OP
OP
hawk43

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
If you've ever hand washed yours you would've noticed how thin they are. The doors give you that beer can affect if you press a little to hard on them. The first time I washed mine I was like wtf these are paper thin! But as @Spence's bumper sticker pointed out, you have to shave weight somewhere.

I hand wash it three or four times a week lol....I am one of those OCD guys that spent 45 years in manufacturing and my expertise is measurement and inspection....In the bearing industry .001 is a foot. We measure down to millionths of an inch...So yes sir..I noticed all those flabby doors too. lol
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, me too, I just touched the post at the gas station with the opened door (I know, totally stupid on my part to let the door swing out enough to touch it at all), could barely hear the impact, and, there is was, a visible (at least to me) ding, my truck's first. Sure, hitting it was my fault, but I was shocked that so little impact could produce such a mark. This thread has explained why!

forestale

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Manufacturing
Hey, me too, I just touched the post at the gas station with the opened door...
I did this exact thing after about 3 weeks of ownership haha. Oh boy was I pissed. Screamed a four letter expletive loud enough for everyone else pumping gas to hear me. There's about a quarter-sized dent in my driver door panel now ?. I'm hoping it can be pulled out or otherwise repaired cheaply by a body shop. Has anyone had any luck getting these smallish dings out of the body panels?

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I did this exact thing after about 3 weeks of ownership haha. Oh boy was I pissed. Screamed a four letter expletive loud enough for everyone else pumping gas to hear me. There's about a quarter-sized dent in my driver door panel now ?. I'm hoping it can be pulled out or otherwise repaired cheaply by a body shop. Has anyone had any luck getting these smallish dings out of the body panels?
Yep, "quarter-sized dent in driver door panel" describes it exactly. I did not even think to look at it at the station--the impact was so slight, who would have thought?--and so the expletives did not start flowing until I got home and saw it in the garage. My first thought, after the swearing was over, I mean, was "body shop," but it is hard to get out of one of those places without dropping some very serious change. If this could be fixed for hundreds, I would do it, but not for thousands....

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Had a 2015 Subaru WRX before my Ranger, didn't garage it at night. Acorn drops put tiny dents in it. At lease turn in the dealer pointed out hail damage. I explained acorns and he was just stunned they'd do that. I was happy getting the Ranger because my 2011 Ford Edge sat outside with the WRX and was perfectly fine. So this thread is a bummer for me, lol....

Also I'm glad I bought the Ranger outright this time and didn't waste time with a lease. With metals getting thinner and weaker, leasing is more dangerous than ever (I got lit up for $1500 for the acorn damage on the WRX).

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
I've basically just accepted that the body is what will fail this truck first.

Deleted member 1634

I've basically just accepted that the body is what will fail this truck first.
I'd like to hope that's true for any vehicle I own. Much rather that than the vital, actually important, components that make it move and work.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to hope that's true for any vehicle I own. Much rather that than the vital, actually important, components that make it move and work.
I totally agree - the body is just cosmetic - I'm more concerned with the functional parts.

Cavebat87

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Ford Service Advisor
Vehicle Showcase
When mine came in from the factory there was a crease in the driver's door. The dent guy worked on it, it is only noticeable if you know exactly where to look. At least I didn't have to get the door painted!

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
While in theory I agree, that's the one thing that isn't as replacable.

Remember the early toyota single sided beds? That's how I feel about these trucks.

Or even better, Scout IIs which I've had a few. The bodies were falling off them the year they were made, but the trucks never stopped running.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
One thing should be mentioned here with all the reports of small dings and such. With the aluminum panels, paint-less dent repair is a breeze. My father in-law has a 2016 F150 Platinum and he picked up a couple hood and a rather nasty door ding a while back. I saw the before and after and was amazed at how good the repairs turned out. I was not able to tell the panels on his truck had ever been dinged. The guy he took it to told him that with steel panels you really have to work and massage the steel to get it back into shape and may not be perfect, but with the aluminum it's so soft that the ding can almost always be rolled out to near perfect in just a few minutes.

If you pick up a ding or two, look up a good paint-less dent repair guy in your area and see what they say.

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Ah, yes, those good old International Harvesters. My brother saw a 2 year old pickup, unsold, in the showroom, with visible body rust! He checked the odometer, it had something like 7 miles on it so it had never been driven. This was in Wisconsin so it wasn't salty air like on the coast.

Imagine buying a brand new truck with rust on it. No need to wait until winter.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
When Jeeps failed the moose test it drew a good deal of negatively publicity, now the Ranger has failed the acorn test ? ( assuming such a test exits) I think it's legit to question it's toughness.

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
When Jeeps failed the moose test it drew a good deal of negatively publicity, now the Ranger has failed the acorn test ? ( assuming such a test exits) I think it's legit to question it's toughness.
Those new Jeeps are terrible, I was shocked how poor they are in a crash

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless