Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I will be towing my 2019 Ranger behind my Diesel Pusher Motor Home. I need, by law, a supplemental braking system, which I have...a Roadmaster Even Brake. It requires me to plug the unit into the dash power point. The power point is dead until I put the Ranger into accessory mode with the Lariat key fob/push button. Curious is once activated, even after the Ranger accessory mode is turned off, the power point stays live. So my question is: Will it stay live while the Supplemental brake is plugged in or will it turn off at some point in time....the owners manual (of which I am appalled at the errors) is about as clear as mud on this. I have tried my Ford Engineering contacts but have had no one that can answer this question.

Anybody have a clue???

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. - Retired
Sponsored

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

I will be towing my 2019 Ranger behind my Diesel Pusher Motor Home. I need, by law, a supplemental braking system, which I have...a Roadmaster Even Brake. It requires me to plug the unit into the dash power point. The power point is dead until I put the Ranger into accessory mode with the Lariat key fob/push button. Curious is once activated, even after the Ranger accessory mode is turned off, the power point stays live. So my question is: Will it stay live while the Supplemental brake is plugged in or will it turn off at some point in time....the owners manual (of which I am appalled at the errors) is about as clear as mud on this. I have tried my Ford Engineering contacts but have had no one that can answer this question.

Anybody have a clue???

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. - Retired
They turn off 2 hours after the vehicle is shut down. I have my cell phone booster plugged into the 12v cig port and that's the time frame I've measured till it goes to sleep. Same w/ the feed to the 12v in the back by the driver rear wheel and bumper that I've used as a power source for my bed LEDs. It seems all systems are shut down after the 2 hour time. Now for my underhood LED I just hooked to the + between the fuse box and firewall and then a wire to the - post on the battery. If your looking for always constant power that'd be the way to go. Use from under the hood.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I assume you have a 7point RV plug on your motorhome.
Wouldn't that be a better source for power to your supplemental brake device using the aux point?
That way it would not involve the truck's electrical system to power it.
It would be a simple matter to make a pigtail

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
They turn off 2 hours after the vehicle is shut down. I have my cell phone booster plugged into the 12v cig port and that's the time frame I've measured till it goes to sleep. Same w/ the feed to the 12v in the back by the driver rear wheel and bumper that I've used as a power source for my bed LEDs. It seems all systems are shut down after the 2 hour time. Now for my underhood LED I just hooked to the + between the fuse box and firewall and then a wire to the - post on the battery. If your looking for always constant power that'd be the way to go. Use from under the hood.
Good info on the time out...thanx!

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Really good to know. I use a thermo-electric cooler when I travel. My Taurus 12-v outlet is ALWAYS hot. So with the ranger I need to be aware it will only be "ON" for 2 hours or so.
Thanks

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
I'm glad others are running into this. I was just experimenting with this myself since my phone was still charging off of the 12v socket when I got back into the vehicle with it off. Was concerned that they were always live.

I guess the next question I have are the usb ports set up the same? I've not experimented with them.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad others are running into this. I was just experimenting with this myself since my phone was still charging off of the 12v socket when I got back into the vehicle with it off. Was concerned that they were always live.

I guess the next question I have are the usb ports set up the same? I've not experimented with them.
I'm not sure about the USB ports, as I can't be with out my phones for 2 hours :)

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Really good to know. I use a thermo-electric cooler when I travel. My Taurus 12-v outlet is ALWAYS hot. So with the ranger I need to be aware it will only be "ON" for 2 hours or so.
Thanks
I was just reading old posts and came across this one. I was just thinking, since I can remote start the Ranger through FordPass, that would reset the 2-hours for the 12-volt socket. So, if it was really hot and I needed to keep something cool while I was out of the Ranger, I can remote start it. That resets the 12-volt AND cools the inside. Mine is set for a 5-minute run, so that should be just good. Do it every two hours or so.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I was just reading old posts and came across this one. I was just thinking, since I can remote start the Ranger through FordPass, that would reset the 2-hours for the 12-volt socket. So, if it was really hot and I needed to keep something cool while I was out of the Ranger, I can remote start it. That resets the 12-volt AND cools the inside. Mine is set for a 5-minute run, so that should be just good. Do it every two hours or so.

No, it doesn't work that way. Remote starting will not activate them.

I have my LED light bar switch wired into the 12v socket to activate the relay and leave the switch lit all the time . It doesn't power up until I actually go to accessory in the truck with the key. Remote starting, it does not come live.

Sorry for the bad news.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Definitely power it off the 7-pin RV plug. That will save so much wear and tear on your truck battery. Hook the 7way to the truck battery, and power the aux braking unit direct from the battery with a switch. Everything will stay charged, and you don't have to worry whether or not your truck's brakes are still working.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely power it off the 7-pin RV plug. That will save so much wear and tear on your truck battery. Hook the 7way to the truck battery, and power the aux braking unit direct from the battery with a switch. Everything will stay charged, and you don't have to worry whether or not your truck's brakes are still working.
It might be better to run the brake machine directly from the AUX line.
The truck battery is an AGM battery which may not respond well to the motor home's charge system.
I'm new to AGM, but I'd say check with an expert.
The Ranger has different charge controls than the older lead/acid equipped vehicles.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you talking about the 12v cigarette power plug? That should be always on, even with auto stop/start engaged.
Are all the onboard power points the same? On my old Ranger one was keyed and one was always on.
The power on my RH powerpoint on my new Ranger goes off shortly after the key is removed. Same with the rear seat power point.
I haven't checked the left one in the dash yet.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
It might be better to run the brake machine directly from the AUX line.
The truck battery is an AGM battery which may not respond well to the motor home's charge system.
I'm new to AGM, but I'd say check with an expert.
The Ranger has different charge controls than the older lead/acid equipped vehicles.
Reason I suggest this, is part of the purpose is to brake the vehicle if it were to become disconnected, if it becomes disconnected, then it won't have power from the RV. AGM batteries are fine to be charged, I'd just make sure it's disconnected when parking overnight (probably overkill).

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reason I suggest this, is part of the purpose is to brake the vehicle if it were to become disconnected, if it becomes disconnected, then it won't have power from the RV. AGM batteries are fine to be charged, I'd just make sure it's disconnected when parking overnight (probably overkill).
Good Point!:like:
Sponsored