KB Rack, No Drill Clips

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Picked up a KB Voodoo 58” x 10” hi rack with the no drill clips for mounting. I see how the instructions state to mount the rack, using the no drill clip against the rim of the bed frame.

Is that small bit of frame edge enough for the rack to hold? Anyone have a similar rack/mounting set up?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up a KB Voodoo 58” x 10” hi rack with the no drill clips for mounting. I see how the instructions state to mount the rack, using the no drill clip against the rim of the bed frame.

Is that small bit of frame edge enough for the rack to hold? Anyone have a similar rack/mounting set up?
Hi Joel,

Are you talking about the pinch weld flange at the inside top of the box? It is actually quite strong. The manufacturer of the Rack should have tested this and specified a max loading.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
VoodooRanger

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Hi Joel,

Are you talking about the pinch weld flange at the inside top of the box? It is actually quite strong. The manufacturer of the Rack should have tested this and specified a max loading.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Good afternoon Phil, thanks for chiming in. Would the pinch be the area in the center of the bed box or the lip that curves down that is covered by the plastic ribbed side rail?

The manufacturer sends a picture showing how it is to be mounted, but that small amount of lip does not seem sturdy or enough to maintain the weight of the rack with/without a tent.

I have attached a diagram on how it was designed.

DFE17C8F-12AA-4298-B0B1-AF63F2FB1814.jpeg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good afternoon Phil, thanks for chiming in. Would the pinch be the area in the center of the bed box or the lip that curves down that is covered by the plastic ribbed side rail?

The manufacturer sends a picture showing how it is to be mounted, but that small amount of lip does not seem sturdy or enough to maintain the weight of the rack with/without a tent.

I have attached a diagram on how it was designed.

DFE17C8F-12AA-4298-B0B1-AF63F2FB1814.jpeg
Hi Joel,

Got it! The clamp shown does infact clamp on the vertical pinch weld flange which and the flat gray piece lays on top of the plastic Box rail protectors...When properly braced cross box (ie brace from left box rail to right box rail) it should be quite stout. the cross brace may look in section like this /---\ (dashes should be at the top but I can't figure out how to do this). The question would be how many clamps on each piece....Three or four would be good, JMO.

I have a similar attachment for my Bak Revolver MX4.

Best
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
VoodooRanger

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Thanks for the insight Phil.

I may have bit off more than I could chew. Since this rack is the 58” meant for a long bed, it appears the clamping barely comes in contact with the vertical pinch weld in the bed. I believe that by not grabbing the pinch weld, I would be limited to the grabbing the lip of the bed rail. Which isn’t as sturdy as grabbing hold of the pinch weld.

I’ve attached a photo on how it was installed on a Tundra.

D08EBEA8-8A46-4055-B65B-43C20BCBD297.jpeg

OP
OP
VoodooRanger

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Here’s the clamping area I will have since it’s the longer rack. As you can see it’s just behind where the pinch weld ends. So leaves me that small lip to clamp onto.

9E5057DC-D16A-4BFE-8AB8-4C774D364BAE.jpeg

EDB4BA0B-F326-42F9-AA0B-F08254AE90A2.jpeg

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Here’s the clamping area I will have since it’s the longer rack. As you can see it’s just behind where the pinch weld ends. So leaves me that small lip to clamp onto.

9E5057DC-D16A-4BFE-8AB8-4C774D364BAE.jpeg

EDB4BA0B-F326-42F9-AA0B-F08254AE90A2.jpeg
Yep, this is why I didn't go with a 58", just not enough real estate there.

OP
OP
VoodooRanger

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Yep, this is why I didn't go with a 58", just not enough real estate there.
I was skeptical about it at first until I saw a member on here with one. I’m waiting to hear back from him on how he came about mounting it. At this point there’s nothing I can do but attempt to mount it. I figured I could buy some steel or aluminum flat bar from a hardware store and use that as an additional backing to mount against. That way it could run between the area I will be bolting the rack too and the pinch weld in the bed rail.

OP
OP
VoodooRanger

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Same boat here The RCI rack I ordered (not here yet) is the 58" x 18" and I knew fitment would be tight. I'm prepared to go full bolt on though if needed.

I didn't like that nearly foot long gap on the standard 48" version.
My initial plan was the RCI, but I liked the look of the KB and height of 10”. Looking over everything my brother and I came to the conclusion that bolting it to the bed is our best bet. Plus I’ll feel better than using the no drill clips.
Sponsored