Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
So the diagnosis of my truck is done. Exactly what I told them. The starter shorted out. They said probably need to replace starter cable to battery. Yes since about 500 amps was flowing for about 12 minutes through it. I also told them to properly load test the battery. I'd be surprised it its still good.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I agree on the cable , it had to be getting melty pulling that much load , 1st time I've herd of a starter shorting out while driving , it's usually while starting... they going to warranty it ?

OP
OP
Synfulz

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I agree on the cable , it had to be getting melty pulling that much load , 1st time I've herd of a starter shorting out while driving , it's usually while starting... they going to warranty it ?
Yes for sure.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
So how far had you been driving after the last time the starter was engaged to when it shorted? ? Doesn't really matter , I'm just thinking that last start , it must have stayed somewhat engaged , but not enough to get to the flywheel, strange one ?... probably related to the barbaric Marijuana laws they have over there ...

OP
OP
Synfulz

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So how far had you been driving after the last the starter was engaged to when it shorted? ? Doesn't really matter , I'm just thinking that last start , it must have stayed somewhat engaged , but not enough to get to the flywheel, strange one ?... probably related to the barbaric Marijuana laws they have over there ...
It was about 15-20 minutes when we left from where we were.

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
Perfect opportunity for us to bash Auto start stop.

:LOL:

OP
OP
Synfulz

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Look who's home. So the starter shorted straight to ground. The jumper wire to the solenoid had no insulation left. Also replaced the starter cable. Battery turns out was fine. They load tested and said good to go.

20220802_162541.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Synfulz

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Also not sure if I am imagining, but seems after days of no battery it is more responsive. I have heard that when you unhook ecm it starts from scratch. Who knows.

Grandaccess

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I'm voting rats chewed a wire and it's shorting somewher. hope it really doesn't take that long for them to fix
thats what I thought at first too, I hope its covered under warranty, if they find that after market Dampener they may just tow it to his house
Sponsored