Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Second attempt at this due to fat thumbs and little keys...

Anyone who has read my posts about our whale tails and antenna length and angles knows the frustrations of clearance issues. I am installing the level lift Wednesday morning. I had barely 3 1/4" of clearance using the Craven speed stubby antenna, so I talked with my go to machine shop and we came up with this aluminum prototype. The front side is a thru hole for a stainless steel bolt with washer and o ring , the under side is concave to mount up with our whale tail mount. The convex part marries up with the stubby antenna (made in 2 parts with red locktite) when I attached the antenna and the bolt I used blue locktite. I attached 2 pics one bare metal one painted black. I will run with this a while to see how it does especially in the carwash. It should help with reception at the very least and with the angle change I gained a full 3/4" so I have 4 inches of clearance from the lowest point of.the garage door weather strip and the antenna.

I also bought a stainless mast that's about 7 inches long , it was inexpensive, if I needed to I can heat it up and bend it near the base but that will only gain me a fraction of an inch since we designed this prototype to make the stubby level with the whale tail.

The only other thing I could possibly do to gain another inch is rework the header of the overhead door and add either an LVL or angle iron across the opening.

20210227_122839.jpg

20210227_120415.jpg
Sponsored