First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
So I am looking to upgrade my lighting. I have a few other Baja Design lights on my truck so I would like to stick with this brand. Does anyone here have experience with the new LP4s? Or even the LP9s or LP6s? I plan to not use a light bar and use these instead. They would be installed as ditch lights using brackets for the hood but be facing more forward rather than down. (Driving Light Combo)

1. Are the LP4s too large to sit by the pillars?
  2. Will the Squadron Pros be enough output?
  3. Are the LP4s worth the extra coin?
  4. Should I be considering a light bar instead?
So many questions. I have the Squadron Sports as Fog light replacements. Those are nice but not enough output for ditch lights.
Sponsored

Baja Designs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Baja Designs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silverado H.D.
So I am looking to upgrade my lighting. I have a few other Baja Design lights on my truck so I would like to stick with this brand. Does anyone here have experience with the new LP4s? Or even the LP9s or LP6s? I plan to not use a light bar and use these instead. They would be installed as ditch lights using brackets for the hood but be facing more forward rather than down. (Driving Light Combo)

1. Are the LP4s too large to sit by the pillars?
  2. Will the Squadron Pros be enough output?
  3. Are the LP4s worth the extra coin?
  4. Should I be considering a light bar instead?
So many questions. I have the Squadron Sports as Fog light replacements. Those are nice but not enough output for ditch lights.
Hi DrewKD88,

The LP series is really efficient because of the 200 degree spread it provides. But to best utilize it's features is for the lights to be mounted in front of a vehicle. It's not recommended to mount an LP4/LP6/LP9 on an A-pillar mount because the IPTs will actually shine into the cab. This blinds the driver. Instead, I would use either the XL series (4.5"x4.5") or the Squadron series (3"x3") in a spot lens. The bigger XL series provides a reflector that's double the size in depth and width. This means we get a wider spread and longer distance. For some, this light may be too big for a mid size truck and they settle for the Squadron. Since you already have experience with the Squadron Sport and you desire a higher intensity, I would recommend the Squadron Pro on an A-pillar mount.

OP
OP
DrewKD88

DrewKD88

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
IT Guy
Hi DrewKD88,

The LP series is really efficient because of the 200 degree spread it provides. But to best utilize it's features is for the lights to be mounted in front of a vehicle. It's not recommended to mount an LP4/LP6/LP9 on an A-pillar mount because the IPTs will actually shine into the cab. This blinds the driver. Instead, I would use either the XL series (4.5"x4.5") or the Squadron series (3"x3") in a spot lens. The bigger XL series provides a reflector that's double the size in depth and width. This means we get a wider spread and longer distance. For some, this light may be too big for a mid size truck and they settle for the Squadron. Since you already have experience with the Squadron Sport and you desire a higher intensity, I would recommend the Squadron Pro on an A-pillar mount.
I didn't even think about the 200* spread pattern shining back on me. That's great info right there. Curious as to why spot instead of combo. I would like to light up the sides as much as possible while lighting up down the road in front of me. Maybe I just need more lights.......
Saw the Onyx bar on display today ?

Baja Designs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Baja Designs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silverado H.D.
I didn't even think about the 200* spread pattern shining back on me. That's great info right there. Curious as to why spot instead of combo. I would like to light up the sides as much as possible while lighting up down the road in front of me. Maybe I just need more lights.......
Saw the Onyx bar on display today ?
Typically when you put lights on the A-pillar location, it's for two reasons. Either a ditch light (pointed 45 degrees from the A-pillar) or a spot light (pointed straight over the hood). I'm not sure if you've ever experienced glare on the hood before, but it can be very annoying and even blinding. If you plan to have the lights pointed straight, a spot lens is going to minimize the amount of glare. If you were to do a driving/combo, the diffused light is going to spill all over the hood. That's why we recommend doing a spot lens for that application. If this is intended as a ditch light, then you can use a driving/combo or wide cornering lens. That's because the light is not pointed over the hood and the diffused beam will be casted to the sides.
Sponsored