Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

My Ranger was delivered with a modem connection for remote open/close through mobile or smartwatch.
And I want to use this for outdoor activities. So leaving my phone, keys(in RFID-pouch) inside the car.

This would give me the big advantage that I can take my son into the sea, without having to leave valuables on the beach.

And open my car with my water resistant smartwatch.

My question however is that as I understood this modem connection will only work for a certain period, after which I would need to apply for a data connection with Vodafone. While I have an unused data line from Orange.

Does anyone know how to pass the Ford modem (integrated, no SIM) from Vodafone to Orange?

I have made several calls, but the Ford answer is to share data from my phone by cable. Which is not what I want.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
20191129_162558.jpg
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

My Ranger was delivered with a modem connection for remote open/close through mobile or smartwatch.
And I want to use this for outdoor activities. So leaving my phone, keys(in RFID-pouch) inside the car.

This would give me the big advantage that I can take my son into the sea, without having to leave valuables on the beach.

And open my car with my water resistant smartwatch.

My question however is that as I understood this modem connection will only work for a certain period, after which I would need to apply for a data connection with Vodafone. While I have an unused data line from Orange.

Does anyone know how to pass the Ford modem (integrated, no SIM) from Vodafone to Orange?

I have made several calls, but the Ford answer is to share data from my phone by cable. Which is not what I want.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
20191129_162558.jpg
Not sure how it is in other countries, but in the US, it is set to AT&T and cannot be changed (at least I've not heard any way to change the sim card in the modem). Also, in the US (maybe worldwide, too, I'm not sure) the FordPass connectivity is free for life now. It used to only be good for one or two years I think.

Lastly, any of these remote features will only work if you have cell service. Since I frequently hike where there is no cell service, I opted for a hitch safe to store my key while I hike. It has worked out well for me.

Hopefully someone has better answers for you...

SteamiestOyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
The remote service is always free (in the US at least). It's the mobile hotspot that is on a trial period.

OP
OP
Raptor-EU

Raptor-EU

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the previous replies. In the end indeed my main wish is to be able and lock/unlock primarily. But a wifi hotspot would be great as I have a free line available from another provider. And it would be great for my kids, a wifi music player etc. Without having to share my mobile every time.
As I will attend some BBQ parties. I also do not want my mobile calls shouted all over the party.
Hope someone can give more information. Otherwise I will just have to get an independent WiFi hotspot. But when the car already has all the functions, why not make use of it.
Sponsored