First Name
Gephro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
vet
I can't find engine number dose anyone know where it's located?
My dealer is telling me my new engine needs to be stamped with my old engine number. Sounds a bit sus. Do other Ford new engines come without a engine number?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gephro

Gephro

First Name
Gephro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
vet
I can't find engine number dose anyone know where it's located?
My dealer is telling me my new engine needs to be stamped with my old engine number. Sounds a bit sus. Do other Ford new engines come without a engine number?
This is the email the Ford Dealer Workshop manager sent me regarding the new 3.2 litre engine they are fitting.
I've never heard of any engine being made without a engine number.
Stamping an engine number from another engine sounds like what a Chop shop would do.
Anyone heard of this?

"The new engine will come with no engine number, we have to stamp the new engine with the original engine number."

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is the email the Ford Dealer Workshop manager sent me regarding the new 3.2 litre engine they are fitting.
I've never heard of any engine being made without a engine number.
Stamping an engine number from another engine sounds like what a Chop shop would do.
Anyone heard of this?

"The new engine will come with no engine number, we have to stamp the new engine with the original engine number."
IMO...Sum Ting Wong! Never knew a new Ford engine to not have a unique serial number. Is this a reman engine?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Gephro

Gephro

First Name
Gephro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
vet
IMO...Sum Ting Wong! Never knew a new Ford engine to not have a unique serial number. Is this a reman engine?

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
No brand new crate long motor. I contacted a Ford Engine seller outside of Ford who claimed to sell genuine engines that have there own engine number. They cost$10.000.
I've fitted Chevs and other motors in the past and always had to update licence registry with new engine number by law.

The dealer emailed me to say the new engine arrived approved by Ford after my original spun a main bearing after first service. I'm beginning to think maybe there's no new engine and they will try to fix my old engine and just tell me they replaced it? Metal in oil went through turbocharger bearings and they are refusing to replace it. Turbos on these motors are prone to fail as it is.

I'll ask to see the new crate engine, if there is one, look at it and see if indeed there is no engine number.
It's wierd.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
New crate diesels come without an engine number, the replacing dealer or mechanic is supposed to stamp them with the original engine number. The number on the 3.2 should be on the rear right hand side just in front of the bell housing.
If your engine spun a bearing after the first service I bet they let the oil drain for too long, and the oil pump unprimed, it's not uncommon, and dealers should know about it as it was subject to a TSB.

OP
OP
Gephro

Gephro

First Name
Gephro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
vet
New crate diesels come without an engine number, the replacing dealer or mechanic is supposed to stamp them with the original engine number. The number on the 3.2 should be on the rear right hand side just in front of the bell housing.
If your engine spun a bearing after the first service I bet they let the oil drain for too long, and the oil pump unprimed, it's not uncommon, and dealers should know about it as it was subject to a TSB.
Thanks for that appreciated. Dropped off Ranger yesterday for new engine. Yeah they definitely know about the oil pump priming issue. There's no excuses for what occurred to my engine. I hope the bloke who did my first service is not the same one fitting my new engine..
My main concerns now are the turbo bearings as there were chunks of metal fragments pumping around the engine which likely contaminated them. I requested they replace the Turbo as well which is a fair request but they are telling me no.
Do you think I should pursue this?

Thanks

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for that appreciated. Dropped off Ranger yesterday for new engine. Yeah they definitely know about the oil pump priming issue. There's no excuses for what occurred to my engine. I hope the bloke who did my first service is not the same one fitting my new engine..
My main concerns now are the turbo bearings as there were chunks of metal fragments pumping around the engine which likely contaminated them. I requested they replace the Turbo as well which is a fair request but they are telling me no.
Do you think I should pursue this?

Thanks
Hi Gephro

My opinion is to stand firm on replacement of the turbo or at least a cleaning to ensure there are not metal fragments to damage the turbo. At least the filter should catch any fragments and likely you will be okay. Wonder how they keep track of a motor without a serial number unique to the crate motor???

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Gephro

Gephro

First Name
Gephro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
vet
Hi Gephro

My opinion is to stand firm on replacement of the turbo or at least a cleaning to ensure there are not metal fragments to damage the turbo. At least the filter should catch any fragments and likely you will be okay. Wonder how they keep track of a motor without a serial number unique to the crate motor???

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil do you know how they prime a brand new engine with oil before turning it over?
If an engine can loose oil pump prime by something as simple as an oil change then the new oil pump would have no chance of priming.
The plain bearings in crank, mains, cam etc would be destroyed if they have never had any oil previously and given the high compression in a diesel it wouldn't take long..
Trouble with engine damage like this it may not be apparent for 50,000 miles. I'll take some oil samples at every service just in case.
The workshop manager also told me that they fixed the oil pump prime issue with these engines which is incorrect but if he honestly believes this he may start the engine only for the same destruction to occur once again.

I found out some details about the crate engine using the part number and it stated it was made in 2011. My Ranger is a 2019 so do you know if Ford changed anything in the last 10 years?

Thanks

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil do you know how they prime a brand new engine with oil before turning it over?
If an engine can loose oil pump prime by something as simple as an oil change then the new oil pump would have no chance of priming.
The plain bearings in crank, mains, cam etc would be destroyed if they have never had any oil previously and given the high compression in a diesel it wouldn't take long..
Trouble with engine damage like this it may not be apparent for 50,000 miles. I'll take some oil samples at every service just in case.
The workshop manager also told me that they fixed the oil pump prime issue with these engines which is incorrect but if he honestly believes this he may start the engine only for the same destruction to occur once again.

I found out some details about the crate engine using the part number and it stated it was made in 2011. My Ranger is a 2019 so do you know if Ford changed anything in the last 10 years?

Thanks
Hi Gephro,

I have no direct knowledge of the 3.2 Diesel, so can be of no help to you unfortunately. I think you are on the right track to research this engine and advise the service manager of how to properly start the motor. All motors are hot tested, and I believe this motor will come with engine oil in it, but it will likely need to be changed just due to the fact it sat for 8 years...

Sad that Ford did not address this issue of loosing prime for the oil pump. Is this 3.2 an in house engine or made by another company besides Ford?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
Gephro

Gephro

First Name
Gephro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
vet
Hi Gephro,

I have no direct knowledge of the 3.2 Diesel, so can be of no help to you unfortunately. I think you are on the right track to research this engine and advise the service manager of how to properly start the motor. All motors are hot tested, and I believe this motor will come with engine oil in it, but it will likely need to be changed just due to the fact it sat for 8 years...

Sad that Ford did not address this issue of loosing prime for the oil pump. Is this 3.2 an in house engine or made by another company besides Ford?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I asked Ford Australia about who made the engine and they didn't know and told me to ask the Dealer who didn't know either. I had a look at the crate and there is an engine number stapled on the crate (not engine) but no Ford stamped anywhere. Definitely not made in the USA..
I'll find out. I hear you in regards to old oil in sump. Hopefully this means that the oil pump is already primed.
I'll dump the old oil straight up if dealer doesn't otherwise it's 15,000 km until the next scheduled oil change.
I normally use Penrite Enviro 5w30 which is compatible with the Particulate filter.

Thanks for you help appreciate it

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Hi Gephro,

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you but I work in health and the last few days have been - well let's say busy. I would definitely, push to get a new turbo or at least have your concerns noted on the file, in case it craps itself down the road. It doesn't take much to damage turbo bearings and having white metal fragments go through it can't be good for it.

The issue with the oil pump is that Ford decided to use a variable displacement vane type oil pump which saves fuel by reducing oil flow when a high flow is not required. Not a bad idea in theory but unfortunately vane pumps don't always prime well if there is insufficient residual oil in them.
Taking too long to change the oil could let enough oil to drain from the pump that it might not re-prime successfully.
Later model pumps were supposed to incorporate a check valve to help prevent this but you still hear stories of them failing occasionally.

New pumps in new engines usually come packed with assembly lube to allow them to prime up on first start.

These diesels are indeed Ford engines, they are derivatives of the English Ford transit engines and are produced in the UK and South Africa engine plants. I don't know which plant supplies the engines for Australian vehicles - maybe both?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine

Unfortunately they have a bit of a bad name for reliability but the two main problems are this issue with the oil pump, and problems with the Siemens VDO piezo injectors sticking and the resultant over fueling causing cracked or holed pistons.
Otherwise they are a pretty good diesel, there a lot running around with quite high mileages on them, and many of them are working trucks which haven't had a kind life.

OP
OP
Gephro

Gephro

First Name
Gephro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
vet
Hi Gephro,

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you but I work in health and the last few days have been - well let's say busy. I would definitely, push to get a new turbo or at least have your concerns noted on the file, in case it craps itself down the road. It doesn't take much to damage turbo bearings and having white metal fragments go through it can't be good for it.

The issue with the oil pump is that Ford decided to use a variable displacement vane type oil pump which saves fuel by reducing oil flow when a high flow is not required. Not a bad idea in theory but unfortunately vane pumps don't always prime well if there is insufficient residual oil in them.
Taking too long to change the oil could let enough oil to drain from the pump that it might not re-prime successfully.
Later model pumps were supposed to incorporate a check valve to help prevent this but you still hear stories of them failing occasionally.

New pumps in new engines usually come packed with assembly lube to allow them to prime up on first start.

These diesels are indeed Ford engines, they are derivatives of the English Ford transit engines and are produced in the UK and South Africa engine plants. I don't know which plant supplies the engines for Australian vehicles - maybe both?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine

Unfortunately they have a bit of a bad name for reliability but the two main problems are this issue with the oil pump, and problems with the Siemens VDO piezo injectors sticking and the resultant over fueling causing cracked or holed pistons.
Otherwise they are a pretty good diesel, there a lot running around with quite high mileages on them, and many of them are working trucks which haven't had a kind life.
New motor getting fitted. I noted on the crate the engine was built in 2011.
If the new engine is ten years old would this still have the check valve before the oil pump?
Did Ford change anything on the 3.2 in the last ten years?
Driving around with a new engine a decade old sounds backward.

There was one bad injector replaced. I'm still pushing for new turbo as there's no way it will handle much before it will either seize or the oil seals in turbo will leak blocking the ptf. I travel in very remote areas so if Ford are happy to tow the vehicle when it breaks down up near the Dampier Peninsula fair enough but they will also have to provide a hire car so I can get my trailer out as well. Turbo's are only around $1000 which is cheap insurance.
I sampled the contaminated engine oil diluted with petrol and filtered through coffee filters and found chunks of metal.

I knew about the oil pump prime issue before I brought it and was told that Ford fixed it. The workshop manager told me it doesn't effect new Rangers so not sure what to believe.

I will post the outcome over the next week or so as if nothing else it might help someone avoid the drama I've had.
Lastly I should add that some people may not have discovered this issue if it happens to them because initially the only sign something was wrong was a faint ticking noise coming from engine. It gradually got worse and if your Ranger was only used as a shopping trolley it might take a year or more for the problem to develop into what occurred to mine by which time it may be out of warranty.
Also Consumer Law states that if a fault known or otherwise develops after the warranty has expired then it is still covered by law. Given something like this could take a while to develop then this will leave some recourse.

Thanks

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I must admit I'm really surprised that Ford still have a 10 year old crate engine sitting out the back. As far as I know nothing itself has changed in the basic 3.2 short or long engine since release in 2010. Some of the ancillaries have changed of course, but that won't be an issue for you because they will carry yours across. Px2 & 3 Rangers have a smaller turbocharger (to decrease turbo lag) than the PX1 series and of course don't have a power steering pump due to the move to electric steering.
I don't think the injectors have changed although the ECU programming probably has.
I don't know about the oil pump in this "new" older block. Maybe Ford have changed it but I doubt they would tear into a new crate engine.
Did they eventually say what killed your old engine. Was it the oil pump? Diesel in the oil sounds like a failed injector and didn't you say one was replaced. A stuck injector can crack or hole a piston pretty fast and if over fueling for a while before, hand fill up the oil with excess diesel.
Sponsored