Cross bed Tool boxes?

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
Mine came with one. Drove it for a week with it on and decided to remove it and installed a lowmax hard folding tonneau cover.

I looked for a tonneau cover that works with the tool box but didn't find one for the Ranger. My idea was to use the cross bed with the rear tool boxes, and a soft tonneau cover just to hide crap knowing it wouldn't be especially secure.

To that end, I may just attempt to make my own folding soft tonneau to work with a cross bed tool box.

FYI, this is my 4th Ranger and the previous 3 had both folding tonneau covers (liked the Paragon the most) and soft shell tops (liked Softopper better than Bestop, but added a window in the right side for blind spot) that I could switch back and forth from.
I believe the Diamond back hard cover can have a bin that runs cross-wise under the back flap. Kind of gives you the toolbox space while still having a tonneau cover.

Link to the bins
Sponsored

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
I have the same $250 Craftsman one from Lowe’s that another mentioned. As mentioned, the bolts are crap. I bought two 2-pack mounts from Tractor Supply. They are like the eBay ones without the waiting. The thing originally only came with two bolts so 4 is better :) Also, I adjusted the lock mounts to make the seal better but don’t get it too tight or the lock will not open without pushing it down. I also bought the rubber mat stuff to put on the bottom inside. Helps keep rattles down. That stupid label is also gone. Was crooked and looked stupid.
E3F2204F-2FFD-405E-841A-5788D5169776.jpeg

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
I believe the Diamond back hard cover can have a bin that runs cross-wise under the back flap. Kind of gives you the toolbox space while still having a tonneau cover.

Link to the bins
Since then, I bought a low profile cross bed toolbox that I really like. I just got the materials to fabricate an aluminum folding tonneau cover to work with the toolbox.

I looked at the bin tonneau but decided against it simply because my plan is to build the tonneau part to be easily removable while retaining the toolbox.

Appreciate the heads up.

Billho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX 2wd SuperCab, 2002 GMC Sierra
Since then, I bought a low profile cross bed toolbox that I really like. I just got the materials to fabricate an aluminum folding tonneau cover to work with the toolbox.

I looked at the bin tonneau but decided against it simply because my plan is to build the tonneau part to be easily removable while retaining the toolbox.

Appreciate the heads up.
Any chance you could post a photo of your truck with the box? Thanks!

I'm thinking of adding one to mine and having some difficulty finding one that I like at a decent price. I have a white STX with the 6' bed, so I don't want the sloped sides if I can avoid it. I like the look of a tonneau better, but for my purposes, I think a toolbox would be more practical.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Any chance you could post a photo of your truck with the box? Thanks!

I'm thinking of adding one to mine and having some difficulty finding one that I like at a decent price. I have a white STX with the 6' bed, so I don't want the sloped sides if I can avoid it. I like the look of a tonneau better, but for my purposes, I think a toolbox would be more practical.
Here ya go. One of photos shows the aluminum angles attached to the toolbox in preparation for the cover I'm fabricating. Life happens so not done yet.

CF10F8B7-E7CF-4C32-801E-8F76B923161E.jpeg

C009DD6F-6163-4206-9CF6-862BC83B0E8B.jpeg

passaloutre

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Anybody got a part number for the Craftsman box? I can only find 71 inch boxes on the Lowes sites...

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So finally got around to working on building a folding hard cover to work with my cross bed toolbox. Not quite done as I haven't sealed the center fold joint but will probably velcro a section of canopy material over the joint. I never wanted a perfectly sealed cover to begin with, just wanted reasonable security.

20211107_131729 (Small).jpg

20211107_131748 (Small).jpg
Sponsored