• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 16, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 16, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.

New York What's the difference between a 12v usb socket tested to the EN50155 standard for railway applications?

Tina Yang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
EN50155 type test is to do environmental adaptability test, electromagnetic compatibility test, electrical safety test and other testing items of electronic equipment of railway vehicles. EN50155:2017 can be applied to all control, regulation, protection, diagnosis and other electronic equipment used on rail vehicles. When the car charger passes such an authoritative test, it just means that its product quality is guaranteed, and some product problems will naturally not occur. So what are the main aspects ?

All electronic equipment on rail vehicles must be able to adapt to environmental differences such as different altitudes, temperatures, humidity, shocks, vibrations, surges, electrical performance, etc., in order to meet the needs of railway traffic safety applications. Only a high level of stability can be maintained to ensure a safe journey.

1. Shock and Vibration
2. Temperature tolerance test
3. Alternating humidity and hea

Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
EN50155 type test is to do environmental adaptability test, electromagnetic compatibility test, electrical safety test and other testing items of electronic equipment of railway vehicles. EN50155:2017 can be applied to all control, regulation, protection, diagnosis and other electronic equipment used on rail vehicles. When the car charger passes such an authoritative test, it just means that its product quality is guaranteed, and some product problems will naturally not occur. So what are the main aspects ?

All electronic equipment on rail vehicles must be able to adapt to environmental differences such as different altitudes, temperatures, humidity, shocks, vibrations, surges, electrical performance, etc., in order to meet the needs of railway traffic safety applications. Only a high level of stability can be maintained to ensure a safe journey.

1. Shock and Vibration
2. Temperature tolerance test
3. Alternating humidity and hea

Hi Tina Yang,

I am not sure what this post is really about. I understand that English is not your first language so please do not think I am being critical of your post. I do not understand some things. First is I do not believe the Ranger Vehicle has 12V usb... Also, when you use the words "difference between" it implies a comparison to another item...is this item the USB in the Ranger Pickup Truck?

I am confused...Maybe my old age, but I do not understand the reason for your post on this forum. Might you clarify why you posted here?

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
Tina Yang

Tina Yang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Hi Tina Yang,

I am not sure what this post is really about. I understand that English is not your first language so please do not think I am being critical of your post. I do not understand some things. First is I do not believe the Ranger Vehicle has 12V usb... Also, when you use the words "difference between" it implies a comparison to another item...is this item the USB in the Ranger Pickup Truck?

I am confused...Maybe my old age, but I do not understand the reason for your post on this forum. Might you clarify why you posted here?

Best,
Phil
Thank you for your reply, I just want to express what is the difference between the ordinary car usb socket and the car usb socket that has been tested by EN50155, in fact, mainly because of the test items included in this test

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your reply, I just want to express what is the difference between the ordinary car usb socket and the car usb socket that has been tested by EN50155, in fact, mainly because of the test items included in this test
Hi Tina Yang,

Okay...that clarifies your post. Thank you. It does pose a question for me which might not be answerable by you but maybe you do know.

Here in the USA our rail system uses pickup trucks that are adapted to perform on our rail system by systems that deploy special auxiliary Rail wheels. Since these trucks are adapted for Rail use do they have to comply with the EN50155? This is something of which I was previously not aware...

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
Tina Yang

Tina Yang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Hi Tina Yang,

Okay...that clarifies your post. Thank you. It does pose a question for me which might not be answerable by you but maybe you do know.

Here in the USA our rail system uses pickup trucks that are adapted to perform on our rail system by systems that deploy special auxiliary Rail wheels. Since these trucks are adapted for Rail use do they have to comply with the EN50155? This is something of which I was previously not aware...

Best,
Phil
I'am sorry, i can not answer your question. Regarding whether the trucks you mentioned are in compliance with EN50155, you need to send them for testing and see if the results pass.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I worked for Motorola for 15 years and the last 5 I was doing international product approvals on telecommunications equipment and standards development work. For the most part US standards and European Norms (EN standards) are similar but not the same. It was my job to influence the designs so one product would meet the standards everywhere but that was usually not possible and we worked hard to minimize the differences. My attendance at standards committees was to influence standards that would be in Motorola's best interest.

After Motorola I went to work for GE in the Transportation Sector. We designed, built and installed SCADA & communications systems for the rail industry. Whether it was along the tracks or on rail cars the equipment used was Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) that anyone could buy. The contracts would call out different standards the system would need to conform to beyond what the products were certified to by the equipment manufactuers but once the customers knew what it would cost to test and certify to the standards they would back off on the requirements.

The EN railroad standards came into being as the result of some horrific accidents in Europe. I am not familiar with EN50155 but US automotive standards for temperature, humidity, vibration and shock are very stringent much more so than what a commercial product would be required to meet.

OP
OP
Tina Yang

Tina Yang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
I worked for Motorola for 15 years and the last 5 I was doing international product approvals on telecommunications equipment and standards development work. For the most part US standards and European Norms (EN standards) are similar but not the same. It was my job to influence the designs so one product would meet the standards everywhere but that was usually not possible and we worked hard to minimize the differences. My attendance at standards committees was to influence standards that would be in Motorola's best interest.

After Motorola I went to work for GE in the Transportation Sector. We designed, built and installed SCADA & communications systems for the rail industry. Whether it was along the tracks or on rail cars the equipment used was Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) that anyone could buy. The contracts would call out different standards the system would need to conform to beyond what the products were certified to by the equipment manufactuers but once the customers knew what it would cost to test and certify to the standards they would back off on the requirements.

The EN railroad standards came into being as the result of some horrific accidents in Europe. I am not familiar with EN50155 but US automotive standards for temperature, humidity, vibration and shock are very stringent much more so than what a commercial product would be required to meet.
Thank you for your sharing. In fact, the reason why EN50155 is mentioned is mainly because I mainly contact car chargers a lot. At work, I encounter someone who asks whether the product has this certification.

OP
OP
Tina Yang

Tina Yang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
where do I send my truck.
I am interested in knowing if I am EN50155 compliant.

I hope if I am, it will allow me to travel the railway systems of north america with ease.
this opens up a whole new world of overland travel for me.
You can consult the official testing agency that does EN50155 certification.
Sponsored