Built Ford Tough

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
https://www.motortrend.com/news/are-jeep-wranglers-safe-crash-test-results/#:~:text=NHTSA subjected the Wrangler to,stars for a front imp

I can recall being behind Jeep Wrangers some years back in an intense rainstorm and on 2 occasions seeing them hydroplane badly and go into a slide, one rolling over, they were driving too fast for the conditions for sure but seeing the lack of control on the slick highway was scary.
i drove a wrangler probably 5 or 6 years ago on a test drive. started the test drive in the rain, but it stopped raining midway through. I came up on a turn and had a green light, and the road was definitely still very wet, but i was shocked at how quickly it lost traction and i went sideways into oncoming lanes (fortunately no one was oncoming). i wasn't hooning the thing, i was just taking what was a normal predictable turn that was in an area i was very familiar with. i got back to the dealer without further incident, but quickly declined to buy and left.

i really cannot emphasize how surprising the skid was. i goof off in parking lots sometimes and like to have fun, so i have a little bit of a sense of what is normal driving and what is horsing around. i was just keepin it simple that day, not even trying to push the limits.
Sponsored

OP
OP
hawk43

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
So an update.. I stopped by my local body shop who I trust and ask then when their paint less dent guy was coming and they said this week not sure exactly when...I ask was he good and they said yes. They said they would call when they found out when he would be there.... That was Tuesday...Today about 11:00 they called and said he was coming I could wait for when he arrives or bring the truck and leave it... I said I'll be right over so wife and I dropped it off....Got a call about 2 saying it was ready...So off I go he had already left so didn't talk to him but the repair is PERFECT....Very hard to do especially on a dark shiny color in the dead center of a very flat surface........Very pleased and the price was 100 bucks. SO that is good too for the result as well....

Those guys that are good can some amazing stuff with their bag of tools...I am one of THOSE guys that is anal on those things and this job is undetectable....I've had two successful outcomes with paint less dent guys one on an SRT 392 Challenger and now this ranger...

Good luck with your trucks and dents lol... I was worried cause of where it was and wasn't sure if aluminum was as fixable as usual body material...

Later

Last edited:

Bkfore

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 2wd magnetic
Occupation
Retired
Hi Joe,

The use of aluminum is both driven by Corporate Average Fuel Economy and competitive advantage. What happened when Ford launched the all aluminum F Series, the tow advantage was huge. Ford marketed the aluminum as Military Grade and much more ding resistant. Ford also locked up the aluminum suppliers to long term contracts to supply aluminum to guarantee supply as well as prevent GM and Chrysler from following suit. What I do not know is if Ford, on Ranger, reduced the thickness of the aluminum and if they did...why? Also Ranger only got the front clip and the tailgate...again why? My ear to the ground, it was to achieve cost targets as steel is cheaper. Aluminum requires more exotic techniques to assemble a body, but a tailgate and the front clip are just bolt on so can ship into the plant with little to no assembly plant fabrication required. many difficult trade off decisions for the Ranger Program.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Shortly after getting our truck a year ago, we were headed to Orlando for a week. We were in the middle lane of the freeway when a car in front changed lanes and kicked up a 4ft long piece of metal. I couldn't swear to miss it and slowed as much as I could without causing an accident as we were sure the metal was coming through the windshield. The metal hit the from of the truck and we ran over it. Once we got off the freeway as the tire went flat, we were sure the front end was destroyed. This is when were thankfull the truck had the chrome package and a steel bumper. Not a mark on the front, but tire destroyed.
A second note, to this wmas no tire shops carried Bridgestone tires. Found a Ford dealer 40 miles away that found a new tire the next day. Took all my points and $140 for the tire. Thankful to escape with only that.

20191209_140037.jpg

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Shortly after getting our truck a year ago, we were headed to Orlando for a week. We were in the middle lane of the freeway when a car in front changed lanes and kicked up a 4ft long piece of metal. I couldn't swear to miss it and slowed as much as I could without causing an accident as we were sure the metal was coming through the windshield. The metal hit the from of the truck and we ran over it. Once we got off the freeway as the tire went flat, we were sure the front end was destroyed. This is when were thankfull the truck had the chrome package and a steel bumper. Not a mark on the front, but tire destroyed.
A second note, to this wmas no tire shops carried Bridgestone tires. Found a Ford dealer 40 miles away that found a new tire the next day. Took all my points and $140 for the tire. Thankful to escape with only that.

20191209_140037.jpg
another outstanding chrome package story ! but are all those less fortunate in not having the chrome package driving with non steel bumpers ?

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT F+4
Hey new member here ?. Only had my new Ranger for a week when I went to visit my mother in a retirement home. While parked outside standing right next to my truck a lady in a Hyundai Kona backed up and ran right into the front of my truck while I watched in horror!! Then proceeded to see that my truck had no damage or a scratch, while the back end of the ladies Kona was banged up and scratched up. Didn’t give her too much grief over it as she felt shitty in a couple ways.

Ford tough!!?

Last edited:

Gunny8531

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
“Why is the sheet metal on these trucks so damn thin. Everytime I turn around I have a new dent or door ding. I have never owned a vehicle that such thin, weak metal. I am not sure I would feel real safe getting in a T Bone wreck with this truck.” - Tacoma owner forum post.

Sign of the times indeed
Had a guy hit my 2020 in the left rear quarter panel. It did $6000 damage. However, the damage to my Ranger was minor compared to his Toyauto. It seems thin until you get into a real accident. Must have a lot more support behind that thin skin. Just sayin'.
Sponsored