Ford to Add 3,000 Jobs in Detroit including all-new Ranger?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Rob! Yep! That is the post... This one eye corrected, one looking through glasses is a PITA.... Hard to read and type...:(
I can imagine - I know I hate it when I get eye exams and they dilate my eyes - I can't see anything in focus for hours afterwards... I can only imagine how hard it is to have one eye that works and one that doesn't (or needs glasses). Gotta get the other eye corrected!
Sponsored

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have never seen it reported only speculated.
To me it would not happen. Why would Ford announce a new design when you are still in your first year. It would hurt sales because some people would hold out.
It would tick off some of the people who already bought.
Plus it makes no sense from a manufacturing stand point. It takes time to get the manufacturing down, pay off all the tooling and equipment.
After about a year or so you hit your stride in manufacturing and are getting close to the most profit.

i just do not see it being that soon

I also realise the Ranger has been around and while it looks allot like the other Rangers from around the world allot changed.

I do not see it being that soon but I could be wrong.
IIRC is was widely known / rumored / suggested / leaked etc this MY was only going to be a 2-3 year run in the States? If not I feel like Miss Cleo.

I think the main goal was to get back into the mid size US market and introduce the 2.3 eco + 10 speed as the powertrain for these platforms moving forward.

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
IIRC is was widely known / rumored / suggested / leaked etc this MY was only going to be a 2-3 year run in the States? If not I feel like Miss Cleo.

I think the main goal was to get back into the mid size US market and introduce the 2.3 eco + 10 speed as the powertrain for these platforms moving forward.
You are correct. It's going to be a new truck and I believe it will have a full electric option. I imagine it will have similar dimensions as the Rivian. Ford has invested 500 million with them and Amazon has provided another 700 million. Their truck will be out at the end of the year. From what I have read, Ford's investment entitles them to use the "skateboard platform" in their trucks. Kind of how various frame makers provide vehicle frames to different car manufactures.

rivian-r1t.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/24/18514031/ford-electric-pickup-truck-ev-startup-rivian-tech
Sponsored