BlakeRom

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma
D
Active Grille Shutters, that's interesting. Haven't seen that listed before. Is that a standard feature on all models or specific to certain model or package?
Doesn't specify and says TBD for position so likely these trucks will have them but also a chance they can pull it.
Sponsored

Ugga Mugga

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Active Grille Shutters, that's interesting. Haven't seen that listed before. Is that a standard feature on all models or specific to certain model or package?
Usually I’d say an extra electronically controlled moving part is just another potential point of failure but I think active grille shutters could be worth the trade off for utility. Pickups already have large upright front fascias and the grille is large on the Ranger so that’s gotta be bad for aero and MPG. So active grille shutters could make a significant improvement on that front.

bravesfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
What Ford claims it will get? Or what it actually gets?
Isn't that basically how it always is especially with the small turbo displacement engines, most of the time people end up driving it harder and have negligible mpg benefits. The added torque down low will be nice tho.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
Isn't that basically how it always is especially with the small turbo displacement engines, most of the time people end up driving it harder and have negligible mpg benefits. The added torque down low will be nice tho.
Even driving my 98" 2.5L Ranger as hard as I could, I would still get 25mpg. That engine had about half the power/torque of the new Ranger 2.3L EB and was a single cab truck which makes a difference.

The new engine is about 2x as powerful and isn't quite 2x the size. Torque is also about halfway between the class V6 options and the baby duramax (class leading fuel economy). I would expect (city/highway/combined) numbers between the Tacoma V6 (19/24/21) and the Duramax option (20/28/23). So 20/26/22 would be a good guess. Those are the numbers I am currently using a placeholders.
Sponsored