First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
While looking around in Forscan I noticed an option in BCM to enable the rear fog light option. Having had two GTI's both upgraded with EU-Spec headlight switches and wired with the additional fog light bulb got me wondering. How hard would it be to do the same on the Ranger and what specific bulb would be used? Would it go to the driver's rear tail light like most EU-Spec rear fog lights or would it be wired to light up the third mount light over the cab?

I found an EU - Spec headlight switch part number CB5Z11654BA and it retails for $65-80 depending on where you buy it.

Then I found this thread on the mustang forums about enabling and wiring it on a 2017 Mustang.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mustang-2017-us-to-eu-spec-rear-fog-light.117176/

several steps are involved in your project:

you need to get wiring terminals for connectros c205, c2280B and c2280C.

for c205: https://www.te.com/deu-de/product-2098762-3.html?source=header-match

for c2280C: https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMs7eK6h2EBtKrDPZUGUvv8Sk5Ng7Z0BJqM=

not sure which one it was for the c2280B connector….

1. you need to run a new wire from the light switch connector (C205) pin #2 to the BCM connector (C2280B) pin #8

this wire let's the BCM know when you want to switch on your rear fog light

2. you need to run a new wire from BCM connector (C2280C) pin #25 to your fog light

this wire gets 12V from the BCM and powers your rear fog light.

3. you need to change your BCM's Asbuilt data on the following lines:

726-28-01 xxxx x*xx xxxx Rear Fog Enable Cfg: 0=disabled --> 1=enabled
726-24-01 xxxx xxxx *xxx --> 4=IL norm, WL inhib, BL norm, RFL norm

Those two lines activate the needed circuits inside the BCM.

4. and lastly you have do change the following on the IPC:

720-02-02 xxx* xx Rear Fog Indicator Cfg: 0=disabled --> 2=enabled

this line will make sure that the small amber indicator on the dash turns on when you switch on the rear fog light.

Looking as the instructions it doesn't look to be all too difficult. I was just wondering anyone done this yet?
Sponsored

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
Interesting...

Dangerpete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Army Safety
Interesting...
Having lived for some time in Germany I can see the value of having a Euro Spec Rear Fog Light. As our Rangers don't have the same style taillight buckets, has anyone found a optional "RED" rear fog light that we can add similar to a back up light? That would be a simple add on, other than the same issue with running the wiring.

mapco

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
In for answer. The US spec Ranger has a indicator light in the dash for the rear fog light. It's right next to the front fog light indicator. Would love to see that light up.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
can some explain the purpose and benefits of such a light?
how is it used?
Typically a red light as bright as a brake light on the drivers side rear. Used in really poor weather when visibility is low to reduce the chance of getting rear ended.

26555-CD41A-3.jpg

Last edited:

mapco

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
They're completely legal in the US but for some reason manufacturers like to remove them here. For example, my Focus RS was built in Germany and rear fog lights are legally required over there so the German spec ones had it. Even though my Focus RS was built on the same assembly lines as theirs, they removed it for US spec ones. The only vehicle that I've owned that had a rear fog light was my 95 Saab 9000. Very handy in inclement weather.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
They're completely legal in the US but for some reason manufacturers like to remove them here. For example, my Focus RS was built in Germany and rear fog lights are legally required over there so the German spec ones had it. Even though my Focus RS was built on the same assembly lines as theirs, they removed it for US spec ones. The only vehicle that I've owned that had a rear fog light was my 95 Saab 9000. Very handy in inclement weather.
They remain as standard equipment on Mercedes for the U.S. market. Another feature I appreciate that German automakers provide is the auto adjustment of the right side mirror when reversing. Both features that I believe should at least be options on vehicles sold here in the U.S.

RicAna

First Name
riccardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford Ranger xlt 3.2 2014
While looking around in Forscan I noticed an option in BCM to enable the rear fog light option. Having had two GTI's both upgraded with EU-Spec headlight switches and wired with the additional fog light bulb got me wondering. How hard would it be to do the same on the Ranger and what specific bulb would be used? Would it go to the driver's rear tail light like most EU-Spec rear fog lights or would it be wired to light up the third mount light over the cab?

I found an EU - Spec headlight switch part number CB5Z11654BA and it retails for $65-80 depending on where you buy it.

Then I found this thread on the mustang forums about enabling and wiring it on a 2017 Mustang.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mustang-2017-us-to-eu-spec-rear-fog-light.117176/

Looking as the instructions it doesn't look to be all too difficult. I was just wondering anyone done this yet?

HI @Porpoise Hork ,

Did you manage to install rear fog light?
I have a ford ranger 2014 purchased in UAE with GCC specification (basically have reverse light on on both rear lights)
I am looking to install a rear fog light and wish to do a good job purchasing the EU spec part first and the Indicator levers light switch second or install a supplement switch for rear fog light.

Here in Dubai I have difficult to find someone trust who can understand the job and insure me to make the job done and wish to bring with me in Europe (Italy) my Ford Ranger than I must install the rear fog for later register the car legally.

From Ford ME (Middle East) they are telling me I can't install a rear light not matching my chassis number :curse: but I do not see difficulty to find the model of light matching the year

this one for example
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-Rear-Light-in-Red-Chrome-for-Ford-Ranger-2012-EU-Spec-/383633701440

and the command light dedicate
https://bego.bildelsbasen.se/en-se/...s-&-Light-switch/All/ID-33786957/OEM-1728354/

What do you think? I am right or this parts will not fit?
Please suggest me since you did twice with yours GTI

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
From what I have been able to find, the NA spec tail lights are significantly different than the EU/AU lights. So for us it's looking like it will be far more complicated to get this to work. The NA lights have the BLISS sensors (if equipped) and are LED and I do not know if it's even wired up for this. I have not had the chance to get a good look at the EU/AU light switch plug to compare it to the NA switch to see if they use the same plug, or pin-out map. From what I have seen so far there appears to be several variants with different pin counts and will need to pull mine out and compare them. The NA Ranger switch is the same as the base model Focus switch NA switch. The EU switch has extra functions on it that would enable the rear fog light etc. if the truck is already wired for it to work and just needs the switch and active module.

The EU/AU lights do look like they have separate bulbs for each function and may have one that can double as the fog light when activated like the MK V GTI tail light, and as parking/brake when not active. The MK IV's had a dedicated bulb socket for the fog light.

On my old GTI's all that was needed was the EU headlight light switch that had the rear fog light function, and install the wiring kit. For the MK IV's it was as simple as swapping the headlight switch out, and install the wiring kit/bulb which consisted of running a wire from the switch to the driver's side tail light and installing a bulb. Then to turn it on you just pulled the knob of the light switch out. The MK V's were basically the same except you also had to to enable it with Vag-Com (similar to Forscan) so the function on the switch would work when activated.
Sponsored