Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2o2o ford ranger xlt sport crew cab
Occupation
retired/disabled Veteran USMC
Hello
New to ranger 5 but been reading post since I bought this lemon
Truck had 3000 when purchased fuel tank low started feeling vibration big time.

Took back to dealer had truck for a week
In process I informed them should check wheel balance, center bearing left leaf truck leans that way with 2 gallons of fuel
Informed the service manager of tsb on it fell on deaf ears

anywho,
They put a 2.0 wedge left side top n 2.0 right side top of differential but under leafs
Left the lil silver spacer plates in and the original plate under tension short leaf

took truck to a tire shop rear tires out of balance 1.75 oz left rear 1.25 on right rear

stll does the vin at 52-65 n quites down some at 70 but still hear n feel
Also I have 1 ear disability yet I can feel n ear it
Also I have neuropathy in hands no strength I grabbed the driveshaft and can move it any direction almost 1/4 in

read a thread back certain way bearing goes in Iā€™ve enclosed how mine are I think bearing is wrong ? ?
Also driveshaft according to images I have seen on phasing it is not phased itā€™s about 3 degrees off or if looking at a hand clock itā€™s at 8 instead of 9

so
What is going on thoughts opinions or updates I bought dis year 2021 truck is not used they used it as a demo and classify it new y ?

also , they did not give me or did it come with antennaand locking lug for ea rim
Also bed is not smooth to cab nor hood shuts raven and passenger side door air blows they seals are Kia

did I get a lemon ?
next step filing with the BBB of South Carolina
Only reason y I wanted a crew cab ranger sport xlt is truck 4x4 n I can get in it
My one I gave up was loaded 2013 4x4 Ford F-150 off road sat high but I could no longer get in or out safely

thanks ?. Front towards transfer
30234D5F-CDC3-4052-A535-20CD758C34D8.jpeg

Back towards rear end
9A7377C6-35B9-4F2C-B493-F28CFDE52727.jpeg

D91EC41B-4471-416A-AAC9-82FF0264A800.jpeg

Problem child
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello
New to ranger 5 but been reading post since I bought this lemon
Truck had 3000 when purchased fuel tank low started feeling vibration big time.

Took back to dealer had truck for a week
In process I informed them should check wheel balance, center bearing left leaf truck leans that way with 2 gallons of fuel
Informed the service manager of tsb on it fell on deaf ears

anywho,
They put a 2.0 wedge left side top n 2.0 right side top of differential but under leafs
Left the lil silver spacer plates in and the original plate under tension short leaf

took truck to a tire shop rear tires out of balance 1.75 oz left rear 1.25 on right rear

stll does the vin at 52-65 n quites down some at 70 but still hear n feel
Also I have 1 ear disability yet I can feel n ear it
Also I have neuropathy in hands no strength I grabbed the driveshaft and can move it any direction almost 1/4 in

read a thread back certain way bearing goes in Iā€™ve enclosed how mine are I think bearing is wrong ? ?
Also driveshaft according to images I have seen on phasing it is not phased itā€™s about 3 degrees off or if looking at a hand clock itā€™s at 8 instead of 9

so
What is going on thoughts opinions or updates I bought dis year 2021 truck is not used they used it as a demo and classify it new y ?

also , they did not give me or did it come with antennaand locking lug for ea rim
Also bed is not smooth to cab nor hood shuts raven and passenger side door air blows they seals are Kia

did I get a lemon ?
next step filing with the BBB of South Carolina
Only reason y I wanted a crew cab ranger sport xlt is truck 4x4 n I can get in it
My one I gave up was loaded 2013 4x4 Ford F-150 off road sat high but I could no longer get in or out safely

thanks ?. Front towards transfer
30234D5F-CDC3-4052-A535-20CD758C34D8.jpeg

Back towards rear end
9A7377C6-35B9-4F2C-B493-F28CFDE52727.jpeg

D91EC41B-4471-416A-AAC9-82FF0264A800.jpeg

Problem child
My advice is to find another dealer if you can and have the TSB performed again. A good dealer has NVH equipment and should be able to determine the source of the vibration. Sounds like the dealer is just blowing you off for the most part.

Good luck,

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
VinnHagakure

VinnHagakure

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My advice is to find another dealer if you can and have the TSB performed again. A good dealer has NVH equipment and should be able to determine the source of the vibration. Sounds like the dealer is just blowing you off for the most part.

Good luck,

Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi phil
Thanks for replying back
Pretty much my thought Iā€™m not sure any of them around good farther travel

alignment was done somewhere else pic included
Iā€™m going to shake them up regardless file bbb they deserve after all I been working on cars since 12

my dad taught me n went to school have done all my own builds n such from A to Z but this cannot do itā€™s warranted specific their going to pay ?

meantime I will look for another dealer they are over the lake so to speak nice drive
I been processing of eliminating things balanced tires helped some alignment helped yet the vibe still there I have it married to leaf spring u can see it tilt
Driveline
Cemetery bearing I just getting things squared here so I have ammo against them

thanks appreciate it very much trying to deal with this and apts at va is like kissing a rattle snake
?

OP
OP
VinnHagakure

VinnHagakure

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
you're predisposed to feel this is a lemon. once you stop convincing yourself it is, you'll be better able to sort out the minor issues
as Phil said, look for a better service department.
Thank you sir
Iam just doing homework to get it done appreciate it Ford evidently does not care I test drive a new one while waiting on this did same thing so they have a QC issue

61EA5A9D-2000-4B03-87C4-7C9BF2B1419F.jpeg

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
Does not sound like a lemon, but does have a few issues. I have had multiple customers upset with the Ford dealer not fixing their issues or being unable to diagnose their concerns. I haven't had the pleasure yet. You could always take it to a trusted independent shop (preferably with ford experience) and pay for a diag, then take that to ford.

OP
OP
VinnHagakure

VinnHagakure

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Does not sound like a lemon, but does have a few issues. I have had multiple customers upset with the Ford dealer not fixing their issues or being unable to diagnose their concerns. I haven't had the pleasure yet. You could always take it to a trusted independent shop (preferably with ford experience) and pay for a diag, then take that to ford.
So far Iā€™ve paid to have my wheels balanced because they were out of whack and I paid for an alignment today because my alarm it was out of whack and I bought my own and 10 AM I am locking lug nuts because I do not give them to me and I did not give me the work order for the previous work they did on the truck but yes I will do that Iā€™m still filing against them because itā€™s a mark against them they cannot be allowed to do that to people thank you for the input

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I feel your pain. The two closest Ford dealers, 10 & 25 miles, basically don't want to see my truck for warranty work since I didn't buy it from them. At least, they have said so much. I tried another dealer 60 miles away at first when the truck had about 3,000 miles (stock tires). They acknowledged my minor vibration and after two days balanced the tires and gave it back saying it was normal, that they drove another new one on the lot and it did it also. I tried my old dealer who is almost 1.5 hours away, and they didn't return any of my 3 calls prior to my appointment so I cancelled it. Then their customer service rep blew my phone up trying to see if I was happy with my service appointment. Unreal. I am 100% convinced my vibration is my slip yoke in the rear driveshaft. I can move it up and down (truck on the ground) and get a light clunking sound. The one dealer (25 miles away) said it was my over sized tires (and notated that I did not have stock size 265/65-17, but 265/70-17 tires) "likely" causing the concern. But, they also said there wasn't a vibration and it was a normal characteristic of the truck?? I am probably going to take the driveshaft off and go to an independent driveshaft shop to see if they can replace the yoke (had this done many years ago on an older Ranger for a much more severe vibration) and add a grease fitting. Sad that this is my only way to get this fixed. It's not a loud vibration, but it's noticeable and it's right between 55-57mph where I spend a good bit of driving time. I hate to say it, but when I go back to a full size truck in a few years, I'll probably buy a Ram just to get a decent service department in my area.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi phil
Thanks for replying back
Pretty much my thought Iā€™m not sure any of them around good farther travel

alignment was done somewhere else pic included
Iā€™m going to shake them up regardless file bbb they deserve after all I been working on cars since 12

my dad taught me n went to school have done all my own builds n such from A to Z but this cannot do itā€™s warranted specific their going to pay ?

meantime I will look for another dealer they are over the lake so to speak nice drive
I been processing of eliminating things balanced tires helped some alignment helped yet the vibe still there I have it married to leaf spring u can see it tilt
Driveline
Cemetery bearing I just getting things squared here so I have ammo against them

thanks appreciate it very much trying to deal with this and apts at va is like kissing a rattle snake
?
Hi Vinn,

The center bearing does jump around a bit but most of us Ranger owners do not have any start up shudder which is what the TSB covers. This shudder is sudden and short lived...maybe a second or two. My fear is they installed the shims backward and did not bother to check the driveline angles...been done before. A few folks have shimmed the center bearing on their own and some improvement has occurred for some of them, but there is no solid fix. Reason I hoped a tech would use their NVH equipment as it will give a measure of the frequency of vibration and may point elsewhere. If the vibration is constant over more time at a steady vehicle speed, you have a different problem. Folks have found out of round wheels, driveline imbalance and so forth. So if Steady vibration, then try holding vehicle speed and up shift or downshift and see if there is a change.... If changes then it is likely chassis related and if no change is likely powertrain related. This should prove helpful to a dealer tech... Just a thought...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
VinnHagakure

VinnHagakure

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I feel your pain. The two closest Ford dealers, 10 & 25 miles, basically don't want to see my truck for warranty work since I didn't buy it from them. At least, they have said so much. I tried another dealer 60 miles away at first when the truck had about 3,000 miles (stock tires). They acknowledged my minor vibration and after two days balanced the tires and gave it back saying it was normal, that they drove another new one on the lot and it did it also. I tried my old dealer who is almost 1.5 hours away, and they didn't return any of my 3 calls prior to my appointment so I cancelled it. Then their customer service rep blew my phone up trying to see if I was happy with my service appointment. Unreal. I am 100% convinced my vibration is my slip yoke in the rear driveshaft. I can move it up and down (truck on the ground) and get a light clunking sound. The one dealer (25 miles away) said it was my over sized tires (and notated that I did not have stock size 265/65-17, but 265/70-17 tires) "likely" causing the concern. But, they also said there wasn't a vibration and it was a normal characteristic of the truck?? I am probably going to take the driveshaft off and go to an independent driveshaft shop to see if they can replace the yoke (had this done many years ago on an older Ranger for a much more severe vibration) and add a grease fitting. Sad that this is my only way to get this fixed. It's not a loud vibration, but it's noticeable and it's right between 55-57mph where I spend a good bit of driving time. I hate to say it, but when I go back to a full size truck in a few years, I'll probably buy a Ram just to get a decent service department in my area.
You and I have the same symptoms that I do Sounds like you had the same dealer I did to, and did the same thing to me they said they drove it couldnā€™t hear or feel anything

yet you get in start driving and 50-55 mark starts vibing bad and did it when I was pulling my Harley on the trailer as well was way worse ,
I do know the lean on my left rear isnā€™t good ether yet it fell on deaf ears and service manager said he only does what Ford tells him to do itā€™s sad
This is my last truck n now they managed to pull one i us n my wife is owner and Iā€™m not they are shady by far and yes most dealers will not touch a vehicle you did not purchase from them
My brother up in mass is head mechanic in his own shop now served with him in Beirut tries and helps when he can
I guess the ranger saga is far from over I wanted to find a reputable machine shop that does drive lines here but only been down here a yr and spent most my time with drs so far
Thanks for the input much appreciated

?

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
You and I have the same symptoms that I do Sounds like you had the same dealer I did to, and did the same thing to me they said they drove it couldnā€™t hear or feel anything

yet you get in start driving and 50-55 mark starts vibing bad and did it when I was pulling my Harley on the trailer as well was way worse ,
I do know the lean on my left rear isnā€™t good ether yet it fell on deaf ears and service manager said he only does what Ford tells him to do itā€™s sad
This is my last truck n now they managed to pull one i us n my wife is owner and Iā€™m not they are shady by far and yes most dealers will not touch a vehicle you did not purchase from them
My brother up in mass is head mechanic in his own shop now served with him in Beirut tries and helps when he can
I guess the ranger saga is far from over I wanted to find a reputable machine shop that does drive lines here but only been down here a yr and spent most my time with drs so far
Thanks for the input much appreciated

?
look for a shop that deals with heavy truck spring and axles . I had shop that specializes in heavy truck spring and drivelines "Tampa Spring" realign my driveline angles on my 07 Chevy Colorado when I dropped it 2 inches , they basically had to cut the OEM bracket off on the center bearing and weld custom brackets.

OP
OP
VinnHagakure

VinnHagakure

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
look for a shop that deals with heavy truck spring and axles . I had shop that specializes in heavy truck spring and drivelines "Tampa Spring" realign my driveline angles on my 07 Chevy Colorado when I dropped it 2 inches , they basically had to cut the OEM bracket off on the center bearing and weld custom brackets.
Well the thing is my driveshaft two piece can come apart I had a truck in a year and they turned it to phase position only problem is the back driveshaft is off like if youā€™re looking at a hand clock itā€™s like instead of being at nine itā€™s at eight which thatā€™s quite a big difference

but then I go back and wonder I saw that Phil made a comment on one of the threads about somebodyā€™s marked lines that they put it on when they line up these things orā€˜s off thatā€™s how my ranger is on the front driveshaft their offer couple degrees as well theyā€™re not straight in line

by now the center carrier bearings got to be shot that was the other post I saw on one of the forms that somebody asked about which way does the carrier center bearing go in pictures I posted thatā€™s how my truck is but according to the one thread I read somewhere itā€™s not right so Iā€™m just trying to figure out heads or tails but I have to definitely look for somebody to fix it and itā€™s still being under warranty itā€™s got to be done by the shop

Said you buy these vehicles expect quality this is the first time Iā€™ve owned a Ranger all my trucks have been F2 50s an F1 50s and only if sheā€™s ever had with them or the crappy ass brakes systems they put on it my last truck I gave up for this thing I swap the brake rotors out and the pads out for power stops with ceramic pads and I never had an issue stopping I love them brakes system sees ones here you got a pump the pedal twice to get it to ?

Iā€™m a firm believer what is obtainable is learn a bonus knowledge so thatā€™s why I joined afraid somebody would somewhere will get a new update for 2021 on his 20 ranger is considering this one never left the dealership really it was just a rental it sat on their lot May 20 at 5 miles on it two months later and had 2000 miles and then when we bought it it had 3000 miles and then when I took it back to him thatā€™s when they did the pre-sales service on it what should I questioned us and arenā€™t you supposed to do those prior to selling the truck and they still didnā€™t get it right because I didnā€™t check for the antenna they didnā€™t check for my locking Lugnuts that they charge me $90 for thatā€™s the problem with having memory loss as well as my brain does not respond or calculate quickly differences or positive or negative in our question atmosphere they donā€™t kick in till day later so appreciate the feedback guys

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well the thing is my driveshaft two piece can come apart I had a truck in a year and they turned it to phase position only problem is the back driveshaft is off like if youā€™re looking at a hand clock itā€™s like instead of being at nine itā€™s at eight which thatā€™s quite a big difference

but then I go back and wonder I saw that Phil made a comment on one of the threads about somebodyā€™s marked lines that they put it on when they line up these things orā€˜s off thatā€™s how my ranger is on the front driveshaft their offer couple degrees as well theyā€™re not straight in line

by now the center carrier bearings got to be shot that was the other post I saw on one of the forms that somebody asked about which way does the carrier center bearing go in pictures I posted thatā€™s how my truck is but according to the one thread I read somewhere itā€™s not right so Iā€™m just trying to figure out heads or tails but I have to definitely look for somebody to fix it and itā€™s still being under warranty itā€™s got to be done by the shop

Said you buy these vehicles expect quality this is the first time Iā€™ve owned a Ranger all my trucks have been F2 50s an F1 50s and only if sheā€™s ever had with them or the crappy ass brakes systems they put on it my last truck I gave up for this thing I swap the brake rotors out and the pads out for power stops with ceramic pads and I never had an issue stopping I love them brakes system sees ones here you got a pump the pedal twice to get it to ?

Iā€™m a firm believer what is obtainable is learn a bonus knowledge so thatā€™s why I joined afraid somebody would somewhere will get a new update for 2021 on his 20 ranger is considering this one never left the dealership really it was just a rental it sat on their lot May 20 at 5 miles on it two months later and had 2000 miles and then when we bought it it had 3000 miles and then when I took it back to him thatā€™s when they did the pre-sales service on it what should I questioned us and arenā€™t you supposed to do those prior to selling the truck and they still didnā€™t get it right because I didnā€™t check for the antenna they didnā€™t check for my locking Lugnuts that they charge me $90 for thatā€™s the problem with having memory loss as well as my brain does not respond or calculate quickly differences or positive or negative in our question atmosphere they donā€™t kick in till day later so appreciate the feedback guys
Hi Vinn,

I have found that for some reason, which I do not understand, the rear driveshaft is indexed off by about one spline. I cannot get an answer inside Ford about this... Some folks claim this was on purpose, but I am clueless on what this accomplishes other to induce a potential vibration.

Maybe one day we will all understand this. Right now, I am baffled... Long shot is that there is a harmonic that the Aussies used the driveshaft to counteract... Next time in Dearborn I hope to connect with some folks that might be able to shed light on this indexing...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
VinnHagakure

VinnHagakure

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Vinn,

I have found that for some reason, which I do not understand, the rear driveshaft is indexed off by about one spline. I cannot get an answer inside Ford about this... Some folks claim this was on purpose, but I am clueless on what this accomplishes other to induce a potential vibration.

Maybe one day we will all understand this. Right now, I am baffled... Long shot is that there is a harmonic that the Aussies used the driveshaft to counteract... Next time in Dearborn I hope to connect with some folks that might be able to shed light on this indexing...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Well the front part of a two piece his face but when you get to the back and itā€™s off then they have like a yellow dot on the rear end flange they have a yellow dot on the back end of the drive shaft and then there is a yellow dot on the front half of the two piece but then thereā€™s like a pink and blue colored hole in the ants on the front flange on the transfer case to connect to the rear driveshaft I donā€™t understand that

I must know something about probably not too afraid to recall because of the deal has a lot of recall Harley Davidson just recalled 28,000 Harley Davidsonā€™s for bad headlights I donā€™t know why Ford canā€™t do that thank you sir I appreciate it

Rapid Roy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Retired
Sounds like they crossed the railroad tracks with it
(I speak from experience, don't tell Union Pacific)

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Trying to read this thread is like talking to a toddler with a speech impediment.
Sponsored