Ford to Add 3,000 Jobs in Detroit including all-new Ranger?

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
https://www.manufacturing.net/automotive/news/21106896/ford-is-adding-3000-jobs-in-detroit

The Wayne plant investment will be used to build the new Ford Bronco SUV, as well as an all-new Ranger small pickup truck. Investment at the plant also result in a new center to modify and support autonomous and other vehicles.

I have seen this article several times now and the All new Ranger has me baffled.

It would be too soon of a all new redesigned Ranger, so I am guessing a all new trim.
This the plant also making the new Bronco.
Could this be the first leak of the Ranger Raptor and it is based on the Bronco platform?

Total speculation here.
Sponsored

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
https://www.manufacturing.net/automotive/news/21106896/ford-is-adding-3000-jobs-in-detroit

I have seen this article several times now and the All new Ranger has me baffled.

It would be too soon of a all new redesigned Ranger, so I am guessing a all new trim.
Could this be the first leak of the Ranger Raptor and it is based on the Bronco platform?

Total speculation here.
I was trying to find any sort of release direct from Ford, and came across this version of the story, which states: "The investment in the Wayne plant will be used to build the new Ford Bronco SUV, as well as a brand new small Ranger minivan." (emphasis mine)

Probably not quite the Raptor you were hoping for...

On a more serious note, I find it odd that they refer to it in your version of the article as a "small" pickup truck, given that Ford classifies the Ranger as mid-sized. Methinks that the reporter got a couple details mixed up, and we shouldn't read too much into the "all-new Ranger small pickup truck" statement.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase

Total speculation here.
Actually, this Ranger has been out since 2011. There was a Refresh in 2015, but not a new design. It's been widely reported that a totally NEW Ranger was going to be out in 2021 which is one of the reasons speculated as to why there was no Ranger Raptor coming anytime soon to the current NA version. It's expected that the New Ranger Raptor version will come in 2022 or 2023. Expect the New Ranger to be built on the New Bronco Platform, which is why they are both going to be assembled in the same Factory.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL

Total speculation here.
Found what I was really looking for: the version direct from the horse's mouth.

From Ford: "Ford will install new equipment to support production of the all-new Ford Bronco and Ford Ranger as well as create a new modification center at the Wayne location." Nothing about it being all-new, small, or suddenly a minivan.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I was trying to find any sort of release direct from Ford, and came across this version of the story, which states: "The investment in the Wayne plant will be used to build the new Ford Bronco SUV, as well as a brand new small Ranger minivan." (emphasis mine)

Probably not quite the Raptor you were hoping for...

On a more serious note, I find it odd that they refer to it in your version of the article as a "small" pickup truck, given that Ford classifies the Ranger as mid-sized. Methinks that the reporter got a couple details mixed up, and we shouldn't read too much into the "all-new Ranger small pickup truck" statement.

What?. I have seen a few different ones that state the same as the article I quoted.

Minivan I do not know. Is that like the new Ford mustang mach-e cross over.

Ford should not use this branded names for other vehicles.

I just do not see a minivan.. Got to be a mistake.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

From Ford: "Ford will install new equipment to support production of the all-new Ford Bronco and Ford Ranger as well as create a new modification center at the Wayne location." Nothing about it being all-new, small, or suddenly a minivan.

So it could just be additional manufacturing.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Actually, this Ranger has been out since 2011. There was a Refresh in 2015, but not a new design. It's been widely reported that a totally NEW Ranger was going to be out in 2021 which is one of the reasons speculated as to why there was no Ranger Raptor coming anytime soon to the current NA version. It's expected that the New Ranger Raptor version will come in 2022 or 2023. Expect the New Ranger to be built on the New Bronco Platform, which is why they are both going to be assembled in the same Factory.

I have never seen it reported only speculated.
To me it would not happen. Why would Ford announce a new design when you are still in your first year. It would hurt sales because some people would hold out.
It would tick off some of the people who already bought.
Plus it makes no sense from a manufacturing stand point. It takes time to get the manufacturing down, pay off all the tooling and equipment.
After about a year or so you hit your stride in manufacturing and are getting close to the most profit.

i just do not see it being that soon

I also realise the Ranger has been around and while it looks allot like the other Rangers from around the world allot changed.

I do not see it being that soon but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have never seen it reported only speculated.
To me it would not happen. Why word Ford announce a new design when you are still in your first year. It would hurt sales because some people would hold out.
It would tick off some of the people who already bought.
Plus it makes no sense from a manufacturing stand point. It takes time to get the manufacturing down, pay off all the tooling and equipment.
After about a year or so you hit your stride in manufacturing and are getting close to the most profit.

i just do not see it being that soon

I also realise the Ranger has been around and while it looks allot like the other Rangers from around the world allot changed.

I do not see it being that soon but I could be wrong.
Well, I’ll just wait and be sure to say “I told you so” when it’s announced!

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

In English, it says the all-new Bronco and Ranger. It doesn’t say new Bronco and current Ranger.

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
It was widely reported from the beginning of the launch by Ford insiders that the current Ranger is a placeholder for an all new Ranger (2022 model) and Bronco (2021 model). The Bronco will be released first followed by the Ranger. IMO, The purpose of this Ranger was to create a placeholder in the market and to work out kinks with the 2.3 Eco/10 speed transmission and the active safety equipment. I believe this is why Ford did not do a lot of redesign to the interior and just went with the Global Ranger design.

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
In English, it says the all-new Bronco and Ranger. It doesn’t say new Bronco and current Ranger.
It doesn't say new Bronco and new Ranger either.

It is all speculation until Ford announces something anyway..

But I am guessing it may be the Raptor for the first year on the Bronco platform and the following year they roll over the bronco to the rest of the line.

Also the deal with the Union was just announced and I doubt production would not start till late next year which could put it to the 2022 model year.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

It is all speculation until Ford announces something anyway..

But I am guessing it may be the Raptor for the first year on the Bronco platform and the following year they roll over the bronco to the rest of the line.

Also the deal with the Union was just announced and I doubt production would not start till late next year which could put it to the 2022 model year.
Hi Shred5,

Read my post on General Ranger...It is fact....

Having cataract surgery a day and half ago, I am strugggling with one good eye (new toric lens eye) and my left cloudy lens eye, Seeing and typing is a challenge, so I ask the moderators to insert the thread here if they can...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

It is all speculation until Ford announces something anyway...
WTF?

From Ford: "Ford will install new equipment to support production of the all-new Ford Bronco and Ford Ranger as well as create a new modification center at the Wayne location."

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads