Beach camping (and other campground suggestions) in New England

Cactus Jim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX
I'm trying to be more proactive about planning some camping trips and finding places along the coast that allow overnight camping, preferably on the beach. I'm realizing this may be more difficult in New England than other parts of the East Coast.

Anyone have any recommendations on spots that allow camping/fires on the beach? Down here in southern RI, most beachfront land has been developed and isn't camping-friendly.

Short of that, I haven't done much camping at all in New England since moving here. I'm open to any other places you guys think are worth checking out for a weekend!
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I use an app called “on X hunt”. You get a trial period but well worth the price for everything you’re looking for and trails added in with it.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Race Point in Province Town allows camping on the beach but you had to be self contained (can not drag a trailer out onto the beach). You need to purchase an oversand permit and they are sticklers for the required equipment.

Sandy Neck in Barnstable also allows beach camping, not sure about now but they used to allow you to pull a pop-up onto the beach. Also need an oversand permit.

Scusset Beach Campground in Sandwich is not really beach camping but you are only a couple hundred yards from the beach and less to the Cape Cod Canal access road. Don't need an off-road vehicle and just pay per night for your camp site. Most have power and water.

These three places are either part of the national sea shore or part of the Massachusetts park system. There are plenty of other private camp grounds on the cape that are near the water but not really on the beach. The opposite end of the canal from Scusset is Boure Senic Park. It runs right along the canal. Then there is also Myles Standish State Forest. It is full of camping sites most all have a beach area on one of the many ponds in the forest.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Cactus Jim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX
Race Point in Province Town allows camping on the beach but you had to be self contained (can not drag a trailer out onto the beach). You need to purchase an oversand permit and they are sticklers for the required equipment.

Sandy Neck in Barnstable also allows beach camping, not sure about now but they used to allow you to pull a pop-up onto the beach. Also need an oversand permit.

Scusset Beach Campground in Sandwich is not really beach camping but you are only a couple hundred yards from the beach and less to the Cape Cod Canal access road. Don't need an off-road vehicle and just pay per night for your camp site. Most have power and water.

These three places are either part of the national sea shore or part of the Massachusetts park system. There are plenty of other private camp grounds on the cape that are near the water but not really on the beach. The opposite end of the canal from Scusset is Boure Senic Park. It runs right along the canal. Then there is also Myles Standish State Forest. It is full of camping sites most all have a beach area on one of the many ponds in the forest.
this is so helpful for me, thank you!

it sounds like the Cape is the perfect place for me to check out. And it’s only an hour and a half to the Bourne Bridge from my house so definitely viable for a weekend trip.

Looks like the first step is getting my MA overland permit

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
this is so helpful for me, thank you!

it sounds like the Cape is the perfect place for me to check out. And it’s only an hour and a half to the Bourne Bridge from my house so definitely viable for a weekend trip.

Looks like the first step is getting my MA overland permit
FYI, Racepoint is part of the national sea shore so the oversand permit comes from them. You can buy a full season or a one week permit. The Sandy Neck will come from the state.

a33maxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Hammonasset Beach State Park in Connecticut has a campground, $30/night for out of state residents. Water/electrical hookups are available for $15/night. Fires are allowed but they must be elevated, and you cannot bring in outside firewood. There is a store onsite that sells firewood and does pit rentals.

https://hammonasset.org/about-the-park/
Sponsored