First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 1989 Dodge Ram 1st Gen
Occupation
Engineer
Specs: 2019 Ranger FX4 with 3.5" FabTech Lift and 33" tires. 9k miles, lift kit from day one.
Recently at no to low speed (under 30) when turning the wheels in either direction i hear a intermittent quick creaking sound on the drivers side. I feel it on the floor too. The sound is not wheel position oriented, not always in the same steering wheel orientation. When the driver side wheel is unloaded, the sound isn't present. No slack in the ball joints, nothing rubbing on the rotor, tie rod ends have no play. I'm thinking CV joint any thoughts?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Specs: 2019 Ranger FX4 with 3.5" FabTech Lift and 33" tires. 9k miles, lift kit from day one.
Recently at no to low speed (under 30) when turning the wheels in either direction i hear a intermittent quick creaking sound on the drivers side. I feel it on the floor too. The sound is not wheel position oriented, not always in the same steering wheel orientation. When the driver side wheel is unloaded, the sound isn't present. No slack in the ball joints, nothing rubbing on the rotor, tie rod ends have no play. I'm thinking CV joint any thoughts?
Hi John,

Next time it does this...shift into neutral if you can and see if the noise goes away. I wonder if it is only when under forward loading from the engine...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
JB's Garage

JB's Garage

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 1989 Dodge Ram 1st Gen
Occupation
Engineer
Hi John,

Next time it does this...shift into neutral if you can and see if the noise goes away. I wonder if it is only when under forward loading from the engine...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
No change to sound when in neutral, sound still present.

LongBeachLariat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever resolve this?
I have a similar sound