Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

My solution to this problem was to power the add-a-brake directly from the Ranger's battery through a 10 amp fused circuit. As was pointed out, you need onboard power in the event of vehicle breakaway.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co Retired
Sponsored

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the reply. Too bad. Need to find another plan. Thanks.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Hi Folks,

My solution to this problem was to power the add-a-brake directly from the Ranger's battery through a 10 amp fused circuit. As was pointed out, you need onboard power in the event of vehicle breakaway.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired
Why not a normally closed Relay in a line powered by the tow vehicle which would switch to Onboard battery power only in the event of loss of power from the tow vehicle.
Even simpler... why not add a small battery box placed in the Ranger to run the supplemental brake system, then simply charge it from the Tow vehicle.
That would provide a consistent power supply, independent of the Ranger, which would still work in the event of a breakaway. It could be a small battery maybe even lawnmower battery sized or one of those little jumper packs.

Question ... does the Brake machine even require power to brake in the event of breakaway? Does it failsafe?

Last edited:
OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Why not a normally closed Relay in a line powered by the tow vehicle which would switch to Onboard battery power only in the event of loss of power from the tow vehicle.
Even simpler... why not add a small battery box placed in the Ranger to run the supplemental brake system, then simply charge it from the Tow vehicle.
That would provide a consistent power supply, independent of the Ranger, which would still work in the event of a breakaway. It could be a small battery maybe even lawnmower battery sized or one of those little jumper packs.

Question ... does the Brake machine even require power to brake in the event of breakaway? Does it failsafe?

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Floyd,

The add-a-brake is an air cylinder powered by a 12V air compressor. it clamps on the brake pedal. To stop the Ranger in a breakaway, the small air tank needs to be reapplied to keep up brake pedal pressure. This means the compressor would need to run depending on the pressure drop. There are other systems out there that use the RV' s air brakes. I am just using what I already have from my old 2007 Ranger.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co Retired
Sponsored