First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Looks like NV could be the second in the US to have a lithium mine. The mine will be the prospective supplier for both Ford and Toyota that could produce enough lithium for 370,000 electric vehicles a year.

I'm not sure how they think this is good news seeing as we out here in the west are in a serious drought? Lake Mead is at record low levels now and mining for lithium takes 500,000 gallons of water to extract 1 ton of lithium. ?‍♂

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/biden-backs-nevada-lithium-mine-140012533.html

The Energy Department issued a conditional commitment for up to $700 million for Ioneer Ltd.’s Rhyolite Ridge Lithium-Boron Project, a prospective supplier to Ford Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp. that could produce enough lithium for 370,000 electric vehicles a year. Project partners include mining and metals processing group Sibanye Stillwater Ltd.

Demand for lithium, which also is used for grid storage and weapons, is projected to exceed current production by 2030. The US relies on international markets for the processing of most raw materials, according to the department.

“Developing a US supply chain for these materials is a national priority as the country works toward energy independence,” the department said in a statement. “A core focus within the strategy is increasing the availability of the critical materials that are essential components of the clean energy technologies necessary for reaching national climate and economic goals.”
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Looks like NV could be the second in the US to have a lithium mine. The mine will be the prospective supplier for both Ford and Toyota that could produce enough lithium for 370,000 electric vehicles a year.

I'm not sure how they think this is good news seeing as we out here in the west are in a serious drought? Lake Mead is at record low levels now and mining for lithium takes 500,000 gallons of water to extract 1 ton of lithium. ?‍♂

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/biden-backs-nevada-lithium-mine-140012533.html
Pretty sure they will empty Lake Mead to push ev production.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
It doesn't have that much farther to go now. :facepalm:
it seems every time we are out that way, the bathtub ring gets lower. I know it isn't too far from having to turn the turbines off. Hoping with the snow pack in Utah and Colorado, that runoff will get into the Colorado River and help out.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
it seems every time we are out that way, the bathtub ring gets lower. I know it isn't too far from having to turn the turbines off. Hoping with the snow pack in Utah and Colorado, that runoff will get into the Colorado River and help out.
They say that every year and every year it gets lower. We've gone by there every year for the past 3 years and it's amazing how low it is.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Easy answer - just turn off the spigots for all that cotton, hay, corn, fruit and everything else grown in the AZ desert, divert that use to where it is truly needed lithium mines, as Al Gore famously once said let them eat lithium cake.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74% of water used in AZ is for growing stuff in the desert , plus not sure Arizonians deserve to take baths. Edit this to say not sure that they do anyways, but as it's often said every drop counts !

Last edited:

Theslim_spaydee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT (she gone) 2022 BD Bronco
Occupation
Finance
We were in Vegas when they found the first few sets of bodies early last year due to the low water levels for OffRoadeo. Truly a memorable trip even if I now have zero reason to ever go back to Vegas.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
74% of water used in AZ is for growing stuff in the desert , plus not sure Arizonians deserve to take baths.
It's a dry heat. We don't need no stinking showers here. :eek:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We were in Vegas when they found the first few sets of bodies early last year due to the low water levels for OffRoadeo. Truly a memorable trip even if I now have zero reason to ever go back to Vegas.
Were their feet really encased in concrete ? what will the mafia do once there is no more Lake Mead . And what will Las Vegas do for power should the generators quit spinning ?

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Were their feet really encased in concrete ? what will the mafia do once there is no more Lake Mead . And what will Las Vegas do for power should the generators quit spinning ?
I have heard that they would empty Lake Powell upstream to get more water to Mead. I'm sure that would have a big effect on farming upstream, though.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have heard that they would empty Lake Powell upstream to get more water to Mead. I'm sure that would have a big effect on farming upstream, though.
What I've read is that we will all end up paying more for crops grown in CA and AZ - esp lettuce, fuits and nuts, takes lots of water to grow an almond. I predict the Great Lakes region will see an economic resurgence sometime in the future owing to water and moderate climate. CO will be in a court battle soon if NE pushes forward will plans to claim more Platter River water.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
Stop bringing logical criticism into this. They are going to save the earth! Everyone must make sacrifices including you and your water needs. No one will profit off of these sacrifices you make to save the earth.
Sponsored