Just returned from France and Italy - ONLY saw Ranger pick ups there!!

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
No room in EU for big trucks but finally on the outskirts of Marseille France on the motorway I spotted a Ranger PU!! only 2 PU's in over 2 weeks of touring around the countries!!
Sponsored

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL STX Special Edition
Occupation
Letter Carrier
European crash standards are way more strict than that of the US. We have very archaic laws for crash safety and lighting. I have a friend in the Netherlands, who knew somebody that was a huge fan of the Ford Taurus and imported one. It required over 300 changes from lighting to HVAC system controls before it was considered legal.

Oh also that big thing of the fact that really all trucks sold in Europe, Ranger, Hilux, Alaskan, Sandero Oroch, Triton are Diesel only. None of the big three would want to invest large sums of money for what would most likely be dismal sales. Gas guzzlers where fuel is over double the cost in the US. Smaller trucks serve the Europeans well, keep in mind that pretty much Transit and Transit Connect are Diesel optioned only because of fuel efficiency. There's your reason why.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Last time I was overseas was forever ago (1994) an seems I remember seeing tons of 4 door Nissan small pick ups. Mostly in Thailand an the UAE. Mopeds seemed the most popular mode of transportation in Thailand. You'd see a whole family on one. Dad driving, mom on back an a kid or two stuck in the middle.

Tremot Trent

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tremor
Occupation
Driver
US because of Diesel Def/emissions bs, most anything diesel isn’t imported. Yet big everywhere else, dependable/more effective, often US manufacturers will offer actual Better/more efficient diesel models abroad. Especially from their overseas facilities

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Letter Carrier
Last time I was overseas was forever ago (1994) an seems I remember seeing tons of 4 door Nissan small pick ups. Mostly in Thailand an the UAE. Mopeds seemed the most popular mode of transportation in Thailand. You'd see a whole family on one. Dad driving, mom on back an a kid or two stuck in the middle.
The Navara which formerly what the Frontier was until Nissan pulled a Toyota with the Hilux and Tacoma. Branched the Frontier off with a ''Refresh'' while the rest of the world got an entirely new beefed up Navara that even I would say, ''Shut up and take my money'' for. Of course don't tell the Frontier boys that it's a refresh they get very very mad.

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Letter Carrier
Always want what you can't have I guess...coming from someone who imported an SR20DET in my youth!
My preference is for a first generation Mazda Demio, just that none of the importers have interest. It's not part of the JDM Fanboy Machine. I have a customer on my route has an R32 GT-R "Canadian Spec" as Canada required running lights on the rear fenders when imported despite the 15 year exemption. We talk the shop when I see him. He said I would have to do it myself and get a broker to handle the paperwork. I said I am considering it if I don't buy my RHD Metris when it's taken out of rotation.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
My preference is for a first generation Mazda Demio, just that none of the importers have interest. It's not part of the JDM Fanboy Machine. I have a customer on my route has an R32 GT-R "Canadian Spec" as Canada required running lights on the rear fenders when imported despite the 15 year exemption. We talk the shop when I see him. He said I would have to do it myself and get a broker to handle the paperwork. I said I am considering it if I don't buy my RHD Metris when it's taken out of rotation.
Looks like many north east states are taking back registrations on some JDM cars. The job field I was in in the navy had a lot of overseas shore duty an lots of guys would bring back cars not sold here. It was easier if it were built before like 1972. One guy I know has a Datsun Fairlady which is pretty much a 240z in right hand drive.. I'm sure there's lots of differences but to the casual glance that's what you notice. One guy brought a Rolls back talk about expensive to maintain. One friend of mine brought a Morris back an did proms and wedding with it. I don't know how long the "25 year old rule" has been around but looks like states are wanting to not let it apply to non US models that were imported.

MrBirdman330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Letter Carrier
Looks like many north east states are taking back registrations on some JDM cars. The job field I was in in the navy had a lot of overseas shore duty an lots of guys would bring back cars not sold here. It was easier if it were built before like 1972. One guy I know has a Datsun Fairlady which is pretty much a 240z in right hand drive.. I'm sure there's lots of differences but to the casual glance that's what you notice. One guy brought a Rolls back talk about expensive to maintain. One friend of mine brought a Morris back an did proms and wedding with it. I don't know how long the "25 year old rule" has been around but looks like states are wanting to not let it apply to non US models that were imported.
The registration ordeal is coming from the fact that states like mine, Iowa do not allow ''Kei Trucks/Vans'' to be registered for street use regardless of the 25 year exemption rule. This dates back to when the Kei Truck/Van craze hit in 2008 and importers were bringing them over by the boat load. Why pay $14K for a John Deere Gator when you can pay $6K for a Kei Truck, get an enclosed cab with heat and air conditioning. Going back to the registration situation, there has been issues with certain Northern States revoking registration of certain Vans which are not Kei Class but honestly could be mistaken as such because the Delica has a lesser rugged version that can be mistaken as a Kei Class Van, its also been applying to Kei Class cars as well which while they aren't meant to haul down the interstate they can do fine around town. Personally I'll just slap a full set of Japanese Plates on and not worry because Police around here, don't give three cares as long as you drive like you have a brain. Its why I have a Victoria Australia License Plate on my Ranger and don't get pulled over, I drive respectably.

Now there are organizations that continuously lobby to fight any and all Grey Market Imports, of LHD or RHD cars, again some people have way too much time on their hands. They've made some slight grounds but haven't gotten any further than having Congress 'semi acknowledge' their complaint about Grey Market Imports. So while they complain nobody is going to care as guess what you get taxed and that's revenue for the Government.

The 25 Year Rule came about in the 80's thanks to Mercedes Benz, they did it because at that time you just had to make certain minimal changes to cars coming over to be ''legal''. Well Mercedes Benz of North America was essentially selling about $10K over what Benz of Europe was selling. So customers would fly to Germany, buy their Benz ship it over to the States and just swap out the Odometer to a US Spec one and you have a legal Benz. This upset Mercedes of NA and they cried to the home office. This caused Mercedes going to Congress and lobbied a 25 year ban. Either pay stupid money to legalize IE, crash test, EPA Emissions for 21 years or younger, or you can just wait 25 years when parts are beyond scarce and descent examples don't exist.
Sponsored