First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Sorry Doc i didn't respond. Im not positive what tracks we'll run at. Haven't discussed it with my son yet. They have a couple of car they're going to run. He told me its 11.50s. im getting really close to finishing it up. Things left to do. Install racing seats, racing battery, NGK plugs, oil change with racing oil, fill coolant, bolt nitrous tank down, install switch panel. Trak lock and build traction bars. Fats and skinnies. From what i was told. Tune is going to take a while. Heres some pics of turbo installed.

View attachment 52980

View attachment 52981

View attachment 52982
Nice Work !
Regards
Doc

ROOK

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2017 BMW 230 I convertible
Occupation
Retired
Tim thanks for all the information on your build and your turbo looks great! I know all of us are so interested what you have done with ā€œherā€. Canā€˜t wait to hear more about your drag racing 4 cylinder !!

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
Ford says min 2wd weight is 4145. about the same as a challenger RT. (4140). Not trying to rain on your parade, but just trying to get my mind around the choice.

DevilDog1775

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Vehicle Showcase
I just found this thread now.

I do have a turbo from CR Performance and I am tuned by 5Star. I am quite happy with it. I am nowhere near $2,500 though. I bought a turbo and sent it to their shop to be worked on. You can get a new turbo from Levittown for about $480, send it to their shop along with $850 and you are set. Then you can probably sell the turbo you take out. I actually bought a turbo out of a wrecked Ranger with very few miles on it for even less. I did replace quite a few of the gaskets and such just because I didn't want to rip the thing apart again in the event of a coolant leak or what not. Regardless, I am quite pleased with it.

Below is the before and after chart that CR Performance has on their website. Some pretty good gains and the low end is not a problem. I do sense a bit more lag, but it is also warmer out this time of year. Plus I swapped the intercooler out, i.e., larger air volume post-turbo. I'll have a better opinion on that once it gets cold again. I am also reading Corky Bell. Makes sense to read up on turbo engineering and science after I have already replaced the turbo.

Anyway and like I said, I am happy with it. While the turbo does take a strong day for a weekend warrior working with his 11 year old son to make the swap, it was much less involved than Baranger's odyssey. I have the AFE intercooler pipes and Turbosmart BOV. That was easy enough. And an intercooler from Levels Performance. With any of the 91 performance, e30, and e50 tunes from 5Star, the power is pretty ridiculous. The only way I can describe it... well only two ways I can describe it are violent and of course fun. The neighbors and my wife also add LOUD to this list. The AFE downpipe and Borla exhaust do like to sing. I pretty much have a race engine now and the only other bolt ons that might be of interest are a larger throttle body (+ a spacer?) and a fuel pump that would allow me to run e85. But I don't see the cost/benefit ratio working out for me as the fuel pump is anywhere from $1,600 to $2,200. I think I'll hold off and build a rally car with my son instead.

@Baranger, can't wait to see your numbers. Also, I am impressed with your bravery in taking on that project and skill in fabricating the pieces together. Mad skilz man! Oh, and if you are looking to shave some more weight, you might look at the fiberglass and carbon fiber hoods, fenders, and bed sides that are available. They are more off road oriented, but they really are not that expensive. For example, https://www.rksport.com/category-s/2262.htm The hoods also add some heat dissipation which might reduce heat soak before the tree turns green and during the second 1/8th mile.

Good luck and share your race results!

1598539566793.png

Last edited:

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
Yeah the fastest mid size truck ever. I dont know what i was thinking. Hahaha. I should have bought one of the slower ones.
No, i'm saying used 'stang ecos are a dime a dozen. going to be lighter handle better, way more parts available, like brakes for cheap. not to mention a whole community of builders and parts and tuners. I mean to each his own, and i admire you skills for sure, but still it's not gonna be faster then a lighter vehicle or cheaper to build. so saying that is like, well, not true.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
No, i'm saying used 'stang ecos are a dime a dozen. going to be lighter handle better, way more parts available, like brakes for cheap. not to mention a whole community of builders and parts and tuners. I mean to each his own, and i admire you skills for sure, but still it's not gonna be faster then a lighter vehicle or cheaper to build. so saying that is like, well, not true.
We rednecks here in north Florida like to race trucks....

Regards
Doc

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cool Dude
We rednecks here in north Florida like to race trucks....

Regards
Doc
you're also putting a bigger turbo on your truck?

For the OP, gonna be a cool build, can't wait to see the numbers :thumbsup:

500 to the rears, looks like the Connecting rods are the weak point of the motor as delivered.

Last edited:

ROOK

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2017 BMW 230 I convertible
Occupation
Retired
Nice reading about your builds, JIm and TIm. Go get them! Iron sharpens iron.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
you're also putting a bigger turbo on your truck?

For the OP, gonna be a cool build, can't wait to see the numbers :thumbsup:

500 to the rears, looks like the Connecting rods are the weak point of the motor as delivered.
Bigger turbo for me nah, Iā€™m happy with 388 lb/ft torque to the rear wheels..the hard part is making it stick...93 unleashed tune ...no mods..
Regards

5DE8D107-1A0D-42C5-849C-1B62C8812DD0.jpeg

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Well, it is not true... until it is. I give the guy deference on what he thinks he can do. Plus, don't discount the entertainment value in the building phase and overcoming difficulties. Overcoming the difficulties gives a lot more satisfaction than taking the easy path. I spent a number of years in the Marine Corps and now I am an attorney. I chose both the Marine Corps and law school because they were the tougher options that scared many away from even making an attempt at them. Sometimes when things don't make sense or seem too difficult or too expensive, some people say F-it and hell yeah, I am going to do it! Regardless, if it doesn't turn out, we all pay for our education one way or another. So why not go for it? Make it lighter, make it drive straight or corner well, keep the tires on the pavement, add a few more horsepower, tackle the challenge or learn from the missed attempts. But don't be defeated before you give it a shot. Why modify a Mustang when it is easy enough to just throw money at it? This isn't my challenge as we each choose our own. I say whatever challenge you see, go for it! I want to see that fast Ranger especially if it can beat a Mustang and a Challenger!
Thank you for your service, Spectre Gunship here, Viet Nam 69/70/71..then I went to medical school and got an MD....just goes to show, the only thing in this life that holds you back is yourself...
Regards
Doc
EDIT: I was interested in law, and became a medical records analyst for the mal practice defense firm of Lanza and Oā€™Connor in coral gables Fla...retired in 2002..
Sponsored