Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Television cameraman and video editor
-No I didn't unhook the battery.
-Airbag wasn't an issue. Just tuck the wire in the A pillar gently.
- If I weren't living here in AZ I would've saved the extra money and went with the 4K Viofo. The heat rating is the only reason I went with the Thinkware.
-The OBD cable plugs right into the Thinkware power supply.

I think getting the 4K dual camera is worth the extra money. The main reason to get a dash cam is to be able to capture images clearly. The cheaper ones might capture them while still but tend to be very grainy while moving.

Here's some shots from mine both night and day.

REC_2021_06_12_12_33_28_F_2366.png

REC_2021_06_12_12_33_28_R_1963.png

REC_2021_06_11_20_36_13_F_5166.png

REC_2021_06_11_20_36_13_R_4446.png
Did you notice that you can't read the license plate in the night shot above? I have the Veement T70X dash cam (also called model A8 on small print on the box), and for $70 on Amazon, I'm very happy with it. It's a forward camera and a cabin (not a remote bumper view) camera. Shoot with both cameras and you get UHD on the front camera but not true 4k. It's 4k almost. But, to my point about not reading the license plate in the night shot above... The numbers on the plate are blown out in the night picture above. The dash cam I'm using allows you to set the exposure in steps. I set the exposure all the way negative and, while the overall video is dark, I can read the license plates in the night shot. Bring the video into the computer and I can brighten shots nicely to use all shots, night or day, in editing. But, at least you got the plate number should you need it. If you locate it on Amazon, don't be tricked into clicking the 'newer model' at the bottom; its second camera is not a cabin camera but a separate rear view camera to wire to the back of your vehicle. I'm sure it's fine, just be sure whether you want a cabin camera or a back bumper camera.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Did you notice that you can't read the license plate in the night shot above? I have the Veement T70X dash cam (also called model A8 on small print on the box), and for $70 on Amazon, I'm very happy with it. It's a forward camera and a cabin (not a remote bumper view) camera. Shoot with both cameras and you get UHD on the front camera but not true 4k. It's 4k almost. But, to my point about not reading the license plate in the night shot above... The numbers on the plate are blown out in the night picture above. The dash cam I'm using allows you to set the exposure in steps. I set the exposure all the way negative and, while the overall video is dark, I can read the license plates in the night shot. Bring the video into the computer and I can brighten shots nicely to use all shots, night or day, in editing. But, at least you got the plate number should you need it. If you locate it on Amazon, don't be tricked into clicking the 'newer model' at the bottom; its second camera is not a cabin camera but a separate rear view camera to wire to the back of your vehicle. I'm sure it's fine, just be sure whether you want a cabin camera or a back bumper camera.
I don't drive much at night so I really haven't noticed the night shots if they're clear or not. Not that we never go out after dark but just not a lot of reason to anymore. I think I can mess with the exposure on it too and they'd be clear but so far I haven't had a need to.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I don't drive much at night so I really haven't noticed the night shots if they're clear or not. Not that we never go out after dark but just not a lot of reason to anymore. I think I can mess with the exposure on it too and they'd be clear but so far I haven't had a need to.
There is a setting in the thinkware app to darken it too- i think there are 3 different setting. I was messing with it a bit because the headlights were washing out the license plate numbers at night.
Sponsored