First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Can you go back to stock if you want? Permanent scares me.

Would also love to hear what happens to your gas milage once you've had it for a bit.
Yes you can, I went back to stock when gas prices topped $4.00/gal.
Sponsored

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4
So I'm very curious about this tune....no interest debating it's value...heck I'm interested in it myself! But my question is this.

On Ford Performance parts website the tune states an increase of 45hp and 60ft lbs torque...coupled with reported better shift patterns etc etc. The graph(dyno) they show shows the base power @ (87)octane and the improved tune power levels @ (93)octane.

On the Ford Authority website they had an article regarding the 2021 Ford Bronco where it was written up that it was found that stock with no tune...power levels with the 2.3 where on par with the Ranger at 270/275 HP and 310 ft lbs torque...but when fed 93 octane those levels registered in @ 300hp / 325 ft lbs of torque.

So I have to assume the Ranger would be/act the same way if also fed 93 octane.

I also believe 5 star tuning did an actual dyno write up with a stock ranger using 93 octane and it had pulls up to 330hp / 345/350 ft. lbs of torque as a baseline prior to their tune.

So I guess my question as related to the FPP tune would be...the performance increase of going to the tune asides from the improved shift patterns ...is the power level 45hp/60ft lbs over stock @ 87 octane...or if already using 93 octane and having increased performance as result of that, would the tune jump that power level even more to say 345 HP and 370 ft lbs of torque??

I really can't find any information on the tune's performance increase over already what may just using 93 to begin with.

DenyBlueXL

First Name
Deny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger
Occupation
None
My Ranger got a early Christmas present…. Not sure why Ford doesn’t make them this way from the factory, shifts better and responds to the go pedal is much improved. If your on the fence, this is money we’ll spent.

IMG_4578.jpg
I want one! Still not C.A.R.B. approved for Comifonia 2022 Rangers. Latest from Ford “Working on it”

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Ford actually advertises on their web page for the Bronco that the 2.3 makes 275 HP on 87 octane and 315 HP on 93 octane. Not sure why they don't do the same with the Ranger.

The 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang is advertised as having 310 HP on 93 octane but only says you can use 87 octane with no advertised power on 87. The FP tune for the 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang adds about 25 HP at the power peak. The real advantage of the FP tune on the Mustang is above the 5500 rpm power peak where you get as much as 100 HP more at 6000 rpm. Comparing the butt dyno increase in power between my 17 Ecoboost Mustang and my Ranger adding the FP tune to the Mustang made the engine feel stronger than it did in the Ranger. If I was a betting man I would say that the 45 HP increase that FP advertises is compared to the engine on 87 and then on 93 with the tune.

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4
Ford actually advertises on their web page for the Bronco that the 2.3 makes 275 HP on 87 octane and 315 HP on 93 octane. Not sure why they don't do the same with the Ranger.

The 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang is advertised as having 310 HP on 93 octane but only says you can use 87 octane with no advertised power on 87. The FP tune for the 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang adds about 25 HP at the power peak. The real advantage of the FP tune on the Mustang is above the 5500 rpm power peak where you get as much as 100 HP more at 6000 rpm. Comparing the butt dyno increase in power between my 17 Ecoboost Mustang and my Ranger adding the FP tune to the Mustang made the engine feel stronger than it did in the Ranger. If I was a betting man I would say that the 45 HP increase that FP advertises is compared to the engine on 87 and then on 93 with the tune.

I was thinking the exact same....I'm trying not to say the tune could be a waste...it's just are the gains over normal use octane 93 worth the investment...I have searched high and low for real #'s on here that can fully enlighten me but no such luck as of right now.

On a side note I've only used 87 octane top tier Shell fuel in Ranger....but today I emptied the tank almost completely and refilled with Esso/Exxon synergy supreme+ 93....the extra cost of fuel is high but having a credit card with a generous cash back on fuel purchases plus a separate loyalty point card for Esso/Exxon purchases doesn't quite wash the price difference between 87 and 93 but at least I get a little extra for the extra cost.

Performance wise was almost literally instantaneous....engine went buttery smooth (not buzzy and labored) cruise control on going up inclines the engine barely needed to work with minimal upshifts I assume to a bit more power now....too early yet to talk about mileage increase ...I suspect there will be a bit...but my driving habits are like an old man easing into a warm bath...slow and steady.....so any increase in mileage is good...but probably negligible

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
My Ranger got a early Christmas present…. Not sure why Ford doesn’t make them this way from the factory, shifts better and responds to the go pedal is much improved. If your on the fence, this is money we’ll spent.

IMG_4578.jpg
i got the ford per pack a while back and fully agree it was worth every cent. really woke up the truck.

John Jenkins

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Larait 4x4 Super Cab
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_4578.jpg
I’m curious did you do the install or have a dealer do it?

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
So I'm very curious about this tune....no interest debating it's value...heck I'm interested in it myself! But my question is this.

On Ford Performance parts website the tune states an increase of 45hp and 60ft lbs torque...coupled with reported better shift patterns etc etc. The graph(dyno) they show shows the base power @ (87)octane and the improved tune power levels @ (93)octane.

On the Ford Authority website they had an article regarding the 2021 Ford Bronco where it was written up that it was found that stock with no tune...power levels with the 2.3 where on par with the Ranger at 270/275 HP and 310 ft lbs torque...but when fed 93 octane those levels registered in @ 300hp / 325 ft lbs of torque.

I also believe 5 star tuning did an actual dyno write up with a stock ranger using 93 octane and it had pulls up to 330hp / 345/350 ft. lbs of torque as a baseline prior to their tune.

So I guess my question as related to the FPP tune would be...the performance increase of going to the tune asides from the improved shift patterns ...is the power level 45hp/60ft lbs over stock @ 87 octane...or if already using 93 octane and having increased performance as result of that, would the tune jump that power level even more to say 345 HP and 370 ft lbs of torque??

I really can't find any information on the tune's performance increase over already what may just using 93 to begin with.
I live 30ish miles from town, and my MPG has always been around 21.x MPG. Tonight I did the round trip and my MPG is 24 MPG. Honestly the truck is different, the transmission feels so much better. Almost like the torque converter to locked up fully, you step on the go pedal and it goes. It's not OMG fast, but your butt dyno can feel the difference. My Ranger is a 2nd vehicle for me, so I don't drive it everyday, I have a better mileage and faster vehicle for that. But the change in the feel of it is much improved and well worth the money.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

IMG_4578.jpg
It is money well spent that I spent a long time ago, and I am still loving this tune!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

For sure, the only meaningful test would be to use the same octane before and after. Otherwise, who can say if it is the tune or the octane? Still, I put the tune in and shifted to higher octane simultaneously. The truck runs great, with more power, better torque, and smoother shifting. I can feel the results and do not care much about the numbers...