First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I bought a new 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat on March 28, 2020. I have had about 8 instances when I start the truck the audio is off. Twice the dealer reset the sync system, but other times they say they cannot find the problem. I use a publication from
MyFord Touch titled troubleshooting tips for Sync and do the cut off and on and disconnect and connect my iPhone and after a couple of times doing this drill the audio comes back on. I have no faith in the dealer to fix this problem and have
received no help from Ford customer service. Any help will be appreciate.
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Welcome Albert. When you say audio do you mean the radio itself, i.e. AM/FM, Sirius/XM, or something like Pandora? A little further explanation will help us to hopefully help you out.

One of my GM vehicles would just the opposite. I would turn the system off, and when I started the car it would turn on. Never got that figured out as long as I owned the thing. I just got used to turning it off again.

OP
OP

arhodenizer

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Welcome Albert. When you say audio do you mean the radio itself, i.e. AM/FM, Sirius/XM, or something like Pandora? A little further explanation will help us to hopefully help you out.

One of my GM vehicles would just the opposite. I would turn the system off, and when I started the car it would turn on. Never got that figured out as long as I owned the thing. I just got used to turning it off again.
The audio for the radio on all sources I listen to Sirius most of the time and the audio on the iPhone in hands free mode

OP
OP

arhodenizer

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
The audio on the radio and the audio for the iPhone in hands free

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I have a couple thoughts.

If you're listen to audio from your iPhone when you get out the truck is probably going to look for that source again when you get back in. If you closed the app when you get out it's not going to be ready. Have you tried using carplay?

There was also some ACM firmware comparability issues with the some of the Sync 3 updates. For example the radio would default to AM when starting the vehicle. I would make sure you have the latest Sync 3 and see if the dealership can make sure you have the latest ACM firmware/calibration files

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I see you are a retired LEO. Me too, 47 years of service
Oh yeah babe. Started in 1972 at the ripe old age of 18 in communications, then onto the road. I didn't make near 47 years though. :) Since we never figured out what was happening in my GM car the only thing I can think of that may give it a shock is to disconnect the positive cable on the battery for approx. 10 mins. Sometimes that reset will put things back in order. I have also had problems with my Android phone using SYNC, and rebooting the phone helped that problem. This new fangled technology is way past my intelligence level. And an iphone as out of my league. Unless there is a code set the techs at your dealer are completely lost. The days of the real mechanic that could trouble shoot a problem are long gone. Good luck brother.

Zanardi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Saber 4x4 Sport
If I understand your issue correctly I had this happen several times with my 2013 Escape with the previous generation/small screen Sync and twice on my 2019 Ranger with the big touch screen Sync. My instances were very sporadic however. On the Escape it would happen every few months or more. With the Ranger it happened twice shortly after I bought it in December and hasn't since - so about 9 or 10 months ago.

Each time I could cycle through radio stations, Sirius, phone, whatever. All seemed to function well except no sound.

I never figured anything out (I know - not much help!). Each time I would go about my business. I found if I completely shut the truck off for a few minutes (as in shut off engine, hop out, close doors) the next time I started the truck (and the Escape when I had it) the audio would work fine the next time I started the truck. It seemed just shutting off the engine and restarting right away would not do the trick. Maybe it takes awhile for the Sync to completely power down.

I figure it's just a bug. It always seemed to happen at start up so maybe the Sync unit locks up or something when it is booting up? In other words the audio wouldn't just cut out in the middle of a road trip. It would always cut out at start up of the truck. I know on occasion my laptop does similar for no particular reason. I reboot and all is well.

It does seem unusual yours has done it so many times. As stated it's happened to my Ranger twice and a good part of a year ago.

As a thought - do you sometimes start up your truck and start pressing radio buttons and such within seconds? I do that often and think I did that the couple times my system locked up. I notice it sometimes takes my Sync system about 10 seconds or so to fully "boot up". If you immediately start pushing a bunch of buttons and such while the system is booting I would think that could certainly lock it up in some cases.

Hope this helps a bit.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Albert, after Mike's post I remembered that my Jeep has done the same thing in the past. I'm gittin' old don'tcha know. To remedy that problem I (and the others that had the problem) had to put the radio on an AM station. Yeah, I know, that doesn't make any sense. But, it worked. The Jeep hasn't done it in over a year now. Hopefully yours will heal itself also.

rausa64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I bought a new 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat on March 28, 2020. I have had about 8 instances when I start the truck the audio is off. Twice the dealer reset the sync system, but other times they say they cannot find the problem. I use a publication from
MyFord Touch titled troubleshooting tips for Sync and do the cut off and on and disconnect and connect my iPhone and after a couple of times doing this drill the audio comes back on. I have no faith in the dealer to fix this problem and have
received no help from Ford customer service. Any help will be appreciate.
Sorry to hear about your problem. My Sync freezes whenever I try to connect to my house WiFi. I took off the WiFi capability a number of months ago and yesterday decided to try to reconnect to the WiFi to see if there are any updates. Same thing. Froze tighter than a drum. Took it off the WiFi, back to normal.
I would remove any capability of your Sync trying to connect to any WiFi and see if that clears things up.
HTH
Rich
Sponsored