Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 2012 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The tray comes out easy, I start at the back, pry up with a plastic pry tool, then reach in with a flat screwdriver or trim tool and push out the two center clips. I then lose one of them into the abyss that is the dash, and the tray comes right out. Be sure to put it back in front side first or you won't get it to clip down properly.
Tray comes out easily. Start at the back. Seems you should put it back in front first but I never got mine to sit back on perfectly. Can’t tell though on my install.
OK; got it. Rear out first; front back in first. Now, where did I put my plastic trim tool? ...
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Until recently, "plastic trim tool"="anything sharp, pointy, and thin". It will be fine...

Al Gordon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I managed to get my tray back in almost like new (just a little dip/gap in the front middle), but it involved a lot more shoving and swearing than I expected. I have a couple of replacement trays which I ordered from my dealership - one for possibly re-working my ID-5100 mount, and another to keep pristine, to replace if I ever sell or trade in the truck later. I ordered a set of plastic trim tools from Amazon - I think they were worth the few bucks I paid.

OP
OP
Ranger #6

Ranger #6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 2012 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I managed to get my tray back in almost like new (just a little dip/gap in the front middle), but it involved a lot more shoving and swearing than I expected. :clap: I have a couple of replacement trays which I ordered from my dealership - one for possibly re-working my ID-5100 mount, and another to keep pristine, to replace if I ever sell or trade in the truck later. I ordered a set of plastic trim tools from Amazon - I think they were worth the few bucks I paid.
How much were the trays? Hopefully, not too bad. When I test fit the FT-847, screws on the bottom of the unit dug into the front flange of the tray. I figure, what the heck, these trays are probably not too expensive.

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4X4, FX4, Black package
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
I'm a little late to the dance here, but I'm picking my new 2019 up today. How about antenna mounts? I hate to drill out the roof of the cab like I did my older truck for an NMO mount. Anyone know about the 'pricey' mounts that appear to fit around the 3rd brake light? Right now I just need a small 4" antenna for 440.xx MHz that I use for DMR locally.

Thanks,
Forrest

tugger50

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT RANGER SUPERCREW, 2002 F-350 7.3 POWERSTROKE DIESEL
For the time being I'm going portable with a trailer hitch antenna mount for my yaesu 857D. With the removable control head It gives me some options for mounting in the cab later on.

W7TUG

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
For the time being I'm going portable with a trailer hitch antenna mount for my yaesu 857D. With the removable control head It gives me some options for mounting in the cab later on.

W7TUG
I'm very happy with my Ranger. Still pondering the Ham radio antenna issue. Even the very pricey 3rd brake light mount might not be a wonderful choice. The factory antenna would be almost touching anything mounted there due to position and swept back mount. Looking increasingly like a drill mount on top of the cab, a fender/hood gap mount or the even less desirable mag mount are the few choices. This 4" tall 440 MHz antenna (NMO mount) is what I had on my last truck. I'm thinking more and more this is what I'll do...drill.

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 12.51.07 PM.png

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I have an Icom ID-5100. The radio body is under the passenger seat. The head is on a vent mount attached to the vent that's to the right of the screen. Also not wanting to mar the paint or drill holes I built a custom mount that attaches to two holes in the frame at the back of the truck. Antenna lead is run under the truck bed through a hole in the back of the cab. It's behind the rear seat on the left side a couple inches up from the floor. There is a rubber plug there which I made a hole in for the coax.

SWR is 1.2. Only issue is I can transmit in medium or high power stopped at a light with the auto start/stop active. Voltage drops quickly and the radio turns off.

Ranger antenna 1.jpg

Ranger antenna 2.jpg

Ranger antenna 3.jpg

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Bhunted - All good stuff unless you park your Ranger in the garage, which I do. Having the antenna up high is of course the best position, but I did not want to climb up to lower the antenna each time I pull in the garage. The mount I made keeps the antenna lower, which is a compromise. Also, it's a fold-over.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Bhunted - All good stuff unless you park your Ranger in the garage, which I do. Having the antenna up high is of course the best position, but I did not want to climb up to lower the antenna each time I pull in the garage. The mount I made keeps the antenna lower, which is a compromise. Also, it's a fold-over.
Gotchya...:like:.
Wish I could keep my truck in the garage. Not enough room in the man cave. Effing :curse: birds keep pooping all over it like dive bombers.. ugh.

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
The only problem for me with the 3rd light mounts is that the factory antenna is right back there now and would be too close and look a bit awkward with an antenna straight up, right next to the swept-back one. Cosmetics, as well as electronics all, play into it. From the install video, I guess the placement of the factory antenna at the center back of the cab is a relatively new change.

If I went this way, I'd probably get the 1st one (VMP-AM-FRGR-2019) and put as short of an antenna as possible in each of the two outside positions. One for my DMR (XPR5550 w/detached faceplate) 440MHz and another for a wideband scanner. My plan is to put the control head in the dash tray one way or another and the body of the radio under the rear seat. No clue where I'd put the scanner (SDS200)....

IMG_9839.JPG

Not installed yet and I can see the mic cord would be a bit of an issue. Size-wise it sure fits.

Last edited:

Fjoyner

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Optometrist
I managed to get my tray back in almost like new (just a little dip/gap in the front middle), but it involved a lot more shoving and swearing than I expected. I have a couple of replacement trays which I ordered from my dealership - one for possibly re-working my ID-5100 mount, and another to keep pristine, to replace if I ever sell or trade in the truck later. I ordered a set of plastic trim tools from Amazon - I think they were worth the few bucks I paid.
Are we calling the 'front' toward the windshield or toward the inside of the cab? I pushed on the dash near the edge of the tray closer to the inside of the cab and that tray edge popped up. I never took the tray fully out, but now that edge won't click back down into place, which of course looks awful. Do I have to take it all the way out, angle the near edge in first, then the sides and far edge down (as well as the two retaining clips in the center)? Help....

Al Gordon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Are we calling the 'front' toward the windshield or toward the inside of the cab? I pushed on the dash near the edge of the tray closer to the inside of the cab and that tray edge popped up. I never took the tray fully out, but now that edge won't click back down into place, which of course looks awful. Do I have to take it all the way out, angle the near edge in first, then the sides and far edge down (as well as the two retaining clips in the center)? Help....
I'm honestly not sure how to describe how I got my tray back in, other than "shoving and swearing". I did take it all the way out at some point. If there's some expert out there who knows the trick to make this simple, I'd love to see how that's done.