First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT
I purchased a used 2020 ranger (with 100 miles on it) and the dealer only initially provided 1 key, which had only the key (no fob). They ordered me a 2nd key with the fob, but when they tried to program it the service department said my Ranger did not come with it (I did not get the 101a package).

Is there a way to add the perimeter alarm and to unlock/lock my truck?

I saw this part kn1z-19A361a, but will this give me these options?
Sponsored

2019hotpepper4x4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I looked at an XL that had just a key and was told it was not upgradeable. It’s part of the reason I ended up with the XLT.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Go to the stereo alarm companies. You might have to wait a while till they get set up for a Ranger.

Last edited:
OP
OP

jrauck

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT
I looked at an XL that had just a key and was told it was not upgradeable. It’s part of the reason I ended up with the XLT.
I could be mistaken but I believe if you add the 101a package you get this feature. Either way I got a pretty good deal on mine with everything else that I wanted, so didn't have much of a choice.

Go to the stereo alarm companies. You might have to wait a while till they get set up for a Ranger.
I thought about that, but I bought supposedly one of the best aftermarket alarms on another vehicle a few years ago and it would go off with a bunch of wind or on a very slanted driveway... made me want to stay factory if possible. I may look into again though.

2019hotpepper4x4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Jraux, I believe you are correct but I think if the truck doesn’t have it it can’t be added just by getting the fob. I think there are parts missing or maybe it can be added with computer alterations? I’m not sure on that.

OP
OP

jrauck

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT
Jraux, I believe you are correct but I think if the truck doesn’t have it it can’t be added just by getting the fob. I think there are parts missing or maybe it can be added with computer alterations? I’m not sure on that.
Yeah this I wasn't sure of. I know (or am pretty sure) that I can't just program the fob. Just wasn't sure if it was one of those things where the parts installed but I need to do some computer alterations, or if I can get a module that will allow me to add the fob.
I'm sure if someone was able to add factory cruise control, you could add this, but may be better to just go aftermarket...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah this I wasn't sure of. I know (or am pretty sure) that I can't just program the fob. Just wasn't sure if it was one of those things where the parts installed but I need to do some computer alterations, or if I can get a module that will allow me to add the fob.
I'm sure if someone was able to add factory cruise control, you could add this, but may be better to just go aftermarket...
Hi Jon,

You might be able to research this, but likely a lot of work. The big question in my mind is if the main 14401 wiring harness has the circuits you need to install the 101A components...if the harness has those circuits then you would be good to go wiring wise...component cost...maybe another issue!

Good Luck!
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
the perimeter alarm can be added no problem. the question I'm not sure of, is how it would affect adding a fob or how the other fob would be programmed. I have an XL with 2 keys with factory keyless and I added the perimeter alarm myself, but it did not change my existing keys, with attached fobs, it just added some protection.

OP
OP

jrauck

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT
Hi Jon,

You might be able to research this, but likely a lot of work. The big question in my mind is if the main 14401 wiring harness has the circuits you need to install the 101A components...if the harness has those circuits then you would be good to go wiring wise...component cost...maybe another issue!

Good Luck!
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
You make a good point, and I am curious about this as well. If this would work without too much modifying, I wouldnt think the module would be too expensive (a couple hundred maybe). I think the most difficult things would be to get my hands on the correct module. And figure out which module is actually needed.

the perimeter alarm can be added no problem. the question I'm not sure of, is how it would affect adding a fob or how the other fob would be programmed. I have an XL with 2 keys with factory keyless and I added the perimeter alarm myself, but it did not change my existing keys, with attached fobs, it just added some protection.
Hmmm, so does that mean that you did have package 101A? I thought the two were connected, as they both come on package 101A.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
Quote "perimeter anti-theft alarm is optional on Ranger XL" when 101A is added.

I would think the wiring harness should support it in the XL. But not sure about the lock actuators being install on 100A.

Had (KN1Z-19A361-A) Vehicle Security System - Ford Perimeter Plus added to my XLT for remote start. My company doesn't allow cell phones in the build for all you ford pass people. Plus my foil hat clashes with ford pass.

This is very close to the install guide in (KN1Z-19A361-A). Can't find a link to the 2019+ ranger guide.
Vehicle Security / Remote Start / Remote Access System Installation

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase

I would think the wiring harness should support it in the XL. But not sure about the lock actuators being install on 100A.

Had (KN1Z-19A361-A) Vehicle Security System - Ford Perimeter Plus added to my XLT for remote start. My company doesn't allow cell phones in the build for all you ford pass people. Plus my foil hat clashes with ford pass.

This is very close to the install guide in (KN1Z-19A361-A). Can't find a link to the 2019+ ranger guide.
Thanks for sharing this link, answers the questions I had regarding this system.

OP
OP

jrauck

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT

Sorry for the late reply, been slammed at work.
This is extremely helpful! I always thought perimeter plus, was just to add on to the perimeter alarm, but it appears it adds the ability to use a fob (both 1 and 2 way).

To answer your question even the most basic package 100a has automatic locks for the doors (not including the tailgate), so i would think it will work as well.

Going to order this soon and let everyone know if this works, just in case anyone else would like to add this.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
Recommend ordering from the site below and add installation. Dealerships i ask about this didn't have any experience with it. They were surprised at how low the install fee from ford accessory site.

Had part shipped to the install dealership and brought a print out of the order when i schedule install. Service didn't see that i purchased install. So, i got to see how much they would have charged. More than double the site price.

https://accessories.ford.com/electronics/vehicle-security/electronic-module-12157.html

NOTE: I use the fob that came with the truck to remote start. lock-unlock-lock. The other fobs are for extended range.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
RESURRECT! @jrauck how did everything turn out? I have 101A with only Ford Securilock. Does this 1 module give you complete alarm? I read through those instructions and came away more confused ford site site is telling me $50 install and that would be epic if it all does work as designed
Sponsored