Ford Tie Down Hook -Talk about price gouging....

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
looks like a tail gate down 90 mph rip down the freeway to clean out the bed... redneck vacuum cleaner.
Doesn't work. I tried it last year after I took the Christmas tree to the Topeka Zoo. They give the tress to the animals for some reason. I kept the tailgate down and the tonneau cover off back and forth to work for a few days and I still had to vacuum out the bed, lol.
Sponsored

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Doesn't work. I tried it last year after I took the Christmas tree to the Topeka Zoo. They give the tress to the animals for some reason. I kept the tailgate down and the tonneau cover off back and forth to work for a few days and I still had to vacuum out the bed, lol.
Yeah, the wind blows back into the bed at speed. I was just kidding with my answer. I think Myth Busters did a show on the effects of the wind at the rear of a pickup.

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Yeah, the wind blows back into the bed at speed. I was just kidding with my answer. I think Myth Busters did a show on the effects of the wind at the rear of a pickup.
Well, I wasn't quite honest with my reply anyway. I didn't vacuum out the bed of my truck. I made my son do it, hehe.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
when i was 17 me and a buddy were zipping down the interstate in my first truck. one with the rear sliding window and the vent bat wing windows on the doors. ac didnt work so we had all the windows open. in the back of the truck was our fishing stuff and an old bath towel we used to clean our hands after handling / gutting catfish. everything was normal until the catfish slime towel was sucked into the rear window and covered my face... i shouted something like oh s%$t, let off the gas and yanked the towel away. then i noticed my buddy was dry heaving looking kinda green. i pull off on the shoulder he gets out just in time to barf up breakfast in front of a passing church van full of kids :LOL:🤣. i got the "dry" side of the towel in my face. my buddy got the slime and guts end of the towel and had his mouth open at the moment of impact. so things in the bed do get sucked forward at speed sometimes.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
when i was 17 me and a buddy were zipping down the interstate in my first truck. one with the rear sliding window and the vent bat wing windows on the doors. ac didnt work so we had all the windows open. in the back of the truck was our fishing stuff and an old bath towel we used to clean our hands after handling / gutting catfish. everything was normal until the catfish slime towel was sucked into the rear window and covered my face... i shouted something like oh s%$t, let off the gas and yanked the towel away. then i noticed my buddy was dry heaving looking kinda green. i pull off on the shoulder he gets out just in time to barf up breakfast in front of a passing church van full of kids :LOL:🤣. i got the "dry" side of the towel in my face. my buddy got the slime and guts end of the towel and had his mouth open at the moment of impact. so things in the bed do get sucked forward at speed sometimes.
Great story Mark...

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
has someone claimed these yet? If not, I will take them
Yes someone has, pending I can find them in my garage which is a mess at the moment. I will get with you if for some reason something falls through.

Jwells

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
I ended up getting fed up with the stock tie downs, both in quantity and the function. I found it very easy for tie downs to fall out of the hooks when walking around the truck strapping down loads.
Here’s what I came up with

parts are milled from steel and electrodeless nickel coated
IMG_5063.png
IMG_5358.png
IMG_5034.png

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I ended up getting fed up with the stock tie downs, both in quantity and the function. I found it very easy for tie downs to fall out of the hooks when walking around the truck strapping down loads.
Here’s what I came up with

parts are milled from steel and electrodeless nickel coated
IMG_5063.png
IMG_5358.png
IMG_5034.png
nice! you should sell them

Jwells

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
nice! you should sell them
I have thought about it but I think these, at least how they are currently made and coated would be pretty pricey. When I made them I machined 18 tie downs for three trucks and sent them out for coating. total material + coating cost was around $350 for all, not including cutters and machine time. So it would be hard to make them for less than a couple hundred per set. If there is larger interest I would consider taking a closer look or redesigning them to be easier to manufacture.