First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
I have creeped this forum since I bought by truck and figured I have done enough to warrant a build thread of my own. I have never been one for naming my vehicles so I guess for my build thread I will call mine the Black and White Ford F***ing Ranger (I know not very creative). At some point I will figure out how to add pictures but for now I will just list out all of the things I have done and my impressions of them, so I can have a running list if anyone has questions or suggestions I am all ears. I will also update the list if I add anything but for now I think the wife is over it when it comes to me buying more stuff for the truck.

The truck is a 2020 Lariat FX4 in Platinum White with the Technology package so it already had a fair amount of features in the truck for me to play with. Most of my additions are based around getting utility while keeping costs somewhat in check. I use my truck as a daily driver (when I am not riding the motorcycle) and for entertainment as well.

Additions to date

Leitner ACS rack- I am a huge fan of this rack, I love the ability to slide to cross bar forward to get it out of the way when not needed and still have the strength in the structure. In addition to putting things on top of the rack ( kayak surf board, bikes, snowboards etc..) I also tend to use the the rack as a tiedown spot for cargo in the bed. If I was to do it again I would have opted for the forged rack however due to the additional capability to add a tonneau cover but wasn't available when I purchased.

2 sets of Foldable J hook Racks for Kayak- I don't keep these on the truck full time due to mpg hit, but they do work great for carrying my 2 kayaks.

Decked drawer system- I love this setup, I do agree that you do lose some bed space but having the waterproof drawers in the bed in clutch for me. I also like that the top surface removes the consideration of the wheel wells when I am loading the bed and there is still enough side wall to keep things secure in the bed. When I am concerned I also strap things to the rack.

Bullet liner- I usually get Line-X on all of my trucks prior but after reading reviews I decided to give this one a chance. Have had it over a year so far and have had no issues.

Prinsu Roof Rack- Realized for camping and off-roading I ran out of space really quick (I bring a lot with me). Have not used the rack yet but do like how it looks and am sure that functionally it will do exactly what I want when I finally have time to get away.

Bushwacker smooth fender flares- Added these because the fender wells on my truck were white when I bought the truck (I don't know who had that brilliant idea but they should be slapped) and after washing the truck and driving for about 2 minutes they immediately looked like crap. The flares stuck out further than I intended but grew to love the look and keep the sides of the truck fairly clean.

FactionFab 1.5 In spacers- With the fender flares the stock wheels were inset too much and it looked clownish. I evaluated the risks and elected to go this route. Have had them on for 6 months or so and beat the crap out of them (70+ mph on dirt roads, Pretty sure the truck went airborne at one point off-roading) and had no problems

Tailgate Damper- I know the debate and I lift plenty of weight in the gym to stave off the arm weakness that can come with owning this mod, But I have a 5 year old who can open the tailgate on his own and don't want to deal with the drama of him getting smacked in the head when it falls. Plus I like the whoosh sound it makes as it opens.

Amazon Grill with the 3 lights- I don't like the chrome on my truck and have almost got rid of it all Will probably paint the rest at some point. I like this grill because it is plain and looks aggressive at the same time. I spliced the lights into my headlight circuit so they are on whenever my lights are and seems to work great.

Nilight 6 switch Panel, 40 Inch double row light bar, 2 hood pod lights 2 5.5 in light bars in bumper, and 2 5.5 in light bars in the rear, and bed lighting. ( I have 2 more 5.5 in lights for side lighting just haven't installed yet)- Wanted to add some lighting to the truck for night off-roading and got a little carried away. I like the Nilight setup because it only costs a fraction of the name brand stuff and as far as I can tell it functions just as well. I may add yellow tint to the bars to help in the desert dust at some point but haven't got around to it yet.

Cosmetic touches
Black and white Flag in rear window- I am career military so having a flag on my truck seemed like a necessity. For real though this makes it difficult to see out of the back window but I am able to use my side mirrors and I like how it looks so it stays. I wish it was one of the decals like they have on busses that can be seen though one way but have not found that as option.

Replaced stock FX4 stickers with a set with black and white flag in the lettering- Not much to say about this other than I think it looks cool and I wanted it.

Gold aircrew wings and chrome Rescue swimmer emblems on the tailgate- had to represent. so far these are the only things I added that are not black or white but that is only because I could not find them in that color.

Bullet antenna- just like the look and is on theme.

Ranger flag letters- can never have too many flags.

Painted the FX4 front skid plate black with Truck bed liner- I am a little rough on my truck and have used the skid plates as designed a few times. Figured this was on theme and hides the scratches well.

Future Plans
Thinking about adding the Fox 2.5 Coilovers and rear suspension upgrade and going up to 33 in tires once the stock tires are finished but they are lasting longer than I expected (28k so far) but Current gas prices have me rethinking that decision will see what the future holds.

I will be painting my rims and calipers black at some point to go with the theme. Just need time to do it and that is hard to come by.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I have creeped this forum since I bought by truck and figured I have done enough to warrant a build thread of my own. I have never been one for naming my vehicles so I guess for my build thread I will call mine the Black and White Ford F***ing Ranger (I know not very creative). At some point I will figure out how to add pictures but for now I will just list out all of the things I have done and my impressions of them, so I can have a running list if anyone has questions or suggestions I am all ears. I will also update the list if I add anything but for now I think the wife is over it when it comes to me buying more stuff for the truck.

The truck is a 2020 Lariat FX4 in Platinum White with the Technology package so it already had a fair amount of features in the truck for me to play with. Most of my additions are based around getting utility while keeping costs somewhat in check. I use my truck as a daily driver (when I am not riding the motorcycle) and for entertainment as well.

Additions to date

Leitner ACS rack- I am a huge fan of this rack, I love the ability to slide to cross bar forward to get it out of the way when not needed and still have the strength in the structure. In addition to putting things on top of the rack ( kayak surf board, bikes, snowboards etc..) I also tend to use the the rack as a tiedown spot for cargo in the bed. If I was to do it again I would have opted for the forged rack however due to the additional capability to add a tonneau cover but wasn't available when I purchased.

2 sets of Foldable J hook Racks for Kayak- I don't keep these on the truck full time due to mpg hit, but they do work great for carrying my 2 kayaks.

Decked drawer system- I love this setup, I do agree that you do lose some bed space but having the waterproof drawers in the bed in clutch for me. I also like that the top surface removes the consideration of the wheel wells when I am loading the bed and there is still enough side wall to keep things secure in the bed. When I am concerned I also strap things to the rack.

Bullet liner- I usually get Line-X on all of my trucks prior but after reading reviews I decided to give this one a chance. Have had it over a year so far and have had no issues.

Prinsu Roof Rack- Realized for camping and off-roading I ran out of space really quick (I bring a lot with me). Have not used the rack yet but do like how it looks and am sure that functionally it will do exactly what I want when I finally have time to get away.

Bushwacker smooth fender flares- Added these because the fender wells on my truck were white when I bought the truck (I don't know who had that brilliant idea but they should be slapped) and after washing the truck and driving for about 2 minutes they immediately looked like crap. The flares stuck out further than I intended but grew to love the look and keep the sides of the truck fairly clean.

FactionFab 1.5 In spacers- With the fender flares the stock wheels were inset too much and it looked clownish. I evaluated the risks and elected to go this route. Have had them on for 6 months or so and beat the crap out of them (70+ mph on dirt roads, Pretty sure the truck went airborne at one point off-roading) and had no problems

Tailgate Damper- I know the debate and I lift plenty of weight in the gym to stave off the arm weakness that can come with owning this mod, But I have a 5 year old who can open the tailgate on his own and don't want to deal with the drama of him getting smacked in the head when it falls. Plus I like the whoosh sound it makes as it opens.

Amazon Grill with the 3 lights- I don't like the chrome on my truck and have almost got rid of it all Will probably paint the rest at some point. I like this grill because it is plain and looks aggressive at the same time. I spliced the lights into my headlight circuit so they are on whenever my lights are and seems to work great.

Nilight 6 switch Panel, 40 Inch double row light bar, 2 hood pod lights 2 5.5 in light bars in bumper, and 2 5.5 in light bars in the rear, and bed lighting. ( I have 2 more 5.5 in lights for side lighting just haven't installed yet)- Wanted to add some lighting to the truck for night off-roading and got a little carried away. I like the Nilight setup because it only costs a fraction of the name brand stuff and as far as I can tell it functions just as well. I may add yellow tint to the bars to help in the desert dust at some point but haven't got around to it yet.

Cosmetic touches
Black and white Flag in rear window- I am career military so having a flag on my truck seemed like a necessity. For real though this makes it difficult to see out of the back window but I am able to use my side mirrors and I like how it looks so it stays. I wish it was one of the decals like they have on busses that can be seen though one way but have not found that as option.

Replaced stock FX4 stickers with a set with black and white flag in the lettering- Not much to say about this other than I think it looks cool and I wanted it.

Gold aircrew wings and chrome Rescue swimmer emblems on the tailgate- had to represent. so far these are the only things I added that are not black or white but that is only because I could not find them in that color.

Painted the FX4 front skid plate black with Truck bed liner- I am a little rough on my truck and have used the skid plates as designed a few times. Figured this was on theme and hides the scratches well.

Future Plans
Thinking about adding the Fox 2.5 Coilovers and rear suspension upgrade and going up to 33 in tires once the stock tires are finished but they are lasting longer than I expected (28k so far) but Current gas prices have me rethinking that decision will see what the future holds.
Congrats on your new build...you know what's next right?

Pics or it didn't happen... ?

OP
OP

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
Congrats on your new build...you know what's next right?

Pics or it didn't happen... ?
will pictures of my bank account being depleted or pics of my wife rolling her eyes at me when I tell her I "need this (insert item here)" suffice as proof?

OP
OP

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
sometimes pics of the wife are better than the pics of the truck.
I was being sarcastic and never gonna happen. Like I said I have been creeping this forum for a while and some of you guys are savages.

OP
OP

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
Build Update:
The original plan was to go with FOX suspension but was able to get a gently used set of Eibach's for a steal of a deal so went that direction. I have already replaced the rear shocks and will do the fronts at some point. The Front should be lifted about 3 inches once the coil overs go in so I am waiting until I am ready to change out the tires to throw those on.

I have also decided that I will replace the rear leaf springs as well so that way I am not squatting once the fronts go in. I will be getting a 1 inch lift set of OME springs that should round everything else out nicely.

OP
OP

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
New pics from latest outing. Waiting for work trip to end to put on the front coilovers and rear leaf springs.

20220410_121445.jpg

20220410_104657.jpg

20220410_104555.jpg

OP
OP

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
Lift kit finally installed. Took a little longer than expected and now need to get the alignment done and get some bigger shoes. But overall am very happy with how it rides now. Ended up going with OME 1.7in lift leaf springs and Eibach 3 in lift coilovers.

20220501_123659.jpg

OP
OP

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Additions to date

Cosmetic touches

Bullet antenna- just like the look and is on theme.

Ranger flag letters- can never have too many flags.

Future Plans

I will be painting my rims and calipers black at some point to go with the theme. Just need time to do it and that is hard to come by.
Hey Jason,

That’s quite a long list. I see you’re just getting started. ?

I like the way your build is coming together and how you’ve planned it to meet your needs. Looking good.

OP
OP

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
Where was this at?
These were taken at various spots in Anzo Borrego.

Hey Jason,

That’s quite a long list. I see you’re just getting started. ?

I like the way your build is coming together and how you’ve planned it to meet your needs. Looking good.
I think planning is a strong word that doesn't really apply. More like see a need fill a need.

I've never seen the LED tail lights on before, they look awesome!
Tail lights are the stock Lariat ones nothing special. Lights above are the Nilght 5.5 in lights I put up for working around tailgate at night.
Sponsored