Geoff

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just to wrap this up, I played around a bit with the OBDLink MX+ some today and it works great for live data. Gauges don't have a huge lag and they update quickly. I also tried Forscan Lite and prefer this app for diagnostic codes. It's a $5 app which I won't use much (hopefully not at all on my Ranger :) ) but the OBDLink app and Forscan apps each connect to the MX+ reader quickly and with "good lag" (24mS according to the forscan app). Connection seems very robust, i never any any issues with things connecting. The fact that this little reader reads both CAN busses (the normal HS-CAN and the Ford MS-CAN) automatically is of great value.

Here are the modules Forscan Lite is reporting back on my Lariat. As shown, several notable controllers are on the Ford MS-CAN bus...

Bus: HSCAN
  • PCM - Powertrain Control Module
  • OBDII - On Board Diagnostic II
  • APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
  • PAM - Parking Aid Module
  • BdyCM - Body Control Module

Bus: HSCAN2
  • ABS - Antilock braking system
  • TCU - Telematic Control Unit Module
  • RCM - Restraint Control Module
  • PSCM - Power Steering Control Module
  • SCCM - Steering Column Control Module
  • GWM - Gateway Module A
  • IPMA - Image Processing Module A

Bus: HSCAN3
  • IPC - Instrument Panel Control Module

Bus: MSCAN
  • SODR - Side Obstacle Detection Control Module - Right
  • SODL - Side Obstacle Detection Control Module - Left
  • FCIM - Front Controls Interface Module
  • TRM - Trailer Module
  • RTM - Radio Transceiver Module
Sponsored

TheLoneRider

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4, 2018 Escape Titanium, 2017 Mustang GT Convertible
Just got my ODB2Link MX+ yesterday and plugged it in for my drive to work.

I have an unused Moto G6 smartphone I am running the app on. That way it can be "dedicated" to the OBD2 apps and not interfere with my regular cellphone. Ordered a dashmount that should hold it above the steering wheel so I can have have Digital speed, Tach, and Boost in line of sight while driving.

Using the "OBDLink" app from the same folks the adapter came from and it seems to work well and cover everything. I have used Torque and Dash Command before with mixed results (could be due to cheapo $15 ODB2 adapters though). Once I get things sorted out I will check some of the other apps that get good reviews (OBDEleven, EOBD Facile, InCarDoc, OBDmax, Garage Pro)

As for the Vehicle settings in OBDLink app, it read the VIN but it didn't "recognize" as a Ford Ranger. In the edit Vehicle info screen I put in the obvious info but not sure what I should use for:

Volumetric efficiency? - After reading info in app I selected 85
Brake Specific Fuel Consumption? - After reading info in app I selected .55
Fuel Calculation Method? - Winged it and went with "Direct Fuel Rate"

Thoughts? Anyone using or recommend different settings or a different App

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
Interesting. I might try this on the Ranger. I have a setup using a GoPoint BT1A adapter. I have been using it for a couple years now. Thru the adapter I can display gauges etc thru Android Auto on my headunit using Dashcommand. I need to try it on the Ranger and see if I can do the same with the Ranger's system. Here is a short video I made after installing it, car is not running but you get the idea.

Sponsored