very sensitive data units tied into everything.
Hi and thanks- I do have a relay. I’m running the 12v, the switch, and what I thought was the high beam trigger into the relay via the switch. If that makes sense.
IMG_2790.jpeg

I tapped into the high beams here, the third pin.
IMG_2789.jpeg

Position I works fine(independent). Position II does not work. The black wire is tapped into the high beam.
IMG_2788.jpeg

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Hi and thanks- I do have a relay. I’m running the 12v, the switch, and what I thought was the high beam trigger into the relay via the switch. If that makes sense.
IMG_2790.jpeg

I tapped into the high beams here, the third pin.
IMG_2789.jpeg

Position I works fine(independent). Position II does not work. The black wire is tapped into the high beam.
IMG_2788.jpeg

Reverse the the sides see if same thing happens. Maybe a faulty switch where one position is not working correctly.

You can also test by removing the switch completely so the only way to turn them on is the high beams which would also indicate a switch problem.

Troubleshooting is all about isolating.

OP
OP
Zeeiioo

Zeeiioo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Reverse the the sides see if same thing happens. Maybe a faulty switch where one position is not working correctly.

You can also test by removing the switch completely so the only way to turn them on is the high beams which would also indicate a switch problem.

Troubleshooting is all about isolating.
I was on my second switch already so I assumed a wiring issue. I am a noob when it comes to wiring but I think I originally tapped the ground into the high beam? I spliced the blue wire into the brights and now we are all good. Thank you for the suggestions!
Sponsored