Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Software Engineer / Home Brewer
Vehicle Showcase
I started my second Ranger related 3d printing project a few days ago, so it's time to start a project thread, since I'm sure this won't be my last project.

My first project was a 3d printed Midland GTX Radio belt clip to magnetic phone mount adapter, https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...lt-clip-to-magnetic-phone-mount-adapter.9514/. That was a pretty straight forward project.

gmrs-phone-mount-3.jpg
gmrs-phone-mount-2.jpg

Now I am working on inserts for the Lightforce Switch Fascia that I recently purchased mainly so my future Trailer Brake Controller has a place to live. I also wanted one of the Lightforce RJ45 Mic plug inserts, but they only sell those on their AU site and I'm not interested in paying overseas shipping for such a small part. Time to make my own!

First, I started with a blank insert...ok, not really...I flailed for a while working on the RJ45 insert before I refocused my efforts on lower hanging fruit.
After many prototypes, I finally got something that I'm satisfied with...

Fascia-Insert.jpeg

fascia-clip-side-profile.jpeg

fascia-clip-back-profile.jpeg

The clips and their associated support structure took the longest to fine tune. My insert clips-in and holds more firmly than the stock insert.

The Trailer Brake insert was next on my list. I'm struggling with the engraved text on the inserts, so I might remove that and try a vinyl sticker instead. Still, I'm very please with the results. The hole placement might also need some adjusting, but I'll work that out when I have the controller installed. The insert pictured below has been sanded and painted flat black.

trailer-brake-fascia-insert.jpeg

And finally, the reason I started this project...the RJ45 insert. It is still a work in progress. While the insert is mostly done, but I am still fine tuning the keystone clip for the RJ45 passthrough. Here's a preveiw...

rj45-fascia-insert.jpeg

I'll post an update once I have the RJ45 insert finished.
Sponsored

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
Man, that is some clean work! Glad to see others 3d printing Ranger parts. It's really a game changer for car mods

renewedcaper

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
I started my second Ranger related 3d printing project a few days ago, so it's time to start a project thread, since I'm sure this won't be my last project.

My first project was a 3d printed Midland GTX Radio belt clip to magnetic phone mount adapter, https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...lt-clip-to-magnetic-phone-mount-adapter.9514/. That was a pretty straight forward project.

gmrs-phone-mount-3.jpg
gmrs-phone-mount-2.jpg

Now I am working on inserts for the Lightforce Switch Fascia that I recently purchased mainly so my future Trailer Brake Controller has a place to live. I also wanted one of the Lightforce RJ45 Mic plug inserts, but they only sell those on their AU site and I'm not interested in paying overseas shipping for such a small part. Time to make my own!

First, I started with a blank insert...ok, not really...I flailed for a while working on the RJ45 insert before I refocused my efforts on lower hanging fruit.
After many prototypes, I finally got something that I'm satisfied with...

Fascia-Insert.jpeg

fascia-clip-side-profile.jpeg

fascia-clip-back-profile.jpeg

The clips and their associated support structure took the longest to fine tune. My insert clips-in and holds more firmly than the stock insert.

The Trailer Brake insert was next on my list. I'm struggling with the engraved text on the inserts, so I might remove that and try a vinyl sticker instead. Still, I'm very please with the results. The hole placement might also need some adjusting, but I'll work that out when I have the controller installed. The insert pictured below has been sanded and painted flat black.

trailer-brake-fascia-insert.jpeg

And finally, the reason I started this project...the RJ45 insert. It is still a work in progress. While the insert is mostly done, but I am still fine tuning the keystone clip for the RJ45 passthrough. Here's a preveiw...

rj45-fascia-insert.jpeg

I'll post an update once I have the RJ45 insert finished.
Did you make any more progress on these Lightforce inserts? I'd be very interested in buying a Brake Controller one if that's something you considered.

OP
OP
BadCatBrewer

BadCatBrewer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Software Engineer / Home Brewer
Vehicle Showcase
I just recently had my trailer brake controller installed and the dealer used my 3d printed prototype for mounting. Here's a picture, which is not great, but you can see the control knob in the fascia.
I have attached the STL file for my model.

IMG_1544.jpeg

Attachments

Jalan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
Good job!