First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT
Occupation
Chief Engineer
I figured I might as well make the first post in the suspension thread. how often do you guys recommend replacing the shocks? I looked at mine and they aren't looking good all rusted (like the whole underbody).
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I figured I might as well make the first post in the suspension thread. how often do you guys recommend replacing the shocks? I looked at mine and they aren't looking good all rusted (like the whole underbody).
Hi Peter,

How many miles on your Truck? Seems way too early for rust... Do they use salt on your roads?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Got any pics of all this rust?

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Most our our suppliers say every 80,000km (50,000mi) but most don't do it until they start leaking or feel the extra bouncing!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
In Michigan, most don't replace them until they fall off the vehicle, and even then they wait for a while. The undercarriage will have surface rust after year 1. It's nothing to worry about for the first 10 years as the stuff under there is very heavy duty.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In Michigan, most don't replace them until they fall off the vehicle, and even then they wait for a while. The undercarriage will have surface rust after year 1. It's nothing to worry about for the first 10 years as the stuff under there is very heavy duty.
Hi Chance,

I called the mufflers that were littering the roadway Motor City Armadillos...several times a winter we had to dodge mufflers in the middle of the road....Happy to now live where mufflers seem to stay on the vehicle for long periods of time...:)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Hi Chance,

I called the mufflers that were littering the roadway Motor City Armadillos...several times a winter we had to dodge mufflers in the middle of the road....Happy to now live where mufflers seem to stay on the vehicle for long periods of time...:)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Yessir, nothing's changed up here :) I drive through it all the day.
Sponsored