First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I’ve not followed the saga, as that thread is like thousands of shitposts, but didn’t they cover the damage under warranty? Weren’t those trucks pretty modified in terms of other bolt ons?
One truck was heavily modified, with mods signed off by 5 star and supposedly accounted for in the tune.

That truck had the "tune insurance" that Stage 3 offers for 5 star tunes. And last I heard the tune insurance paid for repairs.

Another user here simply sold his truck to a friend who apparently replaced the long block himself.

5 star doesn't respond to people who have their tunes, and they don't respond on the forum either. Matter of fact, let's try again.

@5startuning how many Ranger's running your tune have had catastrauphic engine failures?

If I were looking for a canned tune or anything related to tuning 5 star would be the last place I'd go.
I know this has been asked a million times, but there's different answers depending on who you ask here.. so let me bring this up for the 1,000,001st time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My understanding is the Ford Performance Tune does not effect the factory warranty (first page bold letters), and the 3/36 stated here > https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/fpp-warranty.pdf only applies to the device itself (mm so helpful)? Great, so why are there still concerns being brought up for those of us with new / new-ish trucks and installing the FPT?

I've only ever filled with 91, and will continue to do so. It's the highest octane they sell at my elevation, so that's no problem...But what about towing? Someone mentioned that you have to go to a Livernois or other aftermarket tune with different maps to accommodate those of us that use our Rangers for lots of towing... Can I not flash the standard FPT map and simply enable tow mode when hooked up? I believe another thread addressed this concern was resolved... anything I'm missing here?
The tune itself is what is warrantied for 36k miles from 0. It does not effect your factory warranty.

Install the FP tune at 16000 miles and you have 20k miles of coverage against problems caused by the tune.
Sponsored

John Jenkins

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Larait 4x4 Super Cab
Vehicle Showcase
If you are under warranty you may want to have them do it for peace of mind. It's purely a money grab and it's easy to do. The hardess part was installing the K&N air cleaner (and that wasn't hard).

However this would fall under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 which protects consumers on warranties.

According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)).

So sure if you run 87 octane after installing this tune, and blow up your motor, however the burden of proof would be on them.

My buddy had installed this himself after 2 failed dealer trips, and told me how great it made his truck feel. That was no joke.
I already have the K&N in the truck, I do however have an extended warranty on the truck. I do have a connection at my local ford dealership in service department.
I would call another dealer. Mine said they would install for $134
I talked to mine today $845 installed

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Someone mentioned that you have to go to a Livernois or other aftermarket tune with different maps to accommodate those of us that use our Rangers for lots of towing... Can I not flash the standard FPT map and simply enable tow mode when hooked up? I believe another thread addressed this concern was resolved... anything I'm missing here?
If you read the description of the FP tune on FPs web page it states it is optimized for towing.

I believe the initial release of the tune it stated not recommended for towing but the tune was revised quite some time ago for towing.

OP
OP
daczone

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Day 4 or 5 and I love the way it has changed my truck. Pulled my trailed to the dump yesterday, averaged 19 mpg. I like it so much I ordered exhaust, Nothing Crazy... just a 3" single pipe MDBP. My truck barely has 11k on it. I see myself driving it more now.

Gumbo

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
sales
I already have the K&N in the truck, I do however have an extended warranty on the truck. I do have a connection at my local ford dealership in service department.

I talked to mine today $845 installed
Yeah, the $134 was for just installation. So, $665 from Stage3 plus. Seems fair for what you get
Sponsored