Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
hey Mishimoto, do you sell extra o-rings for the 2019+ Ranger catch can? I just got my kit installed the other day and it’s all good but I would like to have an extra o-ring or two on hand just in case.
Hey William,

Unfortunately, we don't sell the o-rings separately at this time, but those o-rings are also a super durable material that you shouldn't have to change for at least several years, if ever. If you do notice them starting to wear prematurely, just let us know and our customer service team will get your squared away.

Thanks!
-Steve
Sponsored

JRRangerAZ

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
I spoke with my dealership regard warranty after installation of a catch can. While they said installing it would not void the warranty, they could not guarantee repair under warranty if cause could be traced to the installation. How's that for squishy language? Has Mishimoto ever encountered a warranty issue with Ford on behalf of a catch can purchaser? Also, has installation ever "thown a code" in your experience? Thanks!

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I spoke with my dealership regard warranty after installation of a catch can. While they said installing it would not void the warranty, they could not guarantee repair under warranty if cause could be traced to the installation. How's that for squishy language? Has Mishimoto ever encountered a warranty issue with Ford on behalf of a catch can purchaser? Also, has installation ever "thown a code" in your experience? Thanks!
Hi JR,

We haven't had any Ford warranty issues that I'm aware of regarding any of our catch cans, but we have helped out a couple customers where dealerships denied warranties because of other parts installed (though the parts were never the cause of the issue). I believe one of them may have been a Focus RS whose head gasket had blown before Ford issued a recall and a simple email to Ford corporate cleared it up.

In our general experience, warranty work and modifications usually goes one of a few ways:
  • the dealership is knowledgeable and is fine with modifications, so there are no issues

• the dealership is knowledgeable about mods, but just wants to play hardball so they don't spend the labor on a warranty repair

• the dealership is completely oblivious and as soon as they see any mod they deny warranty work
In the last two examples, a visit to a different dealership or an email to corporate usually gets the work done without any more issues. It sounds like your dealership is somewhere in between the first two, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. Our customers have had their catch cans on for almost a year now and we haven't heard of any CELs with it, so we're confident you won't have any problems.

If all else fails, you could remove the catch can before going to the dealership for warranty work, though that is a bit more difficult with this kit due to its location. The other good thing about this kit is that you'd never know it's there just by popping the hood, so it's less likely that even a very strict dealership would flag it.

We're always here to help if you have any questions, even if they're not directly related to our products, so feel free to let us know if you need anything else!

Thanks,
-Steve

JRRangerAZ

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hi JR,

We haven't had any Ford warranty issues that I'm aware of regarding any of our catch cans, but we have helped out a couple customers where dealerships denied warranties because of other parts installed (though the parts were never the cause of the issue). I believe one of them may have been a Focus RS whose head gasket had blown before Ford issued a recall and a simple email to Ford corporate cleared it up.

In our general experience, warranty work and modifications usually goes one of a few ways:
  • the dealership is knowledgeable and is fine with modifications, so there are no issues

• the dealership is knowledgeable about mods, but just wants to play hardball so they don't spend the labor on a warranty repair

• the dealership is completely oblivious and as soon as they see any mod they deny warranty work
In the last two examples, a visit to a different dealership or an email to corporate usually gets the work done without any more issues. It sounds like your dealership is somewhere in between the first two, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. Our customers have had their catch cans on for almost a year now and we haven't heard of any CELs with it, so we're confident you won't have any problems.

If all else fails, you could remove the catch can before going to the dealership for warranty work, though that is a bit more difficult with this kit due to its location. The other good thing about this kit is that you'd never know it's there just by popping the hood, so it's less likely that even a very strict dealership would flag it.

We're always here to help if you have any questions, even if they're not directly related to our products, so feel free to let us know if you need anything else!

Thanks,
-Steve
Thanks for the detailed response Steve. Does Mishimoto have any stats on DI engines in general regards how long it takes to build up carbon to a detrimental level, presuming I do everything else right (i.e.: top grade gas, frequent oil changes, don't lug, let turbo spool down before shutoff, etc.)?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishimoto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Thanks for the detailed response Steve. Does Mishimoto have any stats on DI engines in general regards how long it takes to build up carbon to a detrimental level, presuming I do everything else right (i.e.: top grade gas, frequent oil changes, don't lug, let turbo spool down before shutoff, etc.)?
Hey JR,

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason the forum has stopped sending me emails for new responses.

The time it takes for carbon to build up on on valves enough to affect performance varies greatly between vehicles and engines. In some of the older DI engines, it took less than 30,000 miles for carbon to build up enough to cause misfires or catastrophic engine failure (BMW's N54 and VW's early 2.5 FSI engines for example). In newer DI engines, it can take closer to 80,000+ miles. It depends on the factors you listed, but also on the design of the engine's CCV system and the tolerances of the engine, specifically the piston ring clearances. On the 2.3L EcoBoost, we'd probably expect carbon buildup to occur closer to the 80-100K mile range, but we've seen in other EcoBoost engines that even if carbon hasn't built up yet, the engine is consuming enough blow-by to pull timing and reduce power, even in well maintained, low mileage engines.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks!
-Steve

JRRangerAZ

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hey JR,

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason the forum has stopped sending me emails for new responses.

The time it takes for carbon to build up on on valves enough to affect performance varies greatly between vehicles and engines. In some of the older DI engines, it took less than 30,000 miles for carbon to build up enough to cause misfires or catastrophic engine failure (BMW's N54 and VW's early 2.5 FSI engines for example). In newer DI engines, it can take closer to 80,000+ miles. It depends on the factors you listed, but also on the design of the engine's CCV system and the tolerances of the engine, specifically the piston ring clearances. On the 2.3L EcoBoost, we'd probably expect carbon buildup to occur closer to the 80-100K mile range, but we've seen in other EcoBoost engines that even if carbon hasn't built up yet, the engine is consuming enough blow-by to pull timing and reduce power, even in well maintained, low mileage engines.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks!
-Steve
Thanks again! I will likely pick up the catch can and install it when close to warranty expiration. The other-than-valve issues you mention are exactly why I installed one on my LS6 motored Cadillac CTS-V. Why these are not an option or standard equipment must be testimony to sales gimmickry. Good to know the Ford is not patterned after the BWM grenades!

Cheers,
John
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.