First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Fining folks that do this isn't working. Confiscating their rigs and some public shaming might work.

You know all the festivals that are held in the various cities? Set up some medieval stocks and lock the folks in them for a day of public humiliation..... maybe even have some rotten vegetables so kids can throw it at them.

1621782820520.png
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
By obstacles assume you mean the objects the forest service puts to keep people from going onto closed area . Some people see this as simply a challenge to find a way thru, over or around, I was originally amazed at how extensive some of these obstacles have become, yet the increased number of GOAT type vehicles means more people proving their mettle and defeating. definately a growing trend in CO - more and more areas facing closure or permit to access.
Not a problem until Colorado became a suburb of Los Angeles...
1621783313492.png

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
By obstacles assume you mean the objects the forest service puts to keep people from going onto closed area . Some people see this as simply a challenge to find a way thru, over or around, I was originally amazed at how extensive some of these obstacles have become, yet the increased number of GOAT type vehicles means more people proving their mettle and defeating. definately a growing trend in CO - more and more areas facing closure or permit to access.
I was actually talking about natural obstacles in trails like mud puddles, large rocks, fallen tree limbs, etc... Seems like almost always, if the area is not on a narrow shelf, someone has found a way around through the grass or whatever and made new tracks, and as soon as there is one set of new tracks, everyone else will follow.

I passed a group of dirt bike riders the other day just weaving off the trail and around trees and rocks and whatever they could find just for fun.

I haven't actually seen too many people trying to get through closed trail signs/gates/whatever you call them.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Most of my trail concern has to do with 2 wheels. Need a place to ride dirt bikes. And yeah the number of places is dwindling. And part of the reason is dirt bikes are a bit more on the anti-social side of the scale with their loud BRAAAAAAP that can be heard far away.

I've got my eyes on a stealth solution. It's basically only slightly louder than a mountain bike and is partially made up of mountain bike components. This is a Sur Ron X electric dirt bike.
surronxwave3-2.jpg

It's an electric solution that's halfway between mountain bike and dirt bike. Utterly silent. 50 mph top speed, enough torque to climb hills and enough suspension to catch air. This can be in and out without anyone even knowing it was there and it's very low impact on the trails.

The only problem with this, not street legal in most places unless you keep in in ECO mode which has a top speed of about 20 - but it will go for an entire day then. Other issue - Can't ride on mountain bike trails without mountain bikers having a conniption fit. They will be like "get that F@#$ing thing off our trails!" Well we all know the real problem is they are busting their asses while we just fly past them going 40 mph with zero effort.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Most of my trail concern has to do with 2 wheels. Need a place to ride dirt bikes. And yeah the number of places is dwindling. And part of the reason is dirt bikes are a bit more on the anti-social side of the scale with their loud BRAAAAAAP that can be heard far away.

I've got my eyes on a stealth solution. It's basically only slightly louder than a mountain bike and is partially made up of mountain bike components. This is a Sur Ron X electric dirt bike.
surronxwave3-2.jpg

It's an electric solution that's halfway between mountain bike and dirt bike. Utterly silent. 50 mph top speed, enough torque to climb hills and enough suspension to catch air. This can be in and out without anyone even knowing it was there and it's very low impact on the trails.

The only problem with this, not street legal in most places unless you keep in in ECO mode which has a top speed of about 20 - but it will go for an entire day then. Other issue - Can't ride on mountain bike trails without mountain bikers having a conniption fit. They will be like "get that F@#$ing thing off our trails!" Well we all know the real problem is they are busting their asses while we just fly past them going 40 mph with zero effort.
And . . . fortunately already illegal on many trails.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
And . . . fortunately already illegal on many trails.
"Fortunately" illegal? I'm going through this thread and getting the feeling you're one of the people trying to get off road options shut down for everyone. Not appreciated. Please Explain.

I understand your concern but please don't assume all fans of off roading are prone to littering and leaving piles of garbage.

I believe the electric option I posted, at least for the 2 wheel crowd, is an environmentally low impact option that should be promoted, not pushed to be illegal.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
"Fortunately" illegal? I'm going through this thread and getting the feeling you're one of the people trying to get off road options shut down for everyone. Not appreciated. Please Explain.

I understand your concern but please don't assume all fans of off roading are prone to littering and leaving piles of garbage.

I believe the electric option I posted, at least for the 2 wheel crowd, is an environmentally low impact option that should be promoted, not pushed to be illegal.
Most mountain bikers are intelligent on hiking trails. They notify you when they approach and don't just blow by at a 20 mph delta. I respect them and give them room. It's the other 25% who think hiking trails are their own race track. Now you have these electric bicycles for the lazy fucks who aren't in good enough shape to hump a hill. They still bomb the downhill. Go to an OHV park if you want to ride a motorcycle.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Most mountain bikers are intelligent on hiking trails. They notify you when they approach and don't just blow by at a 20 mph delta. I respect them and give them room. It's the other 25% who think hiking trails are their own race track. Now you have these electric bicycles for the lazy fucks who aren't in good enough shape to hump a hill. They still bomb the downhill. Go to an OHV park if you want to ride a motorcycle.
Ok let's be clear here, the option I posted is a dirt bike, and I don't intend to ride mountain bike trails with it. And I can see the MTB riders already getting uptight that an "electric mountain bike" even exists.

It's just funny because this particular bike has videos all over youtube about people trying to ride them on mountain bike trails and the locals getting pissed about it. Even if passing at an extremely low speed... even if not riding at all, just parked in the parking area. They will get some uptight MTB rider going "HEY you can't ride that around here!" It's the same attitude, electric bikes are for lazy people.

Well, not really, they are also for people who are normally fans of dirt bikes but want to have a lower impact on the environment. I want you to know who you are talking to: I'm also a mountain bike rider, and racer, completed probably about 30 different races. Some of my favorite longer ones in Wisconsin are the "Ore to Shore" and "Chequamegon Fat Tire 40" which is mostly hills and for good measure ends at the top of the Telemark ski hill. So... don't group me in with the lazy fucks you mention. My last GPS recording:
FT40.jpg

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Nobody offroad mountain bikes to commune with nature, they do it for sport.
Almost nobody offroads 4X4 trucks for transportation ( in rare cases some do)but mostly they do it for sport.

I am an avid bicyclist, I much prefer pavement or occasional trail riding on pavement or limestone screenings (for sport).... My bikes are used for fitness, recreation and transportation (in that order).

I don't offroad but I support responsible offroad sport and recreation....
There are far too many condescending Buzzkill types who claim the right to condemn any activity (including road biking) in which they have no interest. If given reign, they will likely outlaw all joy in the world except that which is derived from spoiling the joy of others.
Even fervent advocacy is laudable, but all sides should consider the desires of others and hold out a little understanding for reasonable compromise.

I caution against unnecessarily restricting the freedoms of others .... bear in mind that you will eventually reap what you sow.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi folks,

I try to avoid getting involved with certain topics. Let me say this...I support recreation of all kinds with in reason. My wife and I hike in the desert and we encounter Mountain Bikes using the trails. I am cool with this when they alert us and not cool at all when the try to blow by without warning. Trails in our area are full of jumping Cholla...a nasty cactus and we had experience with an Ahole on a mountain bike that tried to blow by us without waring that was surprised by our stopping and swerved into one of these cactus... The spines broke off and he was covered from head to toe in spines... He was a hurtin' puppy....He yelled at us that it was our fault for being on a hiking trail.... We could have helped him to a degree, but screw him....his problem...

cholla.jpg

So...It is no secrete we have a Sonoran Tortoise for our pet. I teach a class at a Life Long Learning program as part of the University of Arizona. I conclude by talking about the decline of this species due to desert recreation and urban development. I indicate to the desert recreation folks to stay on existing back road trails and not bound across the desert where many tortoise are crushed or injured by this practice of cross desert....4x4s, UTV, ATV, Dirt Bikes and Mountain bikes.

Recreate prudently,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.

OP
OP
TN Ranger

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
Me and the better half walk the Greenway here in my local town. It's a 7 mile loop and it's used by walker and bikers. No motorized travel allowed. It has signs posted every 1/4 mile marking mileage and advising bikers walkers have right away. Most all of them will shout a warning when approaching. Only problem I find on there is pet owners not cleaning up after them. Before my old dog was old he really enjoyed the walk. We used to carry bags and a scoop to clean up his poop. i wished more people would do this. No matter how big your pet is poop is poop. Please clean it up. You wouldn't want me pooping on your side walk. Just saying

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Hi folks,

I try to avoid getting involved with certain topics. Let me say this...I support recreation of all kinds with in reason. My wife and I hike in the desert and we encounter Mountain Bikes using the trails. I am cool with this when they alert us and not cool at all when the try to blow by without warning. Trails in our area are full of jumping Cholla...a nasty cactus and we had experience with an Ahole on a mountain bike that tried to blow by us without waring that was surprised by our stopping and swerved into one of these cactus... The spines broke off and he was covered from head to toe in spines... He was a hurtin' puppy....He yelled at us that it was our fault for being on a hiking trail.... We could have helped him to a degree, but screw him....his problem...

cholla.jpg

So...It is no secrete we have a Sonoran Tortoise for our pet. I teach a class at a Life Long Learning program as part of the University of Arizona. I conclude by talking about the decline of this species due to desert recreation and urban development. I indicate to the desert recreation folks to stay on existing back road trails and not bound across the desert where many tortoise are crushed or injured by this practice of cross desert....4x4s, UTV, ATV, Dirt Bikes and Mountain bikes.

Recreate prudently,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.
That’s a horrible situation, full of instant karma. I hope his mom fixed his haircut while she was removing his three-tequila cholla problem. I hate that stuff. Even picking it out of truck tires is a losing game.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Ok let's be clear here, the option I posted is a dirt bike, and I don't intend to ride mountain bike trails with it. And I can see the MTB riders already getting uptight that an "electric mountain bike" even exists.

It's just funny because this particular bike has videos all over youtube about people trying to ride them on mountain bike trails and the locals getting pissed about it. Even if passing at an extremely low speed... even if not riding at all, just parked in the parking area. They will get some uptight MTB rider going "HEY you can't ride that around here!" It's the same attitude, electric bikes are for lazy people.

Well, not really, they are also for people who are normally fans of dirt bikes but want to have a lower impact on the environment. I want you to know who you are talking to: I'm also a mountain bike rider, and racer, completed probably about 30 different races. Some of my favorite longer ones in Wisconsin are the "Ore to Shore" and "Chequamegon Fat Tire 40" which is mostly hills and for good measure ends at the top of the Telemark ski hill. So... don't group me in with the lazy fucks you mention. My last GPS recording:
FT40.jpg
Do you believe that local sprints qualify you as a trail ambassador?

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I don't offroad but I support responsible offroad sport and recreation....
There are far too many condescending Buzzkill types who claim the right to condemn any activity (including road biking) in which they have no interest. If given reign, they will likely outlaw all joy in the world except that which is derived from spoiling the joy of others.
I see a lot of that attitude going on in this thread. Some of these people would not be happy until going outside was illegal. Going to bail from this thread before it gets any worse. I don't want to get sucked in to any of these dumb arguments.
Sponsored