Dean's 3D Printed Ignition Trim Ring Bezel (Build/Buy Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1988 Merkur Scorpio, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
Sadly I don't have a Lariat. Am I to sneak into the dealer with calipers and take measurements?

What is the issue? Maybe start a new thread on this?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
BTW, "Glow in the Dark" variant is up on ebay. See links at start of this thread...

FASRanger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2014 Mustang GT/CS and a 1989 GT Mustang vert.
Occupation
Aerospace Lab Technician
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered one today....fas88dts on Ebay

GSaff

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL FX4; 2018 BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Quick delivery and installed. It's perfect!

bb1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hot Pepper Red XLT
Got it today, thanks Dean!
Sidenote: My conspiracy minded friend thinks Dean is a Ford engineer who realized he could make a ton of money :LOL:

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
Got it today, thanks Dean!
Sidenote: My conspiracy minded friend thinks Dean is a Ford engineer who realized he could make a ton of money :LOL:
Son of a Ford engineer - actually. My father built the EECIV's, among other things.

Trust me - there is not a ton of money in Ranger ignition trim rings. But I'm happy I can cover the fee to help sponsor this website and provide something to help make Ranger owners more pleased with their vehicles.

bb1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hot Pepper Red XLT
Son of a Ford engineer - actually. My father built the EECIV's, among other things.

Trust me - there is not a ton of money in Ranger ignition trim rings. But I'm happy I can cover the fee to help sponsor this website and provide something to help make Ranger owners more pleased with their vehicles.
I believe it, I know how much those printers can run! Thanks for your service to the community. God Bless!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

HI Dean,

Boy do I have EEC IV back stories... Ask you father about the UDC Processors that were the size of a piece of carry on luggage....ACTs, ECTs, BMAPs ....96 pin connectors...heading toward 104 pin connectors...

I hand wired a 2.3L Ranger with EEC IV and Electonic Fuel Injection, the first truck in Ford's history to have EFI. It was amazing how smooth it was to drive vs. the carbureted 2.3L motor Maybe a back story of the flaw in logic for a 2.9L V6 that resulted in me renting Pikes Peak in December of 1984....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Dean

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Embedded SW Engineer
Phil -

My father retired in 93'. He worked at the Landsdale, PA plant. But before that he was with Philco.

He has a lot of good stories..but two stories come to mind regarding the EECIV...

At one time I can remember him explaining the benefits of engine controls with regard to emissions and he said that on some bad smog days in Los Angeles, EECIV equipped cars actually had cleaner air coming out of the tail pipes than what they were sucking in the air filter. Young people today scream about global warming. They have no idea how bad the pollution was in certain places back in the 70's & early 80's

The other thing I remember was him mentioning that it wasn't long after the ECCIV was established that the powertrain folks started showing up at the meetings wondering if they could get the EECIV to start controlling the automatic transmissions. As we all know the autos trans at the time were all based on the "fluid logic" of the valve bodies and these complicated and expensive components are now pretty much gone.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil -

My father retired in 93'. He worked at the Landsdale, PA plant. But before that he was with Philco.

He has a lot of good stories..but two stories come to mind regarding the EECIV...

At one time I can remember him explaining the benefits of engine controls with regard to emissions and he said that on some bad smog days in Los Angeles, EECIV equipped cars actually had cleaner air coming out of the tail pipes than what they were sucking in the air filter. Young people today scream about global warming. They have no idea how bad the pollution was in certain places back in the 70's & early 80's

The other thing I remember was him mentioning that it wasn't long after the ECCIV was established that the powertrain folks started showing up at the meetings wondering if they could get the EECIV to start controlling the automatic transmissions. As we all know the autos trans at the time were all based on the "fluid logic" of the valve bodies and these complicated and expensive components are now pretty much gone.
Hi Dean,

I can firm that the Ford vehicles at the time in California were emitting better exhaust than the engine ingested, and this remains to this day. And LA still has a smog problem just as the land did when it was only the indigenous people here and they called the land of Smoke and fire.

You are spot on with transmission control as well. The E4OD was the one I recall, and we installed the prototype in an Offroad race truck for proveout as well as standard testing. The Off Road truck led to 47 improvements that were incorporated in the transmission prior to introduction to production. Racing does improve the breed!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just received and popped mine in, thanks Dean!

Stockranger

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Funny, I got home with my truck and on about the second day I noticed the gap and how much movement the lock cylinder had. I text my sales man thinking that my truck must be simply missing the ring. He sent me a picture of another truck on the lot exactly like it. I couldn’t believe ford would leave it so unfinished and let the lock cylinder flop around.

just ordered one from Dean. Thank you for producing these. I can’t wait to get mine in.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.